Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Broxtowe Model Car Club

Old 02-02-2014

Default best website for hopups

Hi can anyone tell me tha best website to get some hopups from for a m05
Old 02-02-2014

Hi Pablo. Were you driving the short wheelbase rover Mini Cooper in red with the Union Jack?
Old 02-02-2014

yes i was i kept crashing alot lol a newbee
Old 02-02-2014

The bodyshell looked great!

The good news is it doesn't take many hopups to make a competitive car.

It looked a little slow on the straights and was losing a lot of speed in the corners.

This is what I would do:

If it doesn't have a full set of bearings then buy some. If you already have bearings or do buy some, then soak all of them in WD40 in a jar overnight to remove the grease, shaking the jar every few hours. The thick grease is only there for storage, to stop them rusting.

To keep the motor clean and at top performance, spray it out with electrical contact cleaner each week. The motor will get faster and faster each week until it dies in a few months.

Replace the factory shocks with an oil filled set designed for an m chassis. Plastic or alloy. What's important here is shock length, not the oil or the spring rates, although short springs are a must. Use internal spacers on the shock shaft to adjust the overall shock length to 55mm. Final ride height should be 4 mm front and rear, measured from the centre of the chassis at the lowest point, adjusted using threaded collars or preload spacers depending on the shocks.

Replace the stock gear diff with a Tamiya ta-03 ball diff (built using thick anti wear grease, not the stuff it comes with). This will allow the car to maintain speed through the corners.

Buy the M05 front shock mount (alloy or carbon) so you can stand the front shocks up to almost vertical, this gives a more direct and predictable steering feel.

Your car should run some toe-out at the front to improve straight line stability. I use 2mm of spacers in the middle of the steering links.

Put 3x5 gram wheel weights inside the front bumper and 25 grams on top.

Try and move all your electronics forward in the chassis. I removed the roll bars allowing me to fit a teu101 with it's case removed on the chassis above the battery.

If anyone suggests adding weight to the rear, ignore them. You want the rear to be as light as possible.

Your tyres looked okay.
Old 02-02-2014

thankyou very much for your help is there a specific retailer online you could advice me to go too?
Old 02-02-2014

I use eBay for m05 parts. You'll find the sellers from hong kong are a lot cheaper for most stuff.
Old 02-02-2014

If you're prepared to wait 2-3 weeks for delivery then www.banzaihobby.com , you will not beat their prices.

Just ordered a load of hop ups in smaller orders with SAL airmail shipping. £25 for aluminium damper set, uk sellers want up to £74 !
Old 02-02-2014

thanks guys ill check that out