Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 09-03-2010

Default Lrp motor cooling fan question on dex410

Hi,
I was wondering if the fan sticking out a about 3mm would affect the car at all? Has anyone tried this before? I am tired of the car over heating.

Old 09-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

.........there must be somthing wrong somewere to need a heat sink and a fan on the motor,there is no way unless you cut a big hole in the shell that the shell will fit over the fanand i dont think it will last 5 mins in a race without some one hitting it,if you go out door it will be a nightmare coz the chassis will get so much crap in it because of the bit missingas will the fan,i know iv not been much help,does the car run free across the ground if you push it slightly if you disconect the pinion,if yes is it meshed to tight,

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 09-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

looking at you pic,just also make sure,as you have the powercap right next to the spur that its not damaged in any way or a wire has been snagged,

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 09-03-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex410usa View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if the fan sticking out a about 3mm would affect the car at all? Has anyone tried this before? I am tired of the car over heating.
What turn LRP X12 have you got in there? I have had LRP motors in the past and they do tend to run hotter than other makes. What gearing are you running? I tend to run a 6.5 outdoors with a 22 and indoors I run a 7.5 on a 23/24 depending on size of the track and temps are fine.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 09-03-2010
Mad Member

what have you done!

Thats some pretty major surgery to the chassis. My car has been running no where near the thermal limit but I have only run indoors so far.

Where abouts in the states are you? If you are having to cope with much higher air temperatures then I can see why this might be necessary.

Have you modified the bodyshell yet?
Old 09-03-2010
Super Moderator

I think the way the heatshrink comes so far forward on the front prop driveshaft could be causing that one to bind up, there is no need to have so much on there......

If you've done the same to the rear, that will bind also.

G
Old 09-03-2010
Mad Member

Make sure that the output drive to the centre is not on too tight as this will constrict the bearings in the gearbox cases. You can usually tell if this is happening as the output part of the shaft coming out of the gearbox case can become hot after a race. Also make sure that the cvd's are greased up as I found that made a big difference especially on the centre shafts. The other main area of friction I have found is with the crunch spacers getting crunched or wearing down. Use the centre of a 5x10x4 bearing for the rear and HB61490 steel spacers in the front which allows you to tighten the wheels up properly without the car binding and also allows the front bearings not to get ruined.
Schumacher KC, KD, CAT XLS, CAT L1 | Team C TM2 V2, TM4, TC02 | JQ The Car | Mugen MBX6 | Losi 8T,8BE 1.5 | Durango DEX-410V4 | FTX Blaze | XRAY M18T | Kyosho STR,Surf Dude,Nexus 30 | Nimrif Makara | MFA Spear | She Devil | T-Rex 450SEV2,250SE | Ark X-400 | Protech Butterfly,Zoom 400 | Ikarus Piccolo | VW T4 | Smart 450 | KC-250 | BoltRC Kraken 5" | Emax Nighthawk 250 | Gravity 250 | S550 | Prusa i3 | TronXY X5A | Must stop collecting stuff!
Old 09-03-2010

Are you sure that your drivetrain spins free? The center shaft shows some wear, see photo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00015-20100308-1134.jpg (57.3 KB, 104 views)
Old 09-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiSMB View Post
What turn LRP X12 have you got in there?
and which timing insert??
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 10-03-2010

Thank you for all the responses guys and girls. I have an LRP 8.5 stock insert. I did not grease any of the cvd's. The middle shaft had some wear because of a wire touching but i fixed that. i will check the gear box if its too tight. My car seems to have too much drag so i am assuming there is something wrong but car drives great. I had a spare side skid late that was bent so i used it to test before actually doing anything to the car and that is why i posted here.

Thank you
Old 10-03-2010

I am running 8.5 with 20 pinion (i was running 21 but was getting too hot) with 21 pinion i was getting around 160 f temps and thats only running 5 minutes moderate)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiSMB View Post
What turn LRP X12 have you got in there? I have had LRP motors in the past and they do tend to run hotter than other makes. What gearing are you running? I tend to run a 6.5 outdoors with a 22 and indoors I run a 7.5 on a 23/24 depending on size of the track and temps are fine.
Old 10-03-2010

Noticed that as well that the X12 runs hotter than other brands. Did not have any issues at all with heat when running Ballistic in my DEX410. Better traction control with it also. Smother.
Old 10-03-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex410usa View Post
I am running 8.5 with 20 pinion (i was running 21 but was getting too hot) with 21 pinion i was getting around 160 f temps and thats only running 5 minutes moderate)
I've run 24 or a 25 with a 7.5 SP motor.

G
Old 10-03-2010

22 with a 6.5 X12 Octa Wind Motor
ZX5 FS2 SP
RB6

www.mikovic.com Team
GRIFF TOUCH 4 EVER
Old 10-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

what tires are you all running though, I'm guessing the guy from America will be running a Proline or a 'dirt' tire and you guys are using the schumacher type tires.

that will change the relative gearings
Old 10-03-2010

I have noticed that when I used "virtual" drag through my ESC settings the motor temperature went up dramatically. After changing ESC settings with drag to 0, the motor is approx. 20 centigrades cooler now.
Old 10-03-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughtyUK.net View Post
what tires are you all running though, I'm guessing the guy from America will be running a Proline or a 'dirt' tire and you guys are using the schumacher type tires.

that will change the relative gearings
I am using Pro-line Holeshot and Holeshot 2's and Pro-line Suburbs so as close as you can get to the USA setup as I run at PDA.
Old 10-03-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

yes, of course, if you are running at PDA then you will be using similar tires as the guy with the original question.

and yes, drag brake will certainly generate more heat in the speedo and motor than running 0
Old 10-03-2010

I would suggest that cutting the side out of the chassis as you have will seriously weaken the car. Being ally, it won't snap in a hurry, but keep an eye on it in case it bends and goes out of alingment.
Old 10-03-2010

I will try to explain it from an architectural point of view. Please excuse my poor technical English, I hope the content will be understandable anyway...

The cut-out is unfortunately located in a quite weak spot. If you look at the chassis and its static behaviour it can be compared to a truss which is mounted on columns at both ends. If a load is applied the truss wants to bend which generates the highest momentum just in the middle of the truss. Here the truss would need the biggest constructive height for maximum stiffness. Unfortunaltely this is close to the point where a) the motor is located on the chassis, which adds extra load and b) your chassis is cut out, which reduces constructive height dramatically.

Maybe your chassis is still strong enough, time will tell...