Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 08-07-2012

Default Electrical problem! Just like having a flat lipo!

Please could anyone give me some advice as I’ve been having a few issues with my new SP Reventon R ESC and SP V3 6.5t motor set-up.

I installed this into my Losi 22 using the kit standard spur gear and 23t pinion. I’ve run the car 2-3 races at my local club with no issues and was really impressed with its performance . However, 2 weeks ago I ran it and in the first heat after two rounds of practice, the car stopped. My first thought was the thermal protection had cut in because it was a hot day. I checked the temperatures ESC = 56◦C and Motor was quiet warm but all in normal parameters. In round two, the car seemed great until the last lap, where the car, didn’t stop but acted like the lipo was flat. Again, I took the car off the track, check the temperature and lipo battery all was fine, I switched the ESC on and off and the car burst into life again!!!!

This is starting to really annoy me and I’m not sure what else to do!

Any ideas?

Trader Feedback

Cougar SV2
Supastox
Mardave
Team Associated

Speed Passion, Speed Power, Core RC
Old 08-07-2012

Send a message via MSN to russmini

The fact that switching off & on seems to solve this, would certainly point towards some sort of Thermal shutdown, but as you say, temps look fine.

Have you checked the motor?

I'd be inclined to strip and clean, make sure all is ok inside.

Check all connections, solder ones and mechanical, so Sensor Wire etc.

If you're happy with all those, then it's 'obviously' not those, but thats the easier solutions checked and sorted straight away.

What about Speedo Profiles? I had issues with mine some time ago. It was just too much and was shutting down, like you describe.

If happy with all that, how about trying a 'Power Cap' plugged into a spare RX port?
Old 08-07-2012

Thanks for the reply.

My esc does have a capacitor. Does this no do the same as a power cap?? Never heard of a power cap so not sure....

Any idea where I can get one if its not the same as the capacitor.

Thanks

Trader Feedback

Cougar SV2
Supastox
Mardave
Team Associated

Old 09-07-2012
Mad Member

The ESC capacitor is related to what the ESC and Motor are doing, the capacitor russmini mentions is one that goes into the RX, to protect from high current drain from the BEC, i.e. trying to steer and going to near WOT acceleration, this *might* cause the BEC to dip below its minimum current and brown out momentarily.

Search for "glitch buster".

LRP make them (i have one) Spektrum do too (SPM1600 is the pt no), and OneKiwi on here has some for sale as well. (I have a couple of those too.) They are only a few quid (under a fiver i think?) and for the effort to fit one and try it, well worth it.

Also, try rebinding and then re-calibrating your Tx/Rx (end points, zeroing trim and such) and ESC. Even try setting the ESC back to stock/factory settings. I had a similar issue that was solved by doing this. Could switch the car on, and it would work fine for about a minute, then just stop. Starting from scratch sorted the issue, its never done it since.

Also try a new/spare sensor cable/cleaning the sensor out as well. I got some gunk in mine and it made the car run *really* slow.
Old 09-07-2012

Thanks,

I have bought a glitch buster so will give it a go. After reading up on them it certainly sounds promising!

Cheers

Trader Feedback

Cougar SV2
Supastox
Mardave
Team Associated