Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/8 Nitro Off Road / Rallycross

Old 07-02-2012

Default Invited to go Rallycross - need a cheap buggy

Hey guys
A friend has invited me to Rallycross with him this year. He takes it quite seriously (he's bought himself an MP9 for this season)

I've said I'd go along with him but don't want to spend too much as I know nothing about nitro and am just looking to go along for a bit of fun.

Was just going to buy an Rtr with a 21 engine and use my own radio - was looking at an HPI trophy 3.5

My question is, is this going to be completely uncompetitive along the lines of turning up to a 1/10 meeting with a Grasshopper, or will it be ok to race and have a bit of fun with.

If not - any suggestions?

Like I say, I'm not looking to go all out, just want to come along for the ride and have bit of fun
Old 08-02-2012

Default try this

try this http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92862

this would be more competetive, than a rtr
however it's more about the driver than the cost of equipement in rallycross, the cars are all massively over powered and it all about calming down the setup to make it easier to drive, a trophy 3.5 or d8s would be good to have ago with.
enjoy it
Old 08-02-2012
Mad Member

I'd see if you can get a used chassis. Argus engines are quite cheap, I wouldn't rule out used engines but unless you know their history can be a bit dodgey buying that way.

Losi 8ight chassis are good, spares widely stocked. AE are good, with great back up. As I've just said in another post you'd do well to get along to the club or clubs you'll be racing at and see what people are running. If you have a car that a few or a lot of others are running at that club and you break something chances are someone can help you out so your day isn't over too early.

What's your budget ? If you only want to do it for fun and it's not too serious the Losi 8ight RTR is great, everything you need INCLUDING starter box. You could even sell the radio it comes with. I think if you search Layloo on here he had one for sale last week but it might have already gone ?

My paintwork thread
Old 08-02-2012

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I was looking at around the 300-350 mark. Was looking at the Hyper7 as well, but the Losi rtr does look good value though!
Hmmm I am certainly tempted!
Old 08-02-2012
Mad Member

You need to change the servo's out to something better but it comes with that Spektrum Transmitter, you could move the servo's on with that ?

Getting a used chassis is cheaper but you still need starter box, servo's, rx, tx, engine etc etc etc, at least with the Losi you get it all in one. I think all the other RTR's are pull start, that's no good for racing. You can your pitman will soon be tired of it.

My paintwork thread
Old 02-03-2012

Caster racing are a good priced buggy to get you into racing or you could follow what most have done in the past including myself and start with a hyper 7
Old 02-03-2012

As has been said above, find your self a used roller and build it up your self....in any rtr you will need better servos and if your racing theres nothing worse than your pull start giving up on you
So you will need a sealed back plate and starter box on top of the rtr buggy plus a good servo.

you can find a good losi 8 2.0 roller for £120. so I reckon you will be able to sort most of it for around £350.
Old 02-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

if your going with your mate,you can jump off his starterbox to begin with,its handy to have your own but not essential,i would go for a good chassis over a top engine,that way you wont be fixing it all the time,with the engine somthing out of a rtr kit,they are usualy a 3 port so although slower than a top spec 7port engine,they tend to just keep going even when they arnt setup 100% right,plus if you do get it wrong they arnt as much to replace,its better upgread your engine to a top spec one after 6 months than it is to get fed up fixing a broken car every week,
its all about having fun

TRADE FEED BACK.... http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34486
Old 04-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnitrorc View Post
Caster racing are a good priced buggy to get you into racing or you could follow what most have done in the past including myself and start with a hyper 7
+1 on caster a bit more racing pedigree than hyper 7 and just as strong, the go engine is a bit agriculturally for tuning and could be difficult for a nitro newbie
Old 04-03-2012

Hi , il be selling a Hyper 8 rolling chassis sometime this week with uprated shock towers , uprated gears and many carbon fibre parts etc . Il upload it to ebay and il send you the link . PM me if your interested .