Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 19-11-2006

Default Is it good enough?

Im not writing this thread to ruffle feathers or stir up pooh. Im merely looking from the outside in as im not a competion buggy owner, yet.
But to all the XXX4/XX4 owners out there I have this question.
How do you think the XXX4/XX4 buggy is competing against the likes of the BJ4's, MR4-BX, X10's etc. It seems to be a proven design over the years and price wise seems to be good value for money when compared to the carbon/alloy'd competion. But performance/reliability wise etc, how well does it do?
Old 19-11-2006
BANNED

Of course they are, XX4's & XXX4's have been the dominant force at the nationals for a good few years.

Cost & ease of maintanence - XXX4 must be number 1.

XX4 is a bit faster on bumpy tacks, but is a bit harder to maintain and work on. Unless you are a top level driver the performace advantage is minimal.

What car is 'in favour' is more to do with fashon than performance, especially to those who are not top level drivers.

The fancy carbon/ally things are all very nice but there is negligable performance advantage to the average driver. The top level drivers will always say they are better but that's only becuase they are fortunate enough to be able to run them.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.

Last edited by Stu; 20-11-2006 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Reworded.
Old 19-11-2006

Thanks for replying Stu. Im sorry if the thread heading seemed derogatory, it certanly wasnt meant to be. Infact 6-7 or so years ago, the XX4 was my dream buggy, after my first season at club racing . Im contemplating treating myself to an early Xmas pressy and I have a soft spot for the Losi. It's certainly testament to the buggy that its still holding its own for so long now. Im becomming more and more tempted
Old 19-11-2006
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Stu has hit the nail on the head. As a XX4 owner, I love the car. It drives itself most of the time, but after having broken 1 rear outdrive and 1 front belt I am weary of more breakages down the line as neither of these were particulaly easy to repair. I've not driven any other 4WD cars mentioned but know people that have and are NOT Helgar sponsored who are converting to the XX4/XXX4 because they are such a great car to drive.
Old 19-11-2006
Administrator

Stu, the reason to use carbon and alloy is because its cheaper than moulding in this small class of racing. Nothing to do with fancyness.
Old 20-11-2006

Untill i drove the Slim 4 last year, I had been running an XX4 for 5 years minus half a year trying the XXX4.

In that time the car has had its fair share of driver initiated breakages. However you will not brake things just like that if you build the car properly and dont give a half arse attempt at maintaining it.

The belts will not break for at least whole season IF YOU SET THE SLIPPER CORRECTLY. I have gone 2 seasons on a set of green belts all round culminating in winning the F3's in 2005 before the car retired.

The XX4 is not as shaft cars on immediate acceleration but for what it lacks there it makes up for on a great handling chassis through the corners and the bumps.
Old 20-11-2006
oOple Tattoo Dancer!

ive tryed most 4wd buggys bj4 we x10 yokomo and losi xxx4 ive just swapped my bj4we for a x5 i wanted a xx4 style car but the one belt drive helped sway me to the x5 if that helps
Old 20-11-2006
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Stu, the reason to use carbon and alloy is because its cheaper than moulding in this small class of racing. Nothing to do with fancyness.
100% right. You have to hand it to X-factory for going there with moulding.
If it was not for the 'fancy' stuff things would be quite boring, with only a couple of different types are car running.
My point is that while something like the slim4 is obviuosly a very nice thing (that tub looks like work of art), it's not a performance advantage for the average driver.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.

Last edited by Stu; 20-11-2006 at 10:41 PM.
Old 20-11-2006
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
My point is that while something like the slim4 is obviuosly a very nice thing (that tub looks like work of art), it's not a performance advantage for the average driver.
Not too sure on that one, I think most RC drivers can tell the difference between a good and a bad car on the track. If not in the way that it feels but in more consistent or faster lap times.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 21-11-2006

Well, im pretty much made my mind up then. Just need to choose between the XX-4 we or the Graphite+, although im not going to be seriously competing , more club/casual racing.
On a similar note I have a LRP Sphere Comp and a 4* motor. Im thinking the 4* is too hot for the either of the xx/x4's. Are any of you guys running brushless? If so, what motors?
Old 22-11-2006
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

loads of brushless motor around at the moment. 4* will be seriously fast though. 5.5 or even 6 would be about right for most indoor tracks.
Old 13-12-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimboyfat View Post
Untill i drove the Slim 4 last year, I had been running an XX4 for 5 years minus half a year trying the XXX4.

In that time the car has had its fair share of driver initiated breakages. However you will not brake things just like that if you build the car properly and dont give a half arse attempt at maintaining it.

The belts will not break for at least whole season IF YOU SET THE SLIPPER CORRECTLY. I have gone 2 seasons on a set of green belts all round culminating in winning the F3's in 2005 before the car retired.

The XX4 is not as shaft cars on immediate acceleration but for what it lacks there it makes up for on a great handling chassis through the corners and the bumps.
Anyone have any tips on correct slipper adjustment.
Old 14-12-2006

So briefly, are there any major mods needed to be done on the XX4WE to make it any better?
Old 14-12-2006

from a new xx4 we kit you'll need -

orange and blue pistons
red rear and silver + green front springs

other options but not essential -

trinity style motor clamp
front 1way
x factory pivot screws

thats it apart from spares and tires
Old 14-12-2006

Thanks for that, that will get me started