Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk > Aero Racing

Old 19-05-2008
Lee-Mag

well it doesn't matter if they are that straight or not, just as long as the lengths are the same when installed - just put the shocks side by side, or even lift the rear up and lower it down to see if one wheel touches first...
But yeah, I'm sure you can do the same on the back to get a little extra droop.

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 19-05-2008
Administrator

Old 19-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Oops, posting from an iPhone thingammy and it went AWOL and lost the server when I hit submit, so I sent again! Must have been a quick reply Jimmy to beat the second time I sent it!

Soz guys...
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLee View Post
I'm actually running a thinner washer on top of the assembly though.

One thing you have to be careful of is not tightenning the lock nut up full on the towers. The plastic inserts are designed to rotate on the srew rather than the shock so it wears the cheap screw out first. If you tighten the nut up it with bind, i noticed a car had that problem on saturday (won't say who though )

Its worth checking the droop, i can measure what i'm running if it helps? The longer balljoints are a must on the back in my opinion (on most of our tracks) if you run the middle wishbone hole.

If you are at Taly and want me to have a look on the saturday come and find me
That'd be great thanks Kev, with it being a long run I'll probably aim to get to Taly before the end of Saturday. I don't suppose you have a slipper tool I could use also could you? I tend to run slippers virtually locked (and very tight diffs too) as I like to kick the back end accelerating, but I am not convinced my way is best on that!

Thanks,

Dave
Old 20-05-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
That'd be great thanks Kev, with it being a long run I'll probably aim to get to Taly before the end of Saturday. I don't suppose you have a slipper tool I could use also could you? I tend to run slippers virtually locked (and very tight diffs too) as I like to kick the back end accelerating, but I am not convinced my way is best on that!

Thanks,

Dave
No problem, we can set your slipper on the scales aswell. Just pop over and we'll have a look
Old 20-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Wraggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevLee View Post
No problem, we can set your slipper on the scales aswell. Just pop over and we'll have a look
Kev how accurate do you find the scale's setup ?? and does it work for any slipper on there ?
Old 20-05-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraggy View Post
Kev how accurate do you find the scale's setup ?? and does it work for any slipper on there ?
Its very good as long as you do it right, its great at setting the slipper after a rebuild, and adjusting it in sensible amounts rather than just guessing or going by feel. It should work on any slipper of that type as long as the driveshaft on my assembly fits the outdive of the diff.
Old 26-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Jimmy,

Are you still using just whities but no spacer adjustments in the cartridges? I can't find any great replacements for the kit spacers inside the cartridges so am tempted to run "as standard" except for whities instead of red orings!
Old 27-05-2008
Lee-Mag

Just file a bit off the middle spacer, its pretty easy

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 27-05-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Filing it is easy, getting it near flat isn't, at least not with my tools/lack of skills!
Old 27-05-2008
oOple Advertiser

Dave, we can have a look at that aswell on saturday if you want, just bring it over.
Old 27-05-2008
Administrator

I just replaced with the whities from nortech, and the shocks are fine. The two times I've raced the car it's been really very good indeed once a setup has been found. Both times I've only got the car really nice by either the last qualifier or the final - and I just missed out on winning the last regional with it so safe to say I'm happy. I think filing the spacers down a little in my shocks would be a good idea - but they are fine from what I can tell.

I'm not racing this coming weekend but Jim Dixon will be racing the review Aero and I'm sure he's going to like it! We'll get his thoughts (and of course mine from when I've raced it) in the review soon.
Old 27-05-2008
Mad Member

And when can we expect this piece of literature? I can't wait till your review is finished

Old 27-05-2008
Administrator

finishing off the Xray 808 build at the moment so once that's out of the way I'll finish it up next week hopefully
Old 31-05-2008

hey guys, looking at the aero just have a few questions maybe you can help me with. cant find the answers anywhere really and sorta get the idea of others. So here goes;

DO losi/associated rims fit the a-one?

Spares? are there any to speak of?

Shocks, it seems like there is some trouble, whats the go?

