Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 16-09-2012

Default spray can & liquid mask?

I'm planning to (attempt to) paint my first shell, but despite lots of airbrushing advice on here, I can't seem to find much in the way of advice for rattle cans.
Much as I'd like to get an airbrush, I can't really justify it before trying a few the simple way.

I've got a design in mind that I think will need liquid mask to make it work and I've read that a this can react with spray can paints, so how much should I apply or is there anything else that I can do to help?

So far I've ordered some paints and liquid mask, and also some "Nitro block" to seal it all at the end. Would it be worth a coat of Nitro block over the mask to protect it before I start painting, or should I simply go or an extra few coats of mask when I apply it?

Wingers
Old 16-09-2012

hi im no expert but as far as i can make out the liquid mask might react with the spray cans as cans are normaly solvent based paints and air brush paints tend to be water based nowadays. i have used cans in past but never with liquid mask only tape so not sure the thing to do is use a bit of the off cut from shell and try it first
Carisma gtb x2
Schumacher gt12 x2
Old 17-09-2012

I've never had a problem with rattle can paints, just apply it lots of thin coats.
Old 17-09-2012
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

Ive never had a problem using rattle cans ether,
but if in doubt apply the paint in light multiple coats letting them dry in between
Old 17-09-2012

Yes, I had seen that it is the solvents that attack the liquid mask but it sounds like I should be ok. I'll just give it a go with lots of light coats.

I suppose I should buy a new shell to butcher now then...

Thanks,

Wingers
Old 20-09-2012
Mad Member

Sorry about the slow ass reply, been too busy to get on here anyway...

LM is fine with Solvent paint, you need to make sure it's on quite thick though, ( the LM ), I've used this stuff for 10+ years while I was doing crash helmets, they were all with solvent based paint. However I was putting it through an airbrush so would have been thinner coats than you'll use with a spray can.

I'd suggest 6 decent coats of LM. When you're doing it don't load the paint up, as has been said above thin coats, real thin, it will dry with a little heat from a hot air gun / hair dryer. Make sure you work dark to light, if you can't back with white and silver to make sure it's covered.

Post up how you get on, someone else might find it useful.

My paintwork thread
Old 20-09-2012

I will do but I'm not sure when it will be.
Unfortunately I was had over by the online store I used as they were showing everything in stock but have since refunded me for all but the white spray paint so I ended up paying the full delivery charge for only one item. Now I still need to buy the mask, and other colours that I need.

It'll probably be another few weeks before I'm ready to start applying mask or paint if I'm honest...

Wingers