Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 22-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Default SPEKTRUM DX3R pro's and con's

I've read the review on here and seriously thinking of getting one. But i would like to here from the people out there in oOple land who have been using one for a while. What do you think ?
Old 22-12-2010

I've had mine since they first came out and I can't fault it.
The styling is a marmite thing for many but personally I don't have a problem with it.

It is very light to hold which can take a bit to get used to but the user interface and menu programming is very easy to get on with.

Can't knock it.
Old 22-12-2010

Pro's:
Lightweight
Small
Comfortable
More than enough model memory
Only uses 4 AA's
Last a while -Battery Wise

Con's:
Feels a tad cheap
Some don't like it think it will break
Scroll wheel can break-If pushed too hard or abused..
No LED backlight

I have been running mine for best part of a year and a half, and love it. I love how light it is specially for long mains-Nitro. Fits my hands perfect and love the ease of use. I have not had 1 issue so far (Touch Wood) or loosing bind or glitching. I don't see myself changing anytime too tbh.. great tx
Old 22-12-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I've had mine for circa 5 months and like it, came from a KO Helios with Spektrum

What RXs are people using? Had glitch issues with a Tekin, but nothing else. But that's on a DSM micro RX
Old 22-12-2010
Mad Member

I wrote the review...

I love it and even though in over 18 years of racing i've always been a futaba guy through and through, I'd never swap it for a 4PK.

Haven't had the slightest issue with it in a year and a half, the battery consumption is ultra low: changed the batteries 4 times since i've had it, last time 2 weeks ago, so about 6 months on a set of duracells, that's awesome.

Yes the plastic feels cheap, but it actually isn't and I suspect it's because of the colour and not the material itself.
Old 22-12-2010

Planning on getting the case before Petit to protect it further.

Also will prob change all my RXs to DSM2, however just a question of whether Spektrum Module equipment can still bind to DSM2
Old 22-12-2010

this happened to the DX3S I have

just don't press to hard and use the left hand side of the roller as this has the thicker pin

got it replaced though FOC via importer out of warranty

CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 22-12-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Thanks for all the feedback boy's, FAB's yeh like you a futaba guy. Just sold a 3PK'S with 2.4. Fancied a change and wanted micro recievers etc for my durango and a Losi 22 when it comes out. Will order one today
Old 22-12-2010

Is it worth spending £100 more to get the DX3R over the DX3S?

In progress: Team Durango DEX410 V1-V4 hybrid ~ DESC410V2 ~ DEX210
Old 22-12-2010
Mad Member

I switched from a 3pk to a DX3R earlier this year. The 3PK was fine I just fancied something different.

I love the DX3R its very intuitive to use and the batteries last for ages, I got around 16 hours use on my 1st set of 4 AA's.

I admit it does feel a bit cheap to hold but its a great radio.
Old 22-12-2010

Another positive review here! I really like mine; it's very comfortable, really lightweight and the batteries last forever.

I haven't had any problems with it and it seems much faster than my old KO 2.4Ghz radio.
Old 02-02-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Spektrum have released there own drop down for the radio.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM9021
Old 26-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Is it worth spending £100 more to get the DX3R over the DX3S?
Thats the question I'm still asking, esp as 3S seems to have a second receiver. Also, my servos are both dead old plastic geared non digital, so i'm guessing I'd be better off getting the 3S and a new servo than then 3R
Old 29-04-2011

I'd recommend the 3r tho ted, never used a 3s, so can't comment on that one, but went for the 3r as thought to myself that i'd otherwise just end up wanting it in the future.

I like you was running pretty cheapy plastic geared analogue servos, however on purchasing the 3r realised would need a better one, got a ko propo one for £30 and the difference is amazing If I had more cash would upgrade my other servo too.

The 3r is fantasticly easy to programme, responsiveness and adjustability is amazing, the model memory is excellent too. All round excellent piece of kit.

Price wise the going rate for a 2nd hand 3r is around the £160 mark, which is about the same cost as a new 3s, so if you look at it that way you'll be spending the same amount of money.

The one I got off the bay came with all packaging, manuals and the bits that came with it. The gear itself was immaculate, protective plastic still on the tranny and not a mark on it

I (as you've probably guessed) do not regret buying a 2nd hand 3r over a brand new 3s.

Cheers
matt
Old 03-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattJT View Post
I'd recommend the 3r tho ted, never used a 3s, so can't comment on that one, but went for the 3r as thought to myself that i'd otherwise just end up wanting it in the future.

I like you was running pretty cheapy plastic geared analogue servos, however on purchasing the 3r realised would need a better one, got a ko propo one for £30 and the difference is amazing If I had more cash would upgrade my other servo too.

The 3r is fantasticly easy to programme, responsiveness and adjustability is amazing, the model memory is excellent too. All round excellent piece of kit.

Price wise the going rate for a 2nd hand 3r is around the £160 mark, which is about the same cost as a new 3s, so if you look at it that way you'll be spending the same amount of money.

The one I got off the bay came with all packaging, manuals and the bits that came with it. The gear itself was immaculate, protective plastic still on the tranny and not a mark on it

I (as you've probably guessed) do not regret buying a 2nd hand 3r over a brand new 3s.

Cheers
matt
Thanks for the info, I think the 3R may be way to go as I doubt technology will move on much beyond dsm2 in near future so hopefully it will last me a while! Buy once, buy wisely..

eta Rossmods seem to have them at a discount and the Savox 1258s seem to be a popular and reasonable choice to go with it...

Last edited by Ted Maul; 03-05-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: looking for cost differences
Old 03-05-2011

[QUOTE=Ted Maul;497348]Buy once, buy wisely..QUOTE]

in a nutshell, my thoughts too