Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Bury Metro

Old 26-06-2012

Default Returning to RC after 5 year absence

Hi Guys,

I've finally given in to the urge to get back into this great sport after a five year absence and plan to once again make Bury Metro my local club. I
Wish to seek the advice of the club members before I part with any of my hard earned.
I came along to watch some of the regional at the weekend and so much has changed, namely the new circuit but the array of new cars and electronics available is staggering. The days of a simple choice between Associated or Losi in 2wd seem over with so many conversions available.
I'm pretty much set on Orion 90c lipo's and a Core RC charger but not decided on brushless system and chassis yet. I have a XXXCR car at home that I will use for a few meetings before I get something more current.
I like the look of the Losi 22 and it appears to b well priced compared with the centro and others, what is the consensus of this car around Bury? I've heard the car is very tough but a little tricky to set up?
As for ESC's I've been recomended the Losi Xcelorin to get me started with the 6.5 motor but am unsure whether this would be too quick for 2wd, what other combo's should I consider? I want to keep cost as low as possible to begin with.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chris
Old 26-06-2012
Super Moderator

Hi Chris, my 2p's worth:

Durango 210 or Centro C4.1

7.5 Motor, you don't really need mega power.

Losi Xcelorin is not the most reliable item in the world, I would choose one of the new breed of speedo's that have a boost function.

90C batteries might be a bit feisty for 2WD, I only run 30C - 45C in 2WD and 4WD and that is plenty.

It is very easy these days to get carried away with lots of speed and power but you still have to guide it around the track!

BRITISH NATIONAL 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2012
BRITISH NATIONAL SERIES 4WD VETERAN CHAMPION 2013

Old 26-06-2012

i run a xxx & xxx Mid motor, running modern lipos, lrp sxx speedo & 5.5 brushless, its competive put it in the A final on sunday, i only got back into it last year but love the car so sticking with it
Old 26-06-2012

The Losi 22, is ok but you have to faff around with the electrics, pain in the arse really, but the Durango 210 looks pretty good, or the B4.1.

Yes electrics have gone forward a lot,has ^ says the Losi system is not that good, Lrp SXX, nosram pearl v2, 7.5 T motor,has for lipo well 90c is over rated and over priced, Gens Ace lipos are far better than what most people think? I use them in my 8th scale racing they are top notch, and from the UK aswell I use 30c 5300 they good, going to be getting 45c next 5800

E REVO
BAJA,SS TS REED
All The Gear,and No Idea!!
4PKS,4PL
PILLOW CASE CREW
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29834
Old 26-06-2012

Heard a few good things about gens ace too so just bought a couple 5300 30c LiPo's myself an just waiting to test them out
Old 26-06-2012

Thumbs down

Thanks for the input lads.

To be honest I've heard that the xcelorin brushless was a bit tempremenal but just wanted to know what people thought of it. I will probably sway towards the LRP or Orion brushless systems instead, I didn't intend to spend that sort of money but It will probably be worth it in the end.
I have Tom Cockerill's XXXCr at home which would probably be a great car (I've never ran it) but really fancy a new chassis as I see it pointless going out buying springs etc for an old chassis.
The safe choice would be the B4.1 but it looks a bit dated these days an works out very expensive with the Centro kit. I know little to nothing about the Durango but Woody said it was a good car on Sunday. I suppose what I'm lookIng for is a car that is safe to drive which I heard the losi was, how does the Durango match up? And how accessible are Durango spares?

Chris
Old 26-06-2012

How much are these Gens ace lipo's and who sells/distributes them?
Old 26-06-2012

Gens ace 5300 30c hard case can pick up for £22 plus postage, I'll try an find link again an post it
Old 26-06-2012

Here's the link
http://www.giantshark.co.uk/gens-530...-p-406699.html
Old 26-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
the B4.1 but it looks a bit dated these days
if you're going to drive on high grip astro, it sure does; trails all that midmotor action, whether you're a good driver or not.

stay away from Losi Xcelorin, I went through 3 of those in less than a year; two just stopped working, a third flew up in smoke midway through the race. replacement ESC I used with good success HobbyWing, Viper and LRP.
Hyper 9e - MMM
Old 26-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

As a whole at Bury the DEX210 is more popular than the TLR22. No particular reason as both work well - the 22 is supposed to be hard to set up, but with Woody running one you shouldn't have a problem.
The major advantage for the 210 is that its got more room inside than the mid motor 22 - useful if your electrics are big.

