Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 24-12-2009

Default Fabcount????

I am trying to get int touch with Fabcount about using there software at our club does anyone know if they are still in business or if we can still get in touch. We run RC Timing at the momment no proplem with the software we would just like the facility of the lapping car mode as we think it will grealy benefit our club. Also if there are any clubs out there who use the system if they could give me feed back on the software that would be great, if anyone knows of other software with the lapping mode on it that would be helpful.
Thanks Darran (Leverton Raceway)
Old 11-02-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Maritime Raceway used it at Petit RC and it was very good. Fab Count have a website as I was looking at it as I like the lapping feature etc.

I'd be interested to know what clubs are running what.

I.e.
bbk
Fab Count
RC timing

etc.
Old 11-02-2010
Mad Member

FORCC were promised a demo of Fabcount to trial over a year ago, but the demo disc never materialised despite numerous promises.

Within the last couple of weeks I've emailed again but received no reply. Shame as it seems a good product.
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog View Post
FORCC were promised a demo of Fabcount to trial over a year ago, but the demo disc never materialised despite numerous promises.

Within the last couple of weeks I've emailed again but received no reply. Shame as it seems a good product.
A demo is key to gauging what is suitable for the club. I'll be reviewing all the above later this year and if they can't provide a demo they drop down the list.

I always keep an eye on these products to guage which is best for our needs - if any of them..
Old 11-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

We use lapsfree quite happily, yes there's some things that aren't perfect but you can't argue with the price!
This is using AMB decoder with PTs.
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetbee View Post
We use lapsfree quite happily, yes there's some things that aren't perfect but you can't argue with the price!
This is using AMB decoder with PTs.
I knew I was forgetting one. I'll add that to the must re-test list.

Also what operating systems are people using with their timing software

Windows XP, Vista, 7 or other?

M
Old 11-02-2010

Cotwolds model car club run a system that relays drivers name and current lap time, its great for practice/testing

Not sure what system it is though, all the amb transponders work on it

Matt

Clubs
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyscott View Post
I knew I was forgetting one. I'll add that to the must re-test list.

Also what operating systems are people using with their timing software

Windows XP, Vista, 7 or other?

M
whatever is the most stable OS you can find.. to be honest you don't need a powerful PC to run a timing system & it uses very little in the way of system resources & HDD space, i've installed timing systems onto 10 year old Cyrix systems, Pentium 2's & Pentium 3's with low sized (just a few gig) hard-drives & even running Windows 98 & with multiple graphics cards.. i'm talking about the running of the latest (or just a couple of years old) versions of laps Free or demo versions of RC-timing, so do you really need to use Vista (which is about as much use as Windows ME) or Windows 7 which is still not going to be 100% until the service packs come along & Windows XP is OK but has all that "genuine advantage" & "Activation" rubbish to get past if you do a fresh installation.

if it was me though i'd say Windows 2000 is the best OS to use because it's probably the most stable operating system & has to be the best package Microsoft ever developed. Also why go to the expence of buying an expensive PC or laptop that is capable of running Vista?? Go & have a rummage in the attic to see what discarded PC stuff could be revived or a hunt down the computer fair & see what's suitable for about £40 - i've picked up old but still functional P3 towers at computer fairs for about £10, all you need then is the basic keyboard/mouse/monitor & any cables.

Realisitcally all you need on the system would be an operating system & what you need to run the timing - you won't need stuff like Office or Photoshop, just the timing system installed & some basic tools such as defrag tools & of course the printer drivers or drivers for additional screens or scoreboards if you use them as well as perhaps a facility for uploading/exporting HTML if publishing results online but most timing software these days already have functions to export results as HTML files, so just whack in a floppy-disk or USB drive to save them onto that & upload at home on your home PC if publishing to the web.
Old 11-02-2010

Similar to what I have thought, I've just removed Windows Vista from the laptop and put XP on it. It's a fairly modern laptop so won't have driver support for Windows 2000.

I haven't had any problems with any of Windows - 2000 >>> 7 but it all depends what applications you use (tell a lie I had a problem with VMWare Vsphere client on Windows 7..)

Personally I think Windows XP so far.
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Similar to what I have thought, I've just removed Windows Vista from the laptop and put XP on it. It's a fairly modern laptop so won't have driver support for Windows 2000.
you shouldn't have a problem.. XP is actually built on the back of Windows 2000 (which is basically Windows NT version 5) & when you get down to the nitty-gritty XP is just an expanded version of Windows 2000, so 99% of XP drivers will work on Windows 2000 provided the developers of the drivers haven't locked out 2000 by preventing the drivers from installing on any other OS other than XP.
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Wolfie View Post
you shouldn't have a problem.. XP is actually built on the back of Windows 2000 (which is basically Windows NT version 5) & when you get down to the nitty-gritty XP is just an expanded version of Windows 2000, so 99% of XP drivers will work on Windows 2000 provided the developers of the drivers haven't locked out 2000 by preventing the drivers from installing on any other OS other than XP.
Indeed good ole Windows NT...

Not too bothered about Windows 2000 and haven't see it for a long time. It's not supported on our networks at work thankfully (one less o/s)

Everything from XP downwards I think needs to be end of life.
Old 11-02-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
(tell a lie I had a problem with VMWare Vsphere client on Windows 7..)
If you have access to a vSphere 4 Update 1 system, the client "packaged" with that works without modification on Win7 x86 and x64.
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by /tobys View Post
If you have access to a vSphere 4 Update 1 system, the client "packaged" with that works without modification on Win7 x86 and x64.
Yup patched them earlier in the week and up and running with it, all be it being slow.

Just got the ESX 3.5 cluster to do once the storage team sort out the zoning on the fibre switches. I've provided all the WWNs etc but nothing yet
Old 11-02-2010

Quote:
Indeed good ole Windows NT...

Not too bothered about Windows 2000 and haven't see it for a long time. It's not supported on our networks at work thankfully (one less o/s)

Everything from XP downwards I think needs to be end of life.
I agree, but the point raised was the question what OS is best to run an RC timing system. As it's a fairly simple system a simple OS should be all that is needed provided it is stable, which is the most important factor in the equation.. halfway through a crucial final or mid-way through qualifiying you don't want the computer to crash & lose all the data simply because the OS is too complex & taking big lumps out of the system resources.

If that means taking a step backwards to give the best solution for the sake of simplicity & reliability then so be it. Does an RC timing system really need all the guff that comes with the more modern OS such as Vista & Windows 7. Maybe perhaps when future RC timing applications become dependent on touch-screen tecnology & other stuff included in Windows 7 / Vista then it is going to be neccesary to run on a system that has that technology, but until then is there really any point?
Old 11-02-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Personally I think Windows XP so far.
Defo, that's what we use