Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

Old 27-03-2011
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1967 View Post
Trouble is when i was not in the chair i have seen a couple of racers, but just because there is a minority does it mean that something should not be done?
Agree whole heartedly buddy.
(Bearing in mind we don't even use a rostrum) Assuming you (or others) could guarantee to race week in, week out, I see no reason why any decent, profitable(if there is such a thing?) club shouldn't be able to come up with a workable solution.
The problem is simply that with our combined 45 years racing experience we've seen 4 disabled racers.
Old 28-03-2011

it is a vicious circle though. 11 years ago when I first met Sam, if he wanted to travel anywhere, he had to go by train and taxi, which isn't the cheapest option, especially when at the time, he was going from Euston Station Earls Court and Hammersmith on a regular basis. I said to him not to be daft, and I'd take him on the tube, but even that meant walking from Euston to Russel Square, then having him get out of his chair so he could "bump" down the dozen or so stairs (he wasn't as big then as he his now ).

Now though, with the changes in the law that have happened, all new public transport vehicles built in this coutry or for this country have to be wheelchair friendly, and we often bump into other wheelchair users on the bus (it's also highly amusing to see all these old biddies have to get up and move down the bus when we get on, not that I want to see old people struggle, but how many of us gave up seats for older people when we we're younger for them to get some kind of attitude about it and not do the same when someone else needs that space more than them).

To quote from Wayne World 2 "If you build it, they will come". Sometimes that might mean having wheelchair access that is never used, but at least those people who are wheelchair users, won't fall at the first stumbling block (pardon any perceived punn there).
Old 28-03-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sldmodels View Post
To quote from Wayne World 2 "If you build it, they will come". Sometimes that might mean having wheelchair access that is never used.
So if you build it, they probably won't come?
Old 28-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
No, it means that you might build it, and it might never be used, but at least it COULD be used. Just because modern buses have space for wheelchairs, it doesn't mean there's always a wheelchair user on the bus, but in those same spaces, there are fold down seats (except for London, but they have more and bigger buses anyway).

If there's no ramp there, it can never be used by someone in a wheelchair. Remember that it can always be used as a "selling point" for the club involved too, when numbers nearly everywhere are on the slide.
Old 28-03-2011

The builders are starting in the next week(hopefully) at Moto Arena to extend the mezzanine to the drivers stand, this means that with the disabled lift we already have installed, there will be wheelchair access to the drivers stand in about 3 weeks time. sorry it took so long.
Old 28-03-2011

I don't think there's need to apologise, better to take your time and get it right, than rush and mess it up
Old 28-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col View Post
May i ask, can you walk up a ramp? think the answer is yes, can i get up stairs now? nope so why not make it universal for everyone
Old 28-03-2011

I'm the person mentioned earlier in this thread seen racing from a wheelchair at moto arena.

I've recently returned to model car racing after a break of 20 years having now introduced the first of my kids to it.

My local club at Milton Keynes normally race in a fairly small hall and don't have a rostrum, drivers usually stand on plastic chairs. I have an electric chair that raises me up to normal standing height which means I can race without any significant disadvantage. The members of the club have been incredibly welcoming and i'm pretty sure the committee would do all they could to help me where they can.

Moto arena are a perfect example of poor advice and lack of thought in the planning.

The venue went to significant effort and expense when setting up the venue to provide disabled access, disabled toilets and even a proper commercial lift up to the mezzanine that houses the simulators and the like.

What they didn't do is provide disabled access to the rostrum for either the indoor or outdoor track !

I have raced from the mezzanine, but as this is beyond one end of the track rather than at the side it nearly impossible to see the track clearly at the far end.

A little thought in the design would have allowed access to the rostrum with little or no additional expense.

