Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 18-01-2009

Default Anybody running the Novak Sport Sensored 8.5 in a DB01?

http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...ort/index.html

I've been looking at that pretty seriously for my Durga. Currently I've got the silver kit 540 in the car and while it's acceptable for driving around the house annoying the dogs, it'll be pretty woefully inadequate for any outdoor bashing/racing when summer rolls around.

Is anyone using one of these in a Durga or otherwise? I haven't found much in the way of reviews, though it seems nearly too good to be true. 8.5 Novak brushless for $130US? An 8.5 on loose surface in a Durga should be more than enough for loose surface outdoor tracks, which is all that's around me.

Any thoughts? At that price, it leaves me money to pick up a slipper, 501 dampers, aluminum suspension mounts and some better loose surface tires. Previous to seeing this, I was going to buy the Novak 5.5R GTB system, but this seems like it'd be awfully close in performance on a loose track, especially at my rather amateur skill level.
Old 18-01-2009

The Havok seems good, it has a sintered rotor which I think is the important part (the bonded rotor motors were lame). I have a 'Pro' 8.5 which is a Velociti style can motor, seems quite powerful at not a lot of wattage, the Havok style should be ok also with the way they are made now. Follow Novak's gearing recommendations with maybe going up one tooth on the pinion from there if temps allow and you should be happy.
Old 26-01-2009

Matey has a 6.5L Velociti in his Durga, seems plenty fast enough.
Old 27-01-2009

Well, I was about to buy the Havoc system but my urge for more speed caused me to get the GTB 6.5R system instead. I just installed and gave it a quick run outside and it's absolutely a blast with an 18t pinion, and it's dead cool (though it's about -1c outside).