Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 10-04-2013

Default Daft question - but how do you charge/manage Lipo's?

Hi All - apologies if this has been asked before, I had a search but couldn't find anything.

I have just started back into RC and I used to use either a nitro truck or a car that had the old Nicad sticks.

I now have a Lipo setup with my B4.1 and I need to know how I should be looking after this battery. I have an Orion Rocketsport 4200 pack and an Ansmann XMove charger (with mains adaptor).

Its got all the cables for balancing etc - but what does balancing mean? its got options for charge and fast charge - do I need to plug in the balance cable for these also?
I run 5 minute heats at my local track, do i need to charge inbetween, if so, what setting i.e. balance/fast/charge?
And then... when I get home and don't intend to use the car until the following week, what should I do with the lipo - discharge?

SORRY!!!! for all the questions, but the instructions with the lipo or the charger are not the clearest, and would appreciate if someone could put it into simple terms.

Many thanks.
Jim.
Old 10-04-2013

Charging rule of thum is not to exceed 1C of the overall Mah when charging

So, if you have a pack of cells that are 6000Mah then you would only make charge at 6amps

I do know though that some manufacturers now though do say cells can be charged at higher rates than this though so check the document that came with your cells.

Personally I keep it to 1C so as to prolong the life of the cells.

Balancing is similar to the old days of Nicad and Nimh cells. Effectively if you have more than one cell one might hit full charge before the other. You effectively then 'over charge' this cell while the other comes up to full charge. this is no good.

Balancing does just that, it (depending on the tech used) will either stop the cell from charging that has reached peak, or to actually discharge the cell. this means as the pack completes charge both cells should be to (within tollerance) the same voltage and capacity of charge.

Personally I balance charge every time, though some will say not all the time is necessary. I do know though having done this I still have 2 packs of cells that hold a 8.4v charge at peak that are now getting on for 4 years old !

Finally yes, charge between rounds. You may not take everything out the battery, but after a few runs it will be close to being flat, and LiPo do not like being run to flat at all. I would get yourself a decent Lipo charger that has a balance port or lead, of which many are on the market at decent prices too.

Hope that helps

Currently utilising (abusing) Durango DEX210 / KO Propo Espritt III / Tekin / LRP / SpeedPassion / Savox
Old 10-04-2013

Thats great info thanks.

I think my charger is decent enough, and can balance etc. A lot of the other guys at the club use them or similar so it must be ok!?

How about storing them in between club nights? charge up and leave them?
Old 10-04-2013

Never leave them fully charged, this can damage them, but likewise don't discharge them either.

I as rule of thumb use the pack in a race, then thats how they will be stored. Not full, but not empty. Have one this for years with no issue.

Currently utilising (abusing) Durango DEX210 / KO Propo Espritt III / Tekin / LRP / SpeedPassion / Savox
Old 10-04-2013

Balancing is we're you make the cells the same voltage, a 2cell lipo has 2 3.7v cells that are 4.2v when fully charged. Balancing makes sure they are both even. This is so when you run them, if your esc cuts out at 6v (3v per cell) you get both cells at 3v and not 2.8v and 3.2v.

I'm not sure about your other questions but I hope this helps you understand 'balancing'