Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 15-10-2009

Default Changing Wire, Nosram Matrix

i need to change the wires to longer ones on my nosram matrix speedo, after reading in the instructions it says avoid soldering for more that 5 seconds per soldering joint. I put the soldering iron on on the tab on the speedo for around 10 seconds and solder never started melting however the speedo started to warm up, am i ok to leave the soldering iron on for longer than about 10 seconds without causing any damage?
Old 15-10-2009
Mad Member

Sounds like you are going at it with a soldering iron that isn't powerfull enough.
You need a good soldering iron with a large tip to do this properly and yes the speedo is going to get warm because the fets will dump a lot of heat into the heatsink.
Old 16-10-2009

DO NOT even chance over heating it... i would get an iron with a bigger tip and see if that helps (it should) and if it doesn't then you need to get a more powerful iron...

the reason i say do not chance over heating ur speedo is cuz since everything is such sensitive electronics now you could fry the smallest component and not even realize it until it is too late and your car goes out of control (as mine has :P)

-Jim
Old 16-10-2009

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow.2 View Post
Sounds like you are going at it with a soldering iron that isn't powerfull enough.
You need a good soldering iron with a large tip to do this properly and yes the speedo is going to get warm because the fets will dump a lot of heat into the heatsink.
I agree with both your advisors and would say if you are using a soldering iron with less than 70 watts power then that is the problem.

I would also suggest cutting the wire to within 1'' of the esc so the heat gets to the joint quicker, hold the wire with plyers and the esc slightly off a surface so the weight of the esc pulls the joint away from the wire, reducing the time heat is being applied.

When attaching the new wire, tin the wire and then the post on the esc first, then load the iron with more solder, take the wire in plyers to the post put the wire in the position you want it to be and apply the iron to the wire.

You will find it takes less than a couple of seconds to complete the joint and vici verser.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 16-10-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

You can use a lesser Watt iron (I use a 50) but only if you have a large enough tip to store enough energy to do the joint and let it get hot enough in the first place and then let it build back up heat between each joint.

My fully warmed up WASP 50W iron will unsolder a joint almost instantly

Nortech is ACE!
Old 16-10-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

make sure the tip has wet solder on there, this will also help the heat transfer from iron to tab quicker.and let the iron really warm up first.
Old 16-10-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

I found that the factory solder isnt always the easiest to melt. That could be a factor here.

A

I always thought by 2013 we would have flying cars, but we have got blankets with sleeves!