Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Associated

Old 07-01-2012

Default B3 Shocks

not sure if this is the right section or not?

i recently dug out the B3 buggy with about 10years worth of dust on it....

low and be hold its still a competitve little buggy keeping up with the lastest stuff at the local track even with the old trinity speed gem 2 opal. (a quick com true and some new brushess could see it top roster imo)

now the shocks seem a little saggy as the rear end bottoms out quite a bit.

i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of some new shock with screw threads that might fit the B3 to raise the ride height a little.....
Old 07-01-2012

we use the associated threaded ones, v1 or 2
Old 07-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I'm pretty sure that the rear shock dimensions on the b3 & b4 are the same, so changing to threaded shocks won't get you any more ride height
Old 09-01-2012

well i managed to gain a little extra ride height by fitting some front shocks from a hyper 7 1/8th nitro buggy.....

off for a test drive
Old 09-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I presume you have added more preload spacers to increase the ride height if it was that saggy?
(along with changing the shock mounting positions)
Old 10-01-2012
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3.is.King View Post
not sure if this is the right section or not?

i recently dug out the B3 buggy with about 10years worth of dust on it....

low and be hold its still a competitve little buggy keeping up with the lastest stuff at the local track even with the old trinity speed gem 2 opal. (a quick com true and some new brushess could see it top roster imo)

now the shocks seem a little saggy as the rear end bottoms out quite a bit.

i was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of some new shock with screw threads that might fit the B3 to raise the ride height a little.....
Are u doing area51, if so you can see what mods ive done to mine. Ive got more uj washers, losi axles for my mip ujs to give more droop and aides jumping big time. Youll have issues fitting the screw threaded shocks so would advise just buying some shock sesls and rebuilding them as they are fine as they are and can easily match and beat mid motored cars, including 4wd (proved this on friday). Any issues pm me.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 10-01-2012

Dose anyone know if the b4 cvd dogbones are any longer than the b3 ones as I could do with a 3-5mm extended cvd dogbone.

Bit worried that there is an increased risk of the bone leaving the collar on large jumps under power..
Old 10-01-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

You'd probably be better off limiting the down travel as otherwise you could risk the driveshafts hitting the diff on compression
Old 10-01-2012

Hhm goinh to have to think about this one.

I don't think that they will hit the diff but I will take a look at it.

maybe it would be best to come up with a way to extend the length of the axle calgary slightly so that the dog bones can't come lose
Old 10-01-2012

2nd hand b4's are very cheap, I would go that route than to fix your current ride.

where does the tuning stop? thank me later
Old 10-01-2012

B4 parts dont fit. Cheaper to get these Losi 1042 axles from DMS. Perfect fit onto any MIP designed UJ. UJ washers are easily obtainable and not expensive.

Car jumps really really well, travel is spot on and UJs do not pop out or grind. I use associated ball joints on the rear shocks (I put on both holes on the rear wishbones so I can pop off and po on if I need more travel with zero time wasted. This also gives a bit more clearance on the rear due to using the long associated B4 plastic balljoints.

On carpet I recommend using staggers front and mini pins rear and the car easily keeps with mid motored without any issues, possibly better at jumping overall. B4 is not as user friendly and very hard to get set up, whereas the B2/B3 is a doddle to find a reasonable set up.

There really isnt much to updgrade on this buggy except buying a B4 layshaft and slipper plates, slipper pad and 81 B4 spur to handle the brushless motors (direct fit with zero modification needed) and the rest is just getting the setup right and thats it.
Answer UK team driver
Old 10-01-2012

To be honest there isn’t really much to any of these buggy’s... and after 10 years out of the sport I don’t see any real advancements (apart from electrics – lipo/brushless) in them to make me want to buy anything over my B3.

All that I can see it that manufactures are making these buggy’s easier to drive, thus buy the latest and win. Although saying that, you’re never going to beat someone who knows their buggy really well and has had plenty of practise with it just by buying this year’s model.

And the tuning never really begins as there is nothing to tune on the B3 apart from the pinion and spur gears and the spring rates but this is done at track side, what I like to call track maintenance.
Oh and to keep this retro I’m still going to run brushed motor this season or at least till I run out of material to lathe off....

Now back on topic

The only reason I have been trying to fit these different shocks is because I had them spare and they add a slightly different stance, plus it opens up options with regards to different springs. (oh plus it’s a little winter project J whilst the weather is real bad)

I will give the losi axles a look, but I think you have hit the nail on the head with the washer idea... maybe I could shim the wheel side axle over 2mm or so as that would keep the dog bone in the output axle at full drop.
Old 10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3.is.King View Post
To be honest there isn’t really much to any of these buggy’s... and after 10 years out of the sport I don’t see any real advancements (apart from electrics – lipo/brushless) in them to make me want to buy anything over my B3.

All that I can see it that manufactures are making these buggy’s easier to drive, thus buy the latest and win. Although saying that, you’re never going to beat someone who knows their buggy really well and has had plenty of practise with it just by buying this year’s model.

And the tuning never really begins as there is nothing to tune on the B3 apart from the pinion and spur gears and the spring rates but this is done at track side, what I like to call track maintenance.
Oh and to keep this retro I’m still going to run brushed motor this season or at least till I run out of material to lathe off....

Now back on topic

The only reason I have been trying to fit these different shocks is because I had them spare and they add a slightly different stance, plus it opens up options with regards to different springs. (oh plus it’s a little winter project J whilst the weather is real bad)

I will give the losi axles a look, but I think you have hit the nail on the head with the washer idea... maybe I could shim the wheel side axle over 2mm or so as that would keep the dog bone in the output axle at full drop.
Ive tried just shimming and doesnt work as if you do that you wont be able to put the pin thru the axle plus if u manage it the wheels lock up. I had a lot of issues and tried all ideas until i tried those axles. Not expensive and works well.
Answer UK team driver