Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 22-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Best ... hardware on earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Did I read that right - you've bought a Mac and run Vista on it? ... I'm not surprised you don't like that combination...
Make your mind up

Modern Macs are just PC's with an EFI instead of a BIOS running the Mac OS, Apple add their little bits like the multi touch pad ect but the core hardware is nothing different/special.

Before Slowone goes for the jugular, I dont hate Macs - I just dont understand the foaming, rabid devotion a lot of die hard Mac users have for their little boxes.

If anyone wants a cheap 'hackintosh', you can run Mac OS on the MSI Wind netbook (or cheaper/identical Advent 4211, if you can stomach going into PC World ).

Lastly anyone that has trouble with Vista either has a steam powered machine they are trying to run it on, of they're a bit... useless.
Old 22-08-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Lowe View Post
If anyone wants a cheap 'hackintosh', you can run Mac OS on the MSI Wind netbook (or cheaper/identical Advent 4211, if you can stomach going into PC World ).

Lastly anyone that has trouble with Vista either has a steam powered machine they are trying to run it on, of they're a bit... useless.
it's those sorts of quotes that makes me day lol....
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

I am a true Mac convert and have used one at work for over 11 years now. We have just one PC in our office and that is because the accounts software is designed around their operating system

Personally, I love Apple stuff although when you are comparing machines, they do appear overpriced compared to PCs. To me they work logically and are easy to use.

Talk to someone who has used or has both and find out the pros/cons. I would recommend it. As someone said before, the prices are coming down a lot and the MacBooks are as powerful as the Pro machines but with a smaller screen and a few other tweaks.
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Mac looks cool. Super thin notebooks nice design and it's overpriced because of that. If you want to have good looking notebook and want to pay more - good choice. Other way keep away. When I was buying notebook I had chosen Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Xi2550 - I don't regret it. My uncle bought it too and it's happy with it. I was thinking about Mac but hardware configs were low in comparison with other brands for same price. I hope you understand what I wanted to say (I'm not allways succesful in that ).

And if you don't like win - find nice Linux distribution that will be good for you.
Old 22-08-2008

Mac's are stupid. That's about all I can say.

They all use i386 now, so now you can compare like for like (you couldn't when it was ppc) you see that you pay through the roof for the hardware. I mean honestly, you get nothing hardware-wise for the money.

And the software - how much of a mug do you have to be to buy OSX?!?! It's UNIX based... and people pay for it lol. It's honestly a source of much amusement to me. If you want a UNIX like system, you can download one of many Linux distros for free, legitimately, and find unlike OSX they are decent too.

I love people that think Mac's are immune to viruses. Just as my mate did, until I checked his system. Nothing is immune to malware... sure most of it is written for Windows based systems but that doesn't mean all.

As for simple to use. If you took someone that has never seen a PC before and introduced them to OSX and Vista, I expect they will either find them equally easy to use, or maybe even find Vista better. I'm certainly a Linux user but even I own and enjoy Vista very much... Microsoft have done a great job with it.

The fact is, in terms of functionality nothing is better on a Mac. If you run engineering applications you do so Windows, Linux or UNIX. For business applications, you run Windows. Lets not forget what people always say Mac is best for - creative suites. Well basically every major film and tv studio actually use Linux for special effects and editting (runs much better on supercomputers) and I think applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver now run much better on Windows than Mac.

So the only reason therefore to have a Mac.... is to try to be different. Where ironically trying to be different, you are all herding in with the other people trying to be cool by having a Mac. It's just like the whole iPod thing. Take a second to compare and you will find players with much better sound quality (Creative, Sony, Toshiba, SanDisk etc) and better video support... yet it seems everyone has iPods because it's the 'cool' thing to have.

It's nice to have a rant.
Old 22-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

couldn't agree more Jason

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 22-08-2008

OK - I admit it. I'm superficial. Yes, I must be a tart. and Yes, I must have more money than sense but it is my money and dammit, I like being superficial.

I love my macs and have done ever since I had enough money to buy my first.

I can't be cold and logical when it comes to spending my money - I have to like what I am spending it on.
And the little pulsating heart beat along with the illuminated logo says it all - tres cool

Yes - you can get a comparable wintel box for a lot less money and, if you're not afraid of computers, they'll both do the same thing but I just can't get excited about the looks or 'feel' of a PC.

The bundled mac software is so intuititve to use that even my dad can use it - it took me 5 years to convince him to change and now he can't stop raving about how easy his new Macbook is to use.

You can't justify the purchase of a mac to anyone - those that instinctively know that they want a mac will find a justification. Those that don't won't. Their 'value' is intangable and pc fans will justifiably find good reasons why you shouldn't buy one.

But you know you still want one hhmmmmm....

Do it !! - life's too short to procrastinate. And hell, if you regret it, you can always buy a PC and satisfy yourself you'll be saving money cos it's cheaper...

PS - it's worth being a mac user just for the reaction you get when the spotty little oik in PC world asks if he can help you. Just start off by saying "I've got a mac and..." - Just watch the colour drain from his face
Old 22-08-2008

Thank you for confirming that people that buy Macs are indeed people with more money than sense, are superficial and illogical.