I'm really pleased to see on here the plan to address the issue, but it's not the first time i've heard it.
Old 28-03-2011
Awesome Admin

Quote:
May i ask, can you walk up a ramp? think the answer is yes, can i get up stairs now? nope so why not make it universal for everyone
We have neither stairs or ramps. TBH I struggle a little with both as I've got bad knee's.
I have to apologise as I'm sounding extremely negative towards disabled people and not even a little bit welcoming, but the simple fact is not many clubs have the cash to spend on a ramp/raised platform.
Old 28-03-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAl View Post

I'm really pleased to see on here the plan to address the issue, but it's not the first time i've heard it.

i think i told you a while back it was in the plan, its being started this week
Old 28-03-2011

That's fantastic, thanks Matt.

It's not my intention to be critical of moto arena on this as they made huge effort in making the venue both accessible and welcoming for someone in a wheelchair. They just didn't think it through in the initial design phase.

It's much easier and cheaper to design in access from the beginning than trying to sort it out afterwards.

Hopefully this thread may bring the issue to a slightly wider audience and make it something people consider when designing new tracks and rostrums.

If I can ever assist anyone who is considering how to improve accessibility i'd be only too pleased to help.
Old 11-04-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Neil,

Our new rostrum is due to be installed on Thursday morning

You'll be pleased to hear that we have a RAMP on one side that sounds like it will be suitable for you. The rostrum is 1.5m wide so you should have lots of room to wheel about Dont sell up just yet!!!.

The ramp will be about 4m long and rise up to the 1.5m height of the platform. You might need a shove to get up (you can make your own way down) be we can all lend a hand.

Hope so see you soon to test it out!

HTH, Neil

Quote:
Hi all,

Just a question i am 43 years old and have been racing since the age of 18, but for the last 4 years i have been in a wheelchair and you guessed it still want to race, but the trouble i have is no clubs have any kind of access to the rostrum at all for anyone in a wheelchair.

Now i understand this but feel that really more could be done for people in wheelchairs Lewis Hamiltion the F1 racer his brother races in nitro 1/18th and he is disabled but again he struggles onto the rostrum you would have thought that we would have some kind of help. I have approached lots of clubs by e-mail one mailed me back the others well they just ignored me i am not going to name any clubs but if they read this they would know.

I am not asking for a miracle or you would have thought i am, all i am asking for is a little understanding and maybe some access to allow me to carry on with the sport i love so much.
Old 11-04-2011

Hi Dudders,
As a wheelchair user myself it's nice to see a club look at this issue from the off, would it be possible for you to put some pic's and info up about your ramp as this may help other clubs consider installing one at some stage.
I'll be racing at all the rounds of the uk shortcourse nationals this year but will have to climb steps at all the venues. not a major issue but will tire me out a lot quicker.
Old 11-04-2011
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz5311 View Post
Hi Dudders,
As a wheelchair user myself it's nice to see a club look at this issue from the off, would it be possible for you to put some pic's and info up about your ramp as this may help other clubs consider installing one at some stage.
I'll be racing at all the rounds of the uk shortcourse nationals this year but will have to climb steps at all the venues. not a major issue but will tire me out a lot quicker.
Will do, any excuse to get out of marshalling eh?
Old 02-05-2011

Well, despite the promises made earlier in this thread by moto arena I was hugely dissapointed when I visited yesterday to find that the promised disabled access to the drivers rostrum has still not materialised.
Old 28-06-2011

Following my most recent visit to Moto Arena on Sunday i'm happy to report that they have lived up to the promises and can now boast a fantastic, fully accessible venue.

If anyone is looking for an RC circuit that enables a wheelchair user to compete at no disadvantage to anyone else then moto arena is that place.
  • Level access into and throughout the interior of the building;
  • A commercial lift up to the second floor mezzanine that connects through to the drivers rostrum;
  • Fully accessible disabled toilets
There really is now nothing else I could possibly hope for. Thanks to the people behind MA for the work they have undertaken, and Matt in particular to pushing on my behalf.

My only problem now is that I have no excuse for crashing!