Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 03-06-2012

Default Mid Motor Setup

HelloAll

I am chanmging over to mid motor on my 22, from readingon here most peeps seem to run the mid motor a lot harder etc/heavier oil and hader sorings like the Green and Blues, can anybody help me to understand why?

Has anybody heard of the Thunder Power Z3r-m motor and are they any good.

Thanks Scott
Old 03-06-2012
Banned

Most people running mid-motor are doing so because they're running on higher-traction surfaces - astro to ozite; and with higher traction surfaces, and higher cornering speeds, comes the need for stiffer suspension settings.
Old 03-06-2012

Ok great thanks, how do you find the mid motor on grass? do yopu still run a hard set up ? what conditions you I soften this up?

Thanks Scott
Old 03-06-2012
Banned

The slicker the conditions (less traction), the softer the set-up.
Old 04-06-2012
Mad Member

As already has been said in general terms the more slippy the conditions the softer the set-up. Although roll centres and tires also play a large part in generating grip.

I have run my mid-motor 22 on grass, astro and dirt (loose dirt, not blue groove) this year and found that with a few subtle changes to front springs and roll centres the car generates a decent amount of grip in all conditions.

For example on grass I would run a Green front spring with 35wt oil opting for a blue spring when the grass is a bit thicker, while on astro I have stiffened it up to 40wt oil and a black spring and on dirt i've dropped to 27.5wt and the kit red spring.

I have found that I don't change the rear end as much as the front, running 27.5wt and a yellow spring on dirt and upping it to 30wt for grass or astro, occasionally using the pink spring on astro.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!