Fit of parts etc and slipper/diffs, whats the tricks ?

The biggest Q of all, should we wait until they iron out a lot of probs before purchasing one? I kind of expect a skewed answer here but be as honest as you can, if you can. If anyone wants to PM me feel free, as I would like to get one or a couple but live absolutely nowhere near europe so spares and probs are an issue.
Old 01-06-2008

Send a message via AIM to redscott

I was wondering has anyone tried using associated or losi shocks. the car is cool on small minor jumps ans straights but, stiff and poor on large jumps.
I've gone from 40wt 2 30wt oil n the front using orange springs. n the rear I've gone from 40wt 2 25wt oil using pink springs. not sure what pistons im using. I left the piston alone since I know david gibson already did some of the shock mods that have been recommended on. just looking 4 options. by way thanks 4 all the servo help.
Old 01-06-2008

What was the setup of Martin Lee or Bob Claes last year at Kampenhout for the Belgium GP??
Old 01-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by redscott View Post
I was wondering has anyone tried using associated or losi shocks. the car is cool on small minor jumps ans straights but, stiff and poor on large jumps.
I've gone from 40wt 2 30wt oil n the front using orange springs. n the rear I've gone from 40wt 2 25wt oil using pink springs. not sure what pistons im using. I left the piston alone since I know david gibson already did some of the shock mods that have been recommended on. just looking 4 options. by way thanks 4 all the servo help.
Hi again mate, the pistons were at .052" in all holes as far as I can remember, also had the better orings and thinner middle spacer in there!

Someone told me Lee used Losi Shocks last year, not sure if anyone else can verfy that? Both Losi and Associated should work though, just need the right spacing at the top to make sure the shocks sit at the right angle!
Old 01-06-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
hey guys, looking at the aero just have a few questions maybe you can help me with. cant find the answers anywhere really and sorta get the idea of others. So here goes;

The biggest Q of all, should we wait until they iron out a lot of probs before purchasing one? I kind of expect a skewed answer here but be as honest as you can, if you can. If anyone wants to PM me feel free, as I would like to get one or a couple but live absolutely nowhere near europe so spares and probs are an issue.
Hi there,

Losi rims definitely fit, not sure about associated.

Think spares are fine now, in the UK theraceplace stock them (do you guys ship abroad?) but also the Aero website webshop is now open too, so maybe email them and see what shipping to your country is like?

In terms of tricks etc, only ones I know of are on this forum, but others may enlighten you better! Kevin Lee is going well with the car ( making A finals in the UK nationals) so I'd check out his setups/suggestions on here!

As for the "big" question, from my experience I'd say it depends how much "tweaking" your happy doing on a car. Compared to, say, the Tamiya 501x, I built that from kit and have never even changed the setup, and it just works quite well everywhere. Thats not true if you do the same with the Aero, however if you make the shock mods, do the little construction tweaks like filing the rear gearbox cover to get the shocktower to fit, and maybe follow Kevin Lees setup suggestions (weight in the rear, short wheelbase etc) then I'd guess its already a very good car, and those adjustments are much less than needed on some other kits to make them work!

PS I think the reason for the slow responses from everyone is that we've all been at the latest UK national!
Old 02-06-2008
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post

Hi,

Losi rears are identical fitment and offset so you can use Aero/Losi/Associated rear wheels. On the front aero have slightly shorter wishbones and more offset on the wheel so Losi front wheels will fit but will give a slightly narrower car.

Spares are available in the UK from the raceplace.co.uk or direct from the Aero site, i'm sure either could get them to you somehow.

the shocks are very good, they are just improved by having the seals replaced (i'd recommend the Nortec whiteys) and that frees them up, Aero are looking at this for the future though. You also will need to drill the pistons as they come with a pilot hole, but again Aero are working on a range of pistons.

The fit and finish is very good and the car is simple to build and work on.

The main problem with the first release was the plastic (at cold temps) but that was resolved quickly and people who already had purchased the car got replacement parts. The car is extremely strong now so you can be sure of that.

I hope that helps