Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Durango

Old 19-05-2011

I have an original DEX410 that did not have the dragging slipper problem, but I bought a DEX410R for my oldest Son that did have the problem. To remedy this, I carefully removed a small amount of material from the bottom of the slipper cover/clamp, where it contacts the rear bearing. I did not need to remove material where it contacts the front bearing, only the rear.

The wobble you're experiencing could be a poorly machined front slipper plate, or the rear slipper outdrive. You can check it by removing the rear slipper outdrive (the part you circled in the image), and then place the slipper in the mount with the cover/clamp installed. Spin it while looking for wobble. If there is no wobble, the rear slipper outdrive could be bad. Contact TD. If it wobbles, contact TD for a front slipper plate replacement.

Let's stay on topic, please.
Old 20-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperFX View Post
I have an original DEX410 that did not have the dragging slipper problem, but I bought a DEX410R for my oldest Son that did have the problem. To remedy this, I carefully removed a small amount of material from the bottom of the slipper cover/clamp, where it contacts the rear bearing. I did not need to remove material where it contacts the front bearing, only the rear.

The wobble you're experiencing could be a poorly machined front slipper plate, or the rear slipper outdrive. You can check it by removing the rear slipper outdrive (the part you circled in the image), and then place the slipper in the mount with the cover/clamp installed. Spin it while looking for wobble. If there is no wobble, the rear slipper outdrive could be bad. Contact TD. If it wobbles, contact TD for a front slipper plate replacement.

Let's stay on topic, please.
ok i tried what you said and even when i removed the part i circled in the picure it still wobbled and the spur did too. so im pretty sure its a bad slipper clutch plate.

and i will try shaving some of that plastic down on the slipper cover/clamp but im thinking the problem with the bent slipper clutch plate is related to this problem?

thanks
Old 20-05-2011

Concerning the wobbly slipper assembly. When I install the slipper assembly in the mount and just hold it there and spin with my fingers I can't detect a wobble. It only happens for me when the cover is on. I wonder if it is somehow related to the plastic half of the diff mount. I believe they were both aluminum on the 410 non R???
Old 20-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slash View Post
... and i will try shaving some of that plastic down on the slipper cover/clamp but im thinking the problem with the bent slipper clutch plate is related to this problem?

thanks
That's very possible.
Just be patient with it. The DEX410 is, IMO, the best RC I've owned in 25 yrs of racing them. It's not perfect, nothing is, but it's definitely on the right track! I spent the first couple months after purchase, learning it's quirks, adjusting, testing, and modifying, and now I do a little preventive maint. and just enjoy racing it.
You're gonna love it!
Old 20-05-2011
No trade access

I bought a R second hand (might be the ticket to skip building it !!).

Got lots of play on the ball studs and the spur didn't turn straight. Changed some bearings and put a RW spur and it did the trick.

Just one run, got really hot but what an amazing car, turns like no others and so much torque and grip. I'm sold 100%. Got to learn how to set it up properly as far as slipper, play and others little detail but seems very solid.
Old 20-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC John View Post
I could not disagree with you more. I've built quite a few kits in my 12 years in this hobby. The durango definitely has had more issues than any car I've built.
100% correct. I built many RC cars, but -concerning the relation price: easyness to build, the Durango is the worst car I ever had. Any car could be build without to much dremeling, filing, but here you need it for almost any step. (not to mention, that the wiring is a tough approach due to the design of the body)

I have most of the issues mentioned, additionally one more: I bought a complete diff set, to have a easier way to change set-up. Unfortunately the bearings delivered in this package have a smaller inner diameter than the housings of the diff. OK, filing the plastic may work, but the metal teeth wheel?

Sorry Durango, but the manufacturing quality of your car is bad and not worth the price I payed for it.

If Schumacher would understand, that the way how they mount the front and rear Axle of the CAT SX II (and III) is poor and way to weak, I would go back at to them any second.
Old 20-05-2011

ok well im thinking my problem with the wobbling spur. is the bearings! they are off center i still have to do some more things like try some other bearings but im thinking its the bearings.

EDIT: wait im wrong its a slipper clutch plate after some more testing.
Old 20-05-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to telboy

If the diffs are leaking even before it has been run, it suggests to me that they've been over filled and when the main gear is screwed into place it may have popped the seals?

Easy to do the first time.

I ran std seals on mine and only ever replaced one set in a year and half. And that was just because I stripped it all down and just renewed parts.
Old 20-05-2011

Having just built a Losi 22 shortly after my DEX410R and DESC410R I can say that the Rango is heads-above the Losi on quality. OK so the Rango has it's quirks like the weak servo saver, but once you are on top of the obvious niggles you end up with an extremely robust buggy which drives like a dream.

BTW I only bought the 22 while waiting for the DEX210.
Old 21-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by telboy View Post
If the diffs are leaking even before it has been run, it suggests to me that they've been over filled and when the main gear is screwed into place it may have popped the seals?

Easy to do the first time.

I ran std seals on mine and only ever replaced one set in a year and half. And that was just because I stripped it all down and just renewed parts.
well i ended up finding my diff problem.

non of the diffs where leaking but one of the diff gears that go's on the output shaft was too tight making the other diff seem a lot looser but really the tighter one was just tighter because the gear that was on the output shaft was really jammed in place
Old 30-05-2011

i emailed durango about a week about and the day after i got a reply asking for my number on the side of my box so i sent them that and they just sent off a replacement
Old 01-06-2011

I think, I will check it out, if the direct connect will work, too. I bought a diff (TD210001) and the diff ring gear is too wide, to put the ball bearing onto it. I tried to sand it, but this does not really works. I do not have a machine park at home, so I expect the parts to fit perfectly.
Old 06-06-2011

ok after putting the slipper/spur assembly back together it seems to not want to slide in easily like they show it dose in the manual.

can i just remove one of the washers it has between the bearings and the slipper plate?
Old 06-06-2011

Seems odd, you can shim to suit, but just make sure the bearings are fully up against the slipper pressure plates, and that you haven't accidentally trapped a badly located slipper pad. That may be giving you wider assembly.
Old 06-06-2011

i know i did have to use one of the spare shims that come in the miscellaneous bag but im pretty sure its the same size.
Old 06-06-2011

The different thickness are different materials / colours. Copper colour, 0.1mm, silver coloured 0.2mm thick. So you can decide from that if they were the same. But, as said, if it's too tight, remove a shim, too tight add a shim..
Old 06-06-2011

ok thanks i tried a copper shim on one side and a silver on the other and it works now

once i got it in tho i did notice a tiny bit of wobble but im pretty sure its normal. but just to be sure could someone look at this video i made. you can hardily see the wobble but you can see it more near the end of he video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ1wnuEPrjQ
Old 06-06-2011

Hard to tell quite what you can see there, video is a little out of focus, actually, a lot. Try again, a little further away.
Old 07-06-2011

ok sorry i did not realize it was that out of focus because i only viewed the the video on the camera so i will remake it
Old 07-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slash View Post
ok thanks i tried a copper shim on one side and a silver on the other and it works now

once i got it in tho i did notice a tiny bit of wobble but im pretty sure its normal. but just to be sure could someone look at this video i made. you can hardily see the wobble but you can see it more near the end of he video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ1wnuEPrjQ

Hi mate, I had the same issue and my local distributor replaced the center axle with no cost.