You could still use that XXX-CR. Atomic Carbon do a nice mid motor conversion for it. Performs as well as the 22 or 210 TBH but you'd be the only one at the club.

Its worth noting that Woody is a Losi team driver, but doesn't use Xcelorin esc's - they are known for their flammable nature.

7.5t is the lowest I'd advise for a 2wd - and Bury's new track isn't that long, so even that isn't really needed. I run 10.5t quite happily and others are moving towards 8.5t at least. Running a 10.5t with an esc that has a 'Timing Boost' feature means I can crank it up for extra speed places like Southport with a longer straight.

90C lipos will be great, but aren't really needed. 50C will provide more than a 2wd can put down.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 26-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewskie View Post
good shout, just orderd my self 2 poacks

Old 26-06-2012

Thanks for the info again lads its much appriciated and very insightful.

i have given up on the idea of the Losi esc's and will probably play safe and go for the LRP Package.
so it appears the days of buying the most powerful cells is over? you need the right cells for the right application it seems. I was recommended the Orion 90c lipo,s in my local shop at £80pp but these cheaper alternatives look appealing if they will offer me the performance. I'm unsure of this "Boost Function" you speak of, is it essentially like changing the timing of a brushed motor?

I'm trying to find a good review of the Durango online but cant seem to find any good ones, do you know any? I really like the look of the Losi but having to squeeze my radio gear into it is putting me off somewhat.

Chris
Old 26-06-2012
Banned

The 210 is a great car! Good value for what you get.
Old 26-06-2012

if it was me personaly doing it all again I would get yourself a good 2nd hand b4.1... either an lrp sphere tc or v1 lrp sxx esc both you can pick up at reasonable price. go for a 7.5t motor then when you get your thumbs back convert it to c4.1. I run the above set up last time I run at Bury and still got 2nd in the A final.The b4.1 i the easiest way to get racing at a good level and are bullet proof nowadays cars can be made to go faster than you can handle and lipos are just silly i am still running 5600 30c in my 2wd its more like 90% thumbs 10% car these days
Old 26-06-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Another thumbs up from me on the Gens Ace Lipos. I run the 50c 5000mAh packs, and some older 25/40C hardcase packs in my B4.1. They are BRCA approved and super cheap. Excellent performance, and well worth it.

I've just noticed that giantcod/shark now stock the gens ace saddle packs. I'd be tempted to say go for saddle packs, even at 25C/50C peak. These will be more versatile in losi 22/centro and other buggies that take sticks.
I'll be buying one to test, before I make the move to a centro chassis, which needs saddles. 25C (50C peak) packs are fine for 2wd. People have found higher C rating cells a bit overkill and harsh for 2wd, especially in low grip/traction situations.

Some objective reviews of the gens ace packs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1d07VuMgzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwBVWFLbwS8

Boost. Yes it's essentially increasing the timing on the fly either after the throttle has been full for a short delay or all the time when a rev range is hit. I run a Tekin RS Pro, which has excellent boost and timing controls, but not for everyone as it requires a laptop/USB interface and software to make the tuning. You can essentially tune a higher wind motor to perform a lot faster.

I also came back to RC recently after 20 years off, but have picked it again quick enough. I considered all the 2wd options like you are now, but settled on the B4.1 first, and will upgrade to a C4.1 centro very soon (would have been quicker if i'd bought saddles initially ;-).
Lots of people at my local club (Batley) run durangos and AE B4 based mid motors, either vega, X6 or centro.
10electric | Batley Buggy Club | YORCC | RHR | MB Models
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 26-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Elworthy View Post
Thanks for the info again lads its much appriciated and very insightful.

i have given up on the idea of the Losi esc's and will probably play safe and go for the LRP Package.
so it appears the days of buying the most powerful cells is over? you need the right cells for the right application it seems. I was recommended the Orion 90c lipo,s in my local shop at £80pp but these cheaper alternatives look appealing if they will offer me the performance. I'm unsure of this "Boost Function" you speak of, is it essentially like changing the timing of a brushed motor?

I'm trying to find a good review of the Durango online but cant seem to find any good ones, do you know any? I really like the look of the Losi but having to squeeze my radio gear into it is putting me off somewhat.

Chris

Got the bug again mate? remember you from a long long time ago.
Raced the regional on sunday, didnt see you.
Believe me alot had changed since last time you raced ( for the better)
If you need any stuff to get you going, let me know

Chris Donnelly