Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Ansmann Racing

Old 22-11-2011

Default MadRat brushed to brussless conversion, How

Convert MadRat brushed to brushless.
I’m sure this question has been asked before so apologies but this is all new to me.
I would be grateful for your feedback
I want to convert my MadRat to brushless setup
I was looking to see how much room (height)there is under the shell using shell as a guide for the ESC I measured approximately 33mm high.
A lot of ESC have fans attached but the height is greater than 33mm.
My question is can you get a different shell (can you get better shells which is stronger than factory supplied) that will allow more height and which ESC can fit this car.
I’m on a budget for an ESC, Motor & programming card I have looked on Hobby king web site and it’s possible some may fit.
Thanks Ian
Old 22-11-2011

Hi Ian, i am assuming it was you with your nipper there on Sunday at Torch ?? with the madrat going nuts over the jumps lol

I have a rat too with the Etronix 9turn in it

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/etronix-...products/39695

you can run it without the fan if required, doesn't get that hot in 5 minute races. With the fan it does rub slightly on the shell but nothing drastic. £70 for the lot and you cant complain. More than happy to bring it down with me on sunday if you want to try it out, see if its what you are after
Old 22-11-2011

Forgot to mention, you would probably want to upgrade the idler gear and ceramic ball race the diff too. If its not got upgraded bearings this would also need doing. Idler is about £6, ceramic balls about £8 and the bearing kit is about £10 also
Old 22-11-2011

lordnikon yes is was my 6 year old son at Torch giving all and some until the front shocks popped open.

The Etronix 9T was the one I thought would do the job, so it’s good to know it fits.

I’m hoping to be there on Sunday depending if there is any more juniors racing (first race), it would be good to have look at your rat thanks for the offer to give it a try, if you are happy for my son to drive it.
As for the upgrades I have been thinking about the bearing kit but didn’t realise about the other items where can you get them.
Old 22-11-2011

Yeah no problems for him to have a bash, can always replace the parts off his if he breaks it lol (kidding)

Idler gear is here ....

http://www.m-k-racing.com/product_in...d4642eb8c05995

Diff balls ....

http://rclazy.com/shop/lazyballs/laz...ic-diff-balls/

Bearings, looks like they have gone up alittle in price .....

http://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.ph...product_id=590
Old 22-11-2011

if you want you can always cut out a square for where the fan sits and then you wont have to worry about any overheating issues. Although it doesnt look aesthetically pleasing.

I have a Fusion exceed esc and motor in mine and that doesnt have the fan and sits easily under it.

Or alternatively if you can lay it on its side so that the fan faces the front and will use the air coming in through the front to cool it also (providing the dimensions are under however high the shell is

Main Driver - Dean Close

Cars - Mad Rat with 10t brushless motor
- HPI Blitz with 6.5t brushless motor