Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 16-08-2011

Talking Mad rat rally conversion

Hello, I'm making new project right now... It's mod of Ansmann's chassis - there is question - what do you think this will be be? There's little help ;-)

If you answer right, here will be some more info and photos in better quality.
If you won't answer, here will be better photo of (maybe) finished project on Sunday
Old 16-08-2011

Default ..

I gues a thats an ansmann 2wd modded to an 2wd rally car , am i right?
Old 16-08-2011

yes, you're right It's special for scale stage rally (link for video) As you can see, I need realy big steering angle, ovesteery car and big ride height - I had modded TB-03, it was great, but for my driving style is better RWD - first attempt was TB-03 without front diff, after this first spec made from TL-01 and TB-03 parts - it was ugly but worked good. But not good enough. (By the way, you can see this car on vid - blue Mustang with black front wheels)

After that, I decided to buy RWD buggy and make rally conversion. Ansmann was best for his price and some other things, like seperate front plate, 12mm hexs.

For now, it has TB-03 suspension parts and bumper and new front plate, for shorter wheelbase. And of course, it has ball bearings. But it'snot finished yet.

Tomorrow, I'll have some parts to finish first version - new servo holders from Tamiya F103 (there isn't enough place for stock steering), susp. arms from TB-02 (they're compatible with original MR rear hubs), C-hubs from TL-01LA and TB-02 front steering hub. For 1st version, I made front plate from 1,5mm cuprextit, later, I will made it from aluminium with kickup

ok, here're some photos

Original buggy right after assembly

new rear arms...

... and new front axle on original arm holder

There is last photo with new front plate.. Here's still lot of work

For now it's all. There are some other photos (LINK) I hope, you will like this

P.S. - sorry for bad english
Old 16-08-2011

Interesting project

I would have probably used the ARE-2/Master Blaster chassis as a base for a rally car, extend the shock mounts etc.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses

J

ANVIL-GFX
Old 16-08-2011

I think ARE 2 has too much weight on front axle...same as old TB-03 without front diff.

If you meant for 4WD, when I bought TB-03 (2 yrs ago), I didn't know there is any ARE-2 (maybe in that time Ansmann didn't make it)

BTW, most used car for scale rally are Xrays T1-T3
Old 17-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylon View Post
Interesting project

I would have probably used the ARE-2/Master Blaster chassis as a base for a rally car, extend the shock mounts etc.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses

J
I've rallied an ARE-1 & one problem is crud is getting jammed in the servo saver & under the steering linkage every 5 minutes. the ARE-2 seems to have a similar arrangement. It really doesn't make a good rally car, unless there is some way of making an overtray for the chassis to stop the crud getting into the working parts.
Old 18-08-2011

Little progress
I made new axles, using Tamiya TB-02 arms and knucles and TL-01LA C-hub on front and TB-02 arms with MR's hubs on rear. I had to make a lot of cuts, but car now has 190mm width with ARP rally tyres (before it had circa 170mm), 25mm ride height on front and about 40mm on rear (but it's too much) . Now I have to buy new swing shafts, I have only Tamiya 44mm and they're too short.

And I made new steering, it's simple, but works great. Tomorrow, I'll make new upper plate and test it on dirt

Some photos:
servo holders from F103, steering arm from TL-01. It has good steering angle

Front axle:
I had to make new 22mm shaft in TB-03 style (fixed with grub screw), becaus E-clips collide with wheel

And rear axle:

And here's photo of whole car

Old 21-08-2011

... and it's done Now I have to make some new parts with better quality...

(this is training body...)

Old 09-09-2011

Last weekend, RRR-1 (Rear-engined RWD Rally - prototype 1) had succesfull racing premiere - 11th place in main category (from 32 drivers), 2nd in 2WD I think it's best way for 2WD rallying

(photos from rcklubcista.cz)

And here're videos from last race from Rally Napoli in Benatky in eastern Bohemia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM0o_yoWJ5A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvGgPbmdMZ4
Old 19-12-2011

Some lightweight job...
With worse 2WD grip, I need very small weight for good acceleration... So I decided to lightweigt some part - first part is gearbox.
For rally, I don't need extra strong parts as buggys or TC's, because in rally is stronger motor, than say 17,5T brushless, unusable.. So I decided to change heavy iron parts with plastic or aluminium.

First, I made new diff - my friend has modified TB-02 plastic diffjoints to fit in MR - about 20g down.
Second, I changed slipper with counter and spur gear - new, alu shaft, all-plastic spur from Tamiya DF-02 and as counter I used Robitronic 48dp pinion - another 20g down.
Last change so far is idler shaft, also made from aluminium. Whole gearbox now weights only 80g, i saved 35% of its weight... Now I'm planning some other, lighter parts.. First of all, low-capacity lipol, which weights only 150g. I want to have less, than 1000g without body It's not impossible, I have seen modified xray with only 990grams