What is it with Mac users and the term PC. Do Apple suddenly sell mainframes, servers and supercomputers? Or do Mac users (and Apple marketing) not realise their machines are in fact Personal Computers? Just because IBM defined the term with a Windows machine, does not make all Macs somehow not PC's.

Choice as well, with Windows or Linux box you have a wealth of hundreds of thousands of completely different styles with hardware options (I can name hundreds of laptop manufacturers for Windows for example, try doing that for Mac) and you can style Windows and Linux much easier than Mac to suit your needs.

So I agree, you really can't justify the cost of a Mac to anyone. Everyone is different, which is good. So in a way I'm glad Mac's exist as it allows me to sort through people who have a sense and grip of reality.
Old 22-08-2008

Glad to have been of assistance!

Don't like reality - it's far too scary.

Just keep on clicking the snooze button on my mac - just so I can see the little heart beat.
It's so reassuring...
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

At the end of the day, choosing an Apple laptop compared to a Dell or HP is personal choice. The same opinions viewed on this thread can be applied to choosing a full-size car for example.

There are people out there who wouldnt buy a Lexus if they could get a Toyota that does the same job to the same standard. But then why do others buy a Lexus...

Personal taste is that, personal. Apple have created a demand for their products through adverts and image which clearly has had the desired effect.
Old 22-08-2008
Administrator

you big tart matt
I looked at the 'air' thing which was very nice indeed - but we bought an asus eee 1000H instead since it was a grand less It's vickys laptop but it's so ace that I've been using it nonstop.
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
you big tart matt
I looked at the 'air' thing which was very nice indeed - but we bought an asus eee 1000H instead since it was a grand less It's vickys laptop but it's so ace that I've been using it nonstop.
Now there's a post I can understand.

Jimmy, you know me only too well.
New pit mat for this weekend by the way!
Old 22-08-2008
Administrator

Does it match your colours this time? Make sure not to get it dirty!
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

It matches my APPLE MAC BOOK PRO, IPHONE and IPOD
Old 22-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

the I-matt?!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

Now there's an idea.

Just got to create the demand, which could be a problem...
Old 22-08-2008

i personally like macs but as ppl have said pcs running vista are good as long as your willing to get under the hood a lil! but for out of the box performance a mac with lepoard has the slight advantage as its a bit more zippy. so........... in all respect if your lazy buy a mac!
there is other alternatives as well! you could buy an x86 (pc hardware) laptop and a copy of osx for about the same price as a mac book pro then run osx under the osx86 concept thats been around for a few years. reports are a noted improvement in performance over both vista an a natively run mac! or i suppose you could jus run a linux distro as it uses the same kerna as the mac os
i own a pc running xp and a laptop running celena both are great and would not change unless you offered me a nice mac pro with 2 xeons and 16 gb ram! i use comps for music, vsti's ect if you wondering about so much ram
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

Send a message via ICQ to lochness42 Send a message via MSN to lochness42 Send a message via Skype™ to lochness42

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
As for simple to use. If you took someone that has never seen a PC before and introduced them to OSX and Vista, I expect they will either find them equally easy to use, or maybe even find Vista better. I'm certainly a Linux user but even I own and enjoy Vista very much... Microsoft have done a great job with it.
To this. I think for newbie is PC with any OS one big jungle and it doesn't matter which one.

My friend teached his grandma to work with pc that had Ubuntu installed (she didn't have PC before) and she has no problem with it (so noone can say that Linux is only for nerds or geeks).

Personally I have both Vista (it was on notebook by default) and Linux (Debian and Ubuntu distro). I've got win only because of games and maybe one small amount of specific programs (most programs has great opensource alternative). One negative in terms notebook + linux is here - not all hardware is well supported in all notebooks (some works without problems some not).
Old 22-08-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

Linux is much better than it was, especialy as the installation and setup becomes more automated and a decent GUI.... but like most, I don't need it, I play games and internet, so the Windows route is the holy road
Old 22-08-2008

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by glypo View Post
Lets not forget what people always say Mac is best for - creative suites. Well basically every major film and tv studio actually use Linux for special effects and editting (runs much better on supercomputers) and I think applications like Photoshop and Dreamweaver now run much better on Windows than Mac.
EH!

Finalcut, Shake, Motion, Logic Studio - All Apple software and all used by major Film and TV studios. Sure some may use the odd custom Unix prog for something very very special but only in large hollywood studios. Nearly everyone else uses something like Finalcut, Premiere or Avid (the later two on a mix of windows and mac boxes), nothing special and nothing that needs a super computer!!.

As for the other creative industries you'll find Apple products as the backbone in almost all of them. 3D and Web being the main exceptions. But I know of a few 3D companies who have mac boxes running XP because the software runs better!!

Having worked on both windows and Mac platforms with PS, Illustrator, Indesign and Quark i can honestly say that sure there isnt much in it in terms of speed but the mac boxes have always had it in terms of stability which for me, in the real world of work, is much more important than outright speed.

Dreamweaver and Flash not much in it except the Flash movies run a bit faster on Windows.