Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/10th OFF ROAD

Old 01-01-2013
Mad Member

Default shock set up , rebound , bladder etc

hi are there any tips for setting up shocks on 1/10th buggys etc

rebound ::: , what track conditions do you have %100 or run none ??

piston size / holes ::: again do you just stick to one size , and just change oil weights ??

bladder ::: also do you run with or without the bladder , and again when and what conditions etc ..

sorry if these seem stupid questions , but i want to get my head round a few things ..
Old 01-01-2013

Rebound is one i dont fully understand myself, so i just build all mine with as little as i possibly can.

Pistons, it depends how seriously you take your racing i guess. You can settle one a set you like and just adjust your oil, but there is more to it than that. The more holes you have in your pistons, the more "pack" there is. Basically this is disruption to the sitting oil as the piston suddenly moves. THe more pack there is, the more resistance there in on a sudden impact. For example, if you have 2 cars, one with 2 hole pistons in, and another with 4 hole pistons in and drop them both from the same height, the one with 2 holes will compress easier and land softer than the one with 4 holes. I would say its more a tuning aid for the track you are on. Less pack for smaller jumps, more for those where ure car is going to be landing harder.

Bladders, i hate them personally. I prefer the bleed screw type shocks. But i cant tell you the pros and cons of each, other than bleed screw are easier and quicker to build for me.

Im sure if i have left anything out or got anythin wrong then someone wil add to this
Old 01-01-2013

surely the car with 4 holes in the piston will be softer/compress faster due to the oil passing through the piston easier due to less restriction in oil flow with the extra holes?
Old 01-01-2013

its something to do with the turbulence that the oil flow creates. less holes less turbulence.

Im sure someone can clear it up, i could have things wrong way round... there are other threads on here about it too
Old 01-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun m View Post
hi are there any tips for setting up shocks on 1/10th buggys etc

rebound ::: , what track conditions do you have %100 or run none ??

piston size / holes ::: again do you just stick to one size , and just change oil weights ??

bladder ::: also do you run with or without the bladder , and again when and what conditions etc ..

sorry if these seem stupid questions , but i want to get my head round a few things ..

rebound - never, ever, ever run any rebound. rebound is a result of overfilling the shocks (too much oil), and if you try to build your shocks with rebound the first jump you go over it will blow the excess oil out of your shocks (unevenly)

pistons - generally, I find the pistons that work for me and then only fine tune via oils for different tracks

bladders - personally, no, I prefer emulsion style shocks. it's easier to be consistent, in building/bleeding them and in their performance
Old 01-01-2013

Have a listen to this then about never never rebound.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJy7kreK90
Old 01-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby View Post
rebound - never, ever, ever run any rebound. rebound is a result of overfilling the shocks (too much oil), and if you try to build your shocks with rebound the first jump you go over it will blow the excess oil out of your shocks (unevenly)
I think you're confusing rebound with hydraulic lock.
Old 01-01-2013
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

heres all you need to know CLICKY
Old 02-01-2013
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

More holes doesn't mean anything on it's own in terms of pack. This was all covered on another thread recently.

A combination of hole diameter and TOTAL hole area (of all holes) will give you the pack balance changes ... then there is oil to consider too ..
Old 02-01-2013
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howler View Post
I think you're confusing rebound with hydraulic lock.
nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler View Post
Have a listen to this then about never never rebound.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJy7kreK90
I didn't know we were talking about 1/8th scale, vented shocks, with foam compensators, or discussing the "buildup of rebound during a run" ---- instead of 1/10th scale, without vented shock caps, without foam compensators, and without pre-setting rebound ?????

http://youtu.be/eWBAKC-c1s4
Old 02-01-2013

I've always set my shocks (dampers) with the shock shaft fully compressed, whatever manufacturer. That way the shock will pull in any necessary air to balance out between fully compressed and fully extended so as little back pressure as possible is exerted on the shaft/piston so the spring is holding up the car not built up air pressure in the shock body. At ride height the shock should be roughly equal (pressure/vacuum theoretically). HTH's
Kyosho RB 6.7
MB MODELS www.rccarshop.co.uk
www.ghostrc.co.uk
Old 02-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerM View Post
More holes doesn't mean anything on it's own in terms of pack. This was all covered on another thread recently.

A combination of hole diameter and TOTAL hole area (of all holes) will give you the pack balance changes ... then there is oil to consider too ..
Although i've never experimented with different shock pistons I must say I agree with this answer, it seems logical.

If anyone wants to find out the total area of all the holes in their pistons the formula for the area of a circle is pi (about 3.142) x hole radius x hole radius (the radius of a circle is half the diameter).

For example the area of a 10mm circle = (3.142 x 5 x 5) = 78.5 square millimetres approx.

Don't forget to multiply your answer by the appropriate number of holes.

Can you post up the link to the thread you mentioned?
Old 12-01-2013

Default 3 hole pistons in the rear...???

I have very long time behinde me , but am new to the 2wd buggy . I'm totaly rookie at the shock setup . The stock setup was 40w oil and 2 hole pistons but i have put 3 hole pistons in the rear... I's that good or not ? My thing was the rear were more in contact to the ground and the shocks must moor in act.