Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 01-02-2010
EX-Member

So from the above posts, what's the advise? Cut or not to cut, that is the Question !!
Old 01-02-2010

Spring to long and car to high.... Cut
Old 01-02-2010
Mad Member

Can someone clarify which caster blocks are 14 degree? I am running alloy 12deg blocks at the moment:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVRC2&P=OW

However, I'd like to try 14 deg blocks.
Old 01-02-2010
LeeOtard

they will have 14 engraved on them like the 12's have.
Old 01-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post
they will have 14 engraved on them like the 12's have.
Doh! Thanks. . . . . Ill get my coat.
Old 01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge View Post
griffs aint that pretty!!!! hahahaha!!!

correct EG94, although having a lower car is better than having a high one with permenately compressed springs, in relation making them stiffer

:-p
Compressing (increasing pre-load) a spring does not make it stiffer, it only increases your ride height. Instead of cutting the springs, it would be much better to simply remove the adjustable spring perch, or cut the lower ball-cups. Either of these will move the upper & lower spring perches further away from eachother to lower the car. Without any preload at full droop, your springs would constantly fall off the upper perch and get stuck.

The truth is we NEED different springs. Tamiya should come out with a DB01 spring set for the rear that are the same/similar rates, but slightly shorter overall. That would solve all our problems...

BTW: What's the part number for the 14* caster blocks?
Old 01-02-2010
LeeOtard

you can start cutting and changing, personally im gonig to cut the spring!
As i did at petit and that did not make the car worse...it made it better.......

So with my experience, although yes it will increase the rate of the spring. the effect is worth it.
Old 01-02-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

or just use AE springs, like I do....
Old 01-02-2010
LeeOtard

that does not really work either, when i used to cut down the springs on the rear of my B44 to get it to the correct height............................................ ...........................

i dont like the idea of taking out the threaded collar, as you cannot make fine adjustments easily!
Old 01-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Pidge do you run a lipo retainer on your 511? Or did you servo tape the lipo to the battery strap?

Look forward to a rude bits tray, the one on my B44 is ace!

www.rccarshop.co.uk
Old 01-02-2010
LeeOtard

i use a retainer right now.
works really well and still retains the flex.
Old 01-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Guys, on the above topics:

1. I'm 99% sure kit castor block is 10 degree. Option aluminium is available in 10 or 12 degree. 12's have it written on, 10's don't. Not sure if Pidge has special bits (in the past the team guys have ran 1 degree rear hubs which have never been released!) but no 14 degree blocks are available as far as I can see?

2. Rear springs. The alternative to cutting springs is to use the associated plastic shock collar as it's much thinner. I use this and just set my front ride height around it. As Pidge says the disadvantage is it's not adjustable, I have instances where I get the rear kicking up due to being too low! Plus blue bling is always better!!
Old 01-02-2010

There are no 14 degree castor blocks, not yet anyway. Lee wrote "they will have" meaning they maybe will be released?

The 0.5 degree rear hubs that Hupo used on his 501X was replaced with a new rear suspension mount on the 511.
The 511 rear susp. mount gives more toe-in than the 501X rear susp. mount. 511 has 3.3 degrees I believe.
Old 01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94eg! View Post
511 kit plastic block is the DB01 carbon upgrade part 54034. This is a 10* block. If the 511 has more than 10* of caster stock, it's due to kickup in the front arm mounts, but I see your point...
really? I think it's 12*,for all the people who don't believe me then see the attached photo, it's very noticeable if you have a good look at the bottom lug where the king pin go's in.....and Mr Tamiya Amish you should know this!!!! 501x is on the left and yes the pin through the hub carriers is a neat fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010021.jpg (19.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
really? I think it's 12*,for all the people who don't believe me then see the attached photo, it's very noticeable if you have a good look at the bottom lug where the king pin go's in.....and Mr Tamiya Amish you should know this!!!! 501x is on the left and yes the pin through the hub carriers is a neat fit.
Hmm good spot, I knew the design had changed but thought they had simply changed the top camber link and "sleeved" the driveshaft, not adjusted the castor!!