Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 21-11-2006

Default Yokomo SD ready for off road

I wanted to share some pictures of my Yokomo SD conversion with you all. Hopefully it will give you some ideas and excite you to make your own conversion (for any manufacturer not just Yokomo)...

I made a couple Yokomo SD conversions starting a couple years ago. Unfortunately I have had very little time to optimize the design so little has changed this year. Overall the second generation design seems to work well, although there are some issues with rear diff durability that I still need to work on.

If you are interested you can check out the history of the designs from my website (http://members.aol.com/dyingslow) and follow the links to "Off Road" and "Yokomo SD and MR4-BC hybrid".

Building your own vehicle or modifying an existing vehicle has been a great experience for me and I highly recomend it to anyone who thinks they have a good idea.

Some advise from me: Taking a little extra time in the designing stage to review all the failure mechanisms and develop countermeasures will save you hours / day / months of development latter on... trust me...

Dyingslow
Old 21-11-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyingslow View Post
I wanted to share some pictures of my Yokomo SD conversion with you all. Hopefully it will give you some ideas and excite you to make your own conversion (for any manufacturer not just Yokomo)...

I made a couple Yokomo SD conversions starting a couple years ago. Unfortunately I have had very little time to optimize the design so little has changed this year. Overall the second generation design seems to work well, although there are some issues with rear diff durability that I still need to work on.

If you are interested you can check out the history of the designs from my website (http://members.aol.com/dyingslow) and follow the links to "Off Road" and "Yokomo SD and MR4-BC hybrid".

Building your own vehicle or modifying an existing vehicle has been a great experience for me and I highly recomend it to anyone who thinks they have a good idea.

Some advise from me: Taking a little extra time in the designing stage to review all the failure mechanisms and develop countermeasures will save you hours / day / months of development latter on... trust me...

Dyingslow
looks sweet, nice design mate
Old 21-11-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via AIM to BenG Send a message via MSN to BenG

your sites cool too. I am making a custom 2wd buggy myself, so it was of great interest
Old 21-11-2006

Send a message via MSN to ryan

that is wicked!!! i love that lol. shame it hasnt got 3x3 or 4x2 i rekon that would be awesome. on a smooth track or indoors that would be great. i want one lol

Ryan
Old 21-11-2006
Stu-Perstar

To Dieslow, Just to say what a fantastic concept. It looks cool and it looks like it would go as good as it looks too. You next step to make it better is a mid motor and that will make the rear end better. Please continue doing what you are doing. Fantastic. Well done. Wish I had the skills to do something like this.:smile:
Old 21-11-2006
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to xx4-nutter

looks cool, i made one a year or 2 back, with the silver surface one with mr4 bc arms and yokomo shocks , first night out with it nothing broke and it went like shit of the end of a stick lol
Old 25-11-2006

Ha ha, an SD based buggy brings back memories.

Here's the one i raced in the 2004 Nats and Euros.
http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/mako/
Was a great car and performed well. Was a shame I had to stop running it. It just needed a couple of bespoke alloy pieces manufactured and a bit of £££ put in to the project.
Was ahead of it's time with the 3x3 cells and B4 slipper.
Old 02-12-2006
LeeOtard

t-tech have had 3-3 cells for ages....and the xx4......ahem....
Old 02-12-2006

ok, I know saddle cells ain't new as i have CAT XLS with them and i'm sure there were plenty before that.

Kinda meant that the closest car to it at the time (in config) was the original BJ4. The biggest changes from that to the BJ4 WE was 3x3 cells and B4 slipper which the mako (yes, crap name!) already had.
Old 06-12-2006
Administrator

woOdy, you do have the skills for this, its called your dad! get him on the case.

I think you should showcase that coke-can gearbox, thats the greatest ! hehe
Old 06-12-2006
LeeOtard

???????????