Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 12-06-2008

Default Have I killed my brushless motor???

Hey, I had a bit of trouble to say the least at the weekend with my brushless systems, when I got home I took the end off my motor (it's a Reedy Neo) and noticed that between the main silver contacts there is on either side a small brown link which I asume is some sort of resistor, but unfortunately they seem to have come unattached. I've tried to resolder them but to no avail, anyone got any ideas or is it just a throw away job?
Old 26-06-2008

That is most likely the hall effect switch. There should be 3 or 6 of them. I dont know for sure how many LRP has. In any event you need to send it in for repair or get a new one. Unless you want to run it on a sensorless esc like the Tekin R1 Pro or the Castle Momba Max. Then just remove all that junk and go for it.
Michael....... 3 Phase Racing / Schumacher / Max Amps / Tekin Brushless / FMA lipo chargers / Neu Motors / Multiplex 707 / Adrenaline Racers Club ........... Photo 1/8 Schumacher GTR-e blowing the doors off the nitro guys

Last edited by RURC; 26-06-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: worng word used replaced 'dent' with send. Sorry
Old 26-06-2008

I believe it is one of the capacitor that reduces electrical noise. You cannot solder it with a normal iron, it's a SMC capacitor.
Usually, given the low radio interference produced by a BL motor, it should work without. If not, maybe something else is damaged and the unsoldered capacitor is a side-effect .
Old 26-06-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

actually, I think you are both wrong, there is not interference from a brushless in the same as we would get from a brushed. What is more than likely it is, is a thermistor, as the hal sensor also monitors temperature, and will cause, depending on the system, either a performance drop or a complete cut-out of power.

Give your supplier a call if the motor is reasonably new.
Old 26-06-2008
Super Moderator

If it's small and brown it is a surface mount capacitor, I've seen them on other motors between the wire 'tabs'.

Resistors tend to have numbers on, so would a thermistor.

If you can post a pic I can tell you for sure.