Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 12-09-2015

Unhappy Speed Passion Reventon pro issue / website down

Hi all, my first post here after getting back into racing after a 20 year hiatus! I've started getting some kit together, including a brushless, sensored Speed Passion Reventon Pro ESC. I'm having some trouble with the speedo and was wondering if someone could help me out?

So, I got a Speed Passion motor (6.5T) & ESC (Reventon Pro) combo set, set it all up, plugged in the sensor wire and soldered the capacitors on, and put it in a Schumacher Cougar SV. I tried running it and at low throttle the motor cogs like mad (hope that's the right term - there's a low frequency hum and the pinion gear just shakes - and a bit of smoke came out of the motor - erk!). So I checked all the wiring and soldering and it all looks clean. I tried a different sensor wire and it didn't help. I *unplugged* the sensor wire and now it works like a dream - what's up with that?

Secondly, I thought that the firmware on the speedo might need updating/changing (the red light on the speedo is constantly flashing so I thought it might be running a stock "blinky" firmware) - I went on the Speedpassion site to check and it looks like the site has been taken down! Have Speedpassion gone bust? Is there anywhere else I can download firmware from?

Many thanks for any help and advice you can offer!

Edit: Looks like Speedpassion.net is back up and running again now - phew!

Last edited by big bad ben; 12-09-2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Fat thumbs
Old 12-09-2015
Mad Member

Have the got the motor plugs in the correct order?

Xray, Orca, 1UP Racing, Avid,
X Factory UK, RC Disco, Hudy,
RichPaint, RDT products, Screwz4rc

http://www.screwz4rc.co.uk

Old 12-09-2015

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, A to A, B to B, C to C!

I should've said, if I whack full throttle on, the motor runs ok, it's only if I try to pull away gently the cogging happens - and the cogging doesn't stop unless I return the throttle to neutral and then whack it to 100%. Not the smoothest way to get around the track!
Old 12-09-2015

Check the sensor lead is pluged in fully into the speedo, Know a few people had the same problem with the reventon pro....

HTH's

Shiny
Old 12-09-2015

Did you manage to do the firmware update? How did that go?

Have you got another motor you could try? If the hall sensor is dicky in the existing motor the esc won't know what to process (this wouldn't be common however).
Old 12-09-2015
Mad Member

Where did you get it from?
One of the low cost overseas suppliers sent 4 dodgy motors with 4 perfect Speedos. All the motors popped within a couple of days of first use.
Old 13-09-2015

Thanks for the replies so far - I'll give the software update a try in the morning and try again. I'm sure I pushed the sensor wire in as firmly as possible - both sensor wires that I tried - but I've seen people saying try pushing them in using a small Allen key so I'll give that a try too - it's just so weird there's no cogging when I *don't* use a sensor wire....

I did get the speedo/motor combo from an eBay seller - maybe it's a dodgy shipment... I'll try a different motor and see if that works better...

Thanks again!
Old 13-09-2015

Updated the software and all seemed to be OK...until about a minute into the first heat today and the car completely stopped - just the horrible low frequency grinding sound from the motor. Unplugged the sensor cable and all was well again. Grrr! I haven't tried a new motor yet but I think that's next on the cards...

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers!