Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > I Made This !

Old 02-05-2010

Default Ideas for my Academy SB Pro

Hey guys, i've got the itch to do something cool with my car, but im not quite sure what.

I've got all the necessary experience/materials to do some pretty crazy stuff (composites molding , machining, etc).

How about a front motor rear wheel steering car?

Remember the SB is not a mid motor car, nor do I really want it to be. I only have stick packs.

Jon
Old 02-05-2010

thats there 4wd car? just to be unique, convert it to belt drive instead of shaft drivin, or make it mid motor with a long wheel base to fit a stick pack
Old 02-05-2010

Here's the car/layout:

I was hoping to use pretty much all of the components on it now. A longer wheelbase would suck with this car, it needs more steering anyway (I'm working on that).

I'm kinda thinking about giving it a predator layout with saddlepacks up front... I definitely want to make it more narrow and low profile, possibly even use a steering setup from a B44 (If somebody can take measurements please let me know!!!!)

Jon
Old 04-05-2010

http://rc10b4.com/forum/showthread.p...hlight=academy

Page 303 has all of the mods for the buggy.

The stuff that should be done is the following.

ceramic diffs, b4 diff screws, the updated wheel hexes w/ threadlock because they are easy to get(the stock axles break), rough up the motor mount so it doesn't slip, dremel out the chasis so the arms can travel their full range, set of shocks you know well (Kyosho or Losi would be my go to), front one way, 68P spur gear. When this buggy was built up it was better then the V2. It is an absolute tank and drives great. This platform is very similar to the ZX5 so a base setup can be very similar. Only thing is that it a way tougher.

heres pictures of the good after market chasis as well.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-4wheeler.html

This buggy was a pain to build up, but it is 2nd to none once built up.
Old 04-05-2010

Way ahead of ya there!

Already modded the slipper assembly to fit B4 spurs, i'm using AE diff screws and nuts, B4 shocks, the motor mount is roughened up and tapped deeper to accept a longer screw, and I came up with the droop mod a few years ago! Well, i wasn't the first, but i hadn't seen it before I did the mod.

I did find that AE Nitro TC3 diffs fit pretty well with just a little dremeling on the diff cases. I haven't gone to ceramic balls/plates yet but it's definitely needed. I'm not running the AE diffs, I put them in my friends car.

I also drilled new holes in the steering knuckles to get the full range of movement. You can see the dimples already in the knuckles for the holes! The only thing missing now is to get a suspension arm that doesn't move the CVD so far forward, it binds at full lock (Which is as much angle as a 2wd btw, tons). The shorter wheelbase could help too. Do you know if the V2 arms fit? Im pretty sure the knuckles are the same.

Do you know what diff plates fit? And are the balls 3/32" or 3mm? 2.5mm? I don't have a set of calipers yet... I've never driven a car with a front one-way. I heard they increase steering, but you also only get rear wheel braking. I think the new set of steering knuckle holes and a shorter wheelbase with the new arms will make the car not need a one way, but i wouldn't know.

My bearings (that came with the car, they're almost 4 years old now) seem to have a lot of play in them. Has anybody else noticed this? They're very noisy.

I'm running AE #2 pistons back, silver springs, 35w oil, outer hole on arms and tower. AE #2 pistons front, green springs, 40w oil, middle hole tower and arm, and a half inch down travel limiter made from fuel tubing. This gets the arms to droop properly and the springs don't need too many spacers.

I still want a new chassis! I know, it's never good enough...

Jon
Old 04-05-2010

A US hobby shop had a V2 motor mount on major clearance... $6.49 (regularly $34)

I may try that just to see how it goes.
Old 05-05-2010

And Im looking for another body... MRC charges a ton, and im looking for a little different style... Anybody know what other bodies fit? I may go for the original lazer zx5 body. Always one of the purdiest in my eyes.

(read as: Who wants to take measurements of their shells?)

Jon
Old 10-05-2010

Lights!

For night racing, dog chasing, general fun. They run off an extra Rx port.

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG5505.jpg (10.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG5508.jpg (12.0 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-06-2010

I tried SBv2 arms!!

They completely change the feel of the car. Its much more planted, does not have the tendancy to roll on it's top on high grip surfaces, and lost it's loose rear end on low traction surfaces; all while increasing steering throw and stiffness (reducing slop). Try them, they work great.

The only problem is that the front bones aren't long enough. I need to get something about 4mm longer to have the pins in their original location. Any suggestions?

Jon