Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 31-10-2011

Default Darren Bloomfield carpet setup

Darren's setup was posted on Neobuggy and it contained an interesting mod that I would like to try. He was running an extra long front camber link with outside ballstud on top of modified spindle that was cut to lower the ballstud

Does anyone have or know of pics of this setup and know what the longer link will do for handling?
Old 31-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_Zahn View Post
Darren's setup was posted on Neobuggy and it contained an interesting mod that I would like to try. He was running an extra long front camber link with outside ballstud on top of modified spindle that was cut to lower the ballstud

Does anyone have or know of pics of this setup and know what the longer link will do for handling?
I saw that Bob, and did find it interesting - but my only concern would be that this modification was something that was done 20+ years ago with the original RC10 goldtubs/JRX2, a couple of companies even made special kits including pivots and caster blocks (I even had some on one of my cars), and yet as quickly as it came into vogue it became passe'. So if it was that good of a modification it seems it would be the norm today instead of a forgotten concept.

My other concern is that with longer caster links, especially on the front of a buggy, you increase your potential for damage via breaking or bending a link. I suppose it's really just one of those "personal preference" (set-up related) things, and what works for one person doesn't work for everyone.
Old 31-10-2011

I don't have pics because I've not yet done this myself but I do know that Darren and Si Reeves amongst others have been using this link to good effect.

You have to shave 3mm from the top surface of the steering knuckle and ream the hole out in the steering knuckle to allow a long threaded ball joint to pass through the knuckle and into the caster block.

I understand that the guys have also been raising the inner link height to compensate for the outer one being raised further.

It reduces the camber gain on the front end during roll and the drivers feel that it makes the car more forgiving to drive and easier to get on the throttle with coming out of the corners.

Due to the raised ball stud position, it will also affect the roll centre as well as the camber gain and I'd be lying if I claimed to understand whether it is this change or the reduced camber gain that is making the predominant 'feeling' from doing this but it is a relatively quick and easy mod to try.

Like I said - I've not done it yet myself - mainly because I'm both lazy and don't race enough at this time of year - but in truth, I still like the feeling I get from the standard set up.

But for people who want a 'safer' feeling and one that maybe lets go of the corner quicker when you hit the throttle, this is a mod that has definitely found favour with those that have tried it.

Yes it does seem very similar to the mods that were done in the past - but perhaps they were done for similar reasons???

HTH
Old 31-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarly Old Dog View Post
I don't have pics because I've not yet done this myself but I do know that Darren and Si Reeves amongst others have been using this link to good effect.

You have to shave 3mm from the top surface of the steering knuckle and ream the hole out in the steering knuckle to allow a long threaded ball joint to pass through the knuckle and into the caster block.

I understand that the guys have also been raising the inner link height to compensate for the outer one being raised further.

It reduces the camber gain on the front end during roll and the drivers feel that it makes the car more forgiving to drive and easier to get on the throttle with coming out of the corners.

Due to the raised ball stud position, it will also affect the roll centre as well as the camber gain and I'd be lying if I claimed to understand whether it is this change or the reduced camber gain that is making the predominant 'feeling' from doing this but it is a relatively quick and easy mod to try.

Like I said - I've not done it yet myself - mainly because I'm both lazy and don't race enough at this time of year - but in truth, I still like the feeling I get from the standard set up.

But for people who want a 'safer' feeling and one that maybe lets go of the corner quicker when you hit the throttle, this is a mod that has definitely found favour with those that have tried it.

Yes it does seem very similar to the mods that were done in the past - but perhaps they were done for similar reasons???

HTH

Hi Gnarly Old Dog,

just to be sure and safe, do I need to shave 3mm the following part (picture attached), doesn't I?

Is it correct, please?

In this way the front camber link will be connected outer on the steering knuckle with an high inclined angle.

Thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steer_22.jpg (12.1 KB, 255 views)
Old 31-10-2011
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynx75 View Post
Hi Gnarly Old Dog,

just to be sure and safe, do I need to shave 3mm the following part (picture attached), doesn't I?

Is it correct, please?

In this way the front camber link will be connected outer on the steering knuckle with an high inclined angle.

Thank you
Yes - 3mm is removed from the top of the steering knuckle.
Old 19-11-2011

I tried Darren's setup on Thursday and liked it! I didn't modify the front camber link just yet but I started with everything else on his setup and changed a few things to my liking. It handled the jumps much nicer than my previous setup and had a nice feel to it. Carried a good amount of corner speed
Old 19-11-2011

Tried it as well and felt very easy to drive but I couldn't go as fast on my tight track. Went back to orange/blue spring, short links but kept the inline (moved back) and prefer it that way. I can enter sooner in corner.
Old 19-11-2011

my biggest problem is that the schumacher stagger ribs are out everywhere
Old 22-11-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaune View Post
Tried it as well and felt very easy to drive but I couldn't go as fast on my tight track. Went back to orange/blue spring, short links but kept the inline (moved back) and prefer it that way. I can enter sooner in corner.
I also went to rear orange springs and tried the blue fronts but preferred the black springs. I'm also running long link in front and 2-C link in rear. I added some weight to the front in addition to the aluminum pivot I have been using for a while now.

We have a big race this weekend so I have a couple additional changes to test.

Bob
Old 30-11-2011

Are there any pics of the modded caster block, with or without the ball stud on it?