Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 24-10-2020

Default Moving from crystals to new 2.4ghz. Is range significantly better or hype?

Starting RC again after a 10 year break and I'm still with my old RTR level crystal transmitters and receivers.

Can I ask anyone familiar with both the old crystals and the 2.4ghz stuff. Is it really noticeably much better in terms of range? Also the glitching I sometimes get.

I'm still a bit of a novice driving my buggy in the street, park etc, though I do now plan to join a club next year.

Just want a few opinions before buying some new kit, and potentially being disappointed. Thanks
Old 24-10-2020
Mad Member

I was using 40mhz for a season or 2 when I came back to racing. Good quality kit tho not sure what you are using. This was more than fine at the track. Guess the range wont be as good in the park. Only changed to 2.4ghz due to peer pressure
Old 28-10-2020
Mad Member

I'm no expert on this, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is like this:

Low frequency: Longer range (waves carry further) but less data capacity (fewer 'waves' to carry information in);
High frequency: Shorter range, but more data capacity (more 'waves').

I guess it would also depend on how much energy you are using to send out your signal, but this is why a low frequency may be interesting for some applications (such as military) whereas your WiFi connection benefits from using a very high frequency, which is why many WiFi routers support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz connection: One for an acceptable range, one for speed so long as you are nearby.

For your consideration of crystals vs. 2.4Ghz, I think you need to consider that most the 'old' crystal systems are on a fixed frequency and can be sensitive to interference from other radio signals that are being transmitted in the area. In contrast, 2.4Ghz systems are 'hopping' from one frequency to the next using an algorithm. During the binding process, you ensure that the receiver understands the frequency hopping algorithm of your transmitter. By hopping frequencies, the signal is generally insensitive to interference.

3D Printing Upgrade Parts - FF210 Buggy

Last edited by Origineelreclamebord; 28-10-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 03-11-2020

Going to 2.4GHz from 27 crystals removed all my glitching and I've never really had trouble with the range. This is basic 2.4GHz kit too.

It's a lot better, try it with something cheap you can resell if you are unsure.
Old 03-11-2020
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

With my 3vcs on futaba 2.4ghz I could loose sight of it and keep range. Easily over a football pitch length.

My sanwa is about half but easily enough to race with. No aerial on the rx might effect it
Old 03-11-2020

Thanks for your replies. I've gone and upgraded to a 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver (flysky GT5) so have now found out for myself. It has indeed made a difference: I can drive to the end of my road road at least, which is about 150 metres away, which is what I needed, and so far no glitching during speed runs.