Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 21-08-2008
Lee-Mag

Default Mac Laptops

What does everyone think to them?

I think they look smart, but are they worth the money.

Oh and it needs to be a laptop, desktops are no good for me before the PC fanclub attack me

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 21-08-2008
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Well do you want it because it looks good or because you need the Mac OS?
Old 21-08-2008

I dont rate APPLE as i think it is well over priced..........

I was looking to by a new laptop yesterday and i was looking at the APPLES but i went for a TOSHIBA EQUIUM A300D - 16C

Schumacher MI4 lp: Tekin rs pro speed passion V3 10.5
Old 21-08-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I think they look smart, but are they worth the money.
In terms of hardware, of course not, you can get much more for your money with a "traditional" laptop.

As Southwell says, it all depends how keen you are on Mac OS (and associated software).
Old 21-08-2008
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
Well do you want it because it looks good or because you need the Mac OS?
It's because he's a cock and has more money than he knows what to do with!

G
Old 21-08-2008
Mad Member

Best OS and hardware on earth. Everything just works, doesn't crash, and is sooooo easy to use. Always backwards compatible, get cheaper every year, and upgrades are easy.

I've used Macs since 1987, and I'm on my third - they might be more expensive than a cheap PC, but you don't have to buy on very often. My SE30 was upgraded after six years because there was no Internet when it was designed. My G4 was upgraded in 2004 when I needed to go to the OS10 operating system to get iTunes, etc. for my iPod. This Powerbook G4 has had a memory upgrade this year (£100 to 2 Gig) to run Leopard and MobileMe. My iPod Touch now has mobile e-mail, thanks to taking the new Leopard system and a £6.99 piece of software.

None of my friends in the office have succeeded in making Vista work properly first time (some not at all!!) and they change hardware like underpants. Poor products, overpriced and underperforming.

You can all scoff at a Mac, but I defy anyone to have spent less than me over 20 years on computers, and yet have all the latest software and gizmos loaded - and working.
Old 21-08-2008
Lee-Mag

I like how the little apple glows on the back when it on

But in all seriousness, i like the software, i like how quick they are and everything is so much more polished and neater than windows, i also like the photo packages they do. They are also a lot more friendly nowadays to windows style programs. i like them.

Did i mention about the little apple on the back

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 21-08-2008

HI LEE,

I have one at home, bit confusing at first to a P.C but I prefer my apple. Also doesn't pick up virus' like a P.C when you are on the net. Stylish and compact too.

http://www.teamxtreme.co.uk
Old 21-08-2008
Administrator

I fancied one but to get one as powerful as my samsung R700 I'd have to spend a lot more - and since I only use the laptop for race meetings, It's simply not worth it. They do look rather nice though.
Old 21-08-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Best OS and hardware on earth. Everything just works, doesn't crash, and is sooooo easy to use. Always backwards compatible, get cheaper every year, and upgrades are easy.

None of my friends in the office have succeeded in making Vista work properly first time (some not at all!!) and they change hardware like underpants. Poor products, overpriced and underperforming.

You can all scoff at a Mac, but I defy anyone to have spent less than me over 20 years on computers, and yet have all the latest software and gizmos loaded - and working.
Mmm, no. Apple now use Intel hardware just like everybody else and they are pushing OS's out faster and faster that needs patching every so often too. I have 4 laptops in my house, one of them a new-ish MAC running Vista and in that form it's no better, actually a lot worse than the others.

As some people have already said, if you are keen on the MAC OS and want a bling looking laptop then go for it. My wife couldn't be bothered going through the learning curve on the MAC OS so that is why we ended up putting Vista on it. Now we like it even less, no right mouse button, no windows key, very poor battery life when running Vista, Apple webcam not compatible with Windows Messenger, etc.

On the other hand I have just bought a brand spankin new Dell XPS 1530 fully loaded for £800. Best laptop I have ever owned and I get a new laptop at least every year, sometimes twice a year (through work and otherwise) and have done for years so I've used a few. Almost as good as my new iPhone
Old 21-08-2008
Administrator

You can have my windows key! I have windows keys taken off all my keyboads shocking misserable little things whos sole purpose seems to be to jump you out of a game at the height of the action.
Old 21-08-2008
Mad Member

I'll swap you for the F7 and F8 key that keeps falling of my wife's MAC keyboard!
Old 21-08-2008
Lee-Mag

Windows keys are Gay Fact!!

I picked one up on the way home from work and im very impressed with it, it seems very fast, everything is done in an instant.

Is it just me or can you not get the web pages to fill the screen? Probably me just being thick

SUPER SEED

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 21-08-2008

Got a Macbook in December last year.

It's brilliant - I am a total Mac convert now - get one, you won't regret it!
Old 21-08-2008
Spends too long on oOple ...

I have enver seen the need for an Apple computer for home use, I can understand if you are into your computer artwork, but thats about it, I don't see any advantage. You rummage round the net and you find people with Macs have the same OS problems and hardware problems as with Windows.... It just costs you more money, thats all.

As for Vista, I must admit, I haven't had any issue's, had it since it came out, not re-installed it or anything, just kept the updates and the regular maintenance. I think the reason why people do upgrade hardware, is snobbery, computer snobbery, the newest thing is always better.... right??
Old 21-08-2008
Mad Member

some people upgrade hardware so as to be more productive. If you work in complex CAD programs, demonstrate software, etc. you can spend your life waiting for computers to do their job so that you can do yours. Having the latest and greatest fastest machine can mean the difference between selling someone on your new concept software or not.

But, as you rightly say, for most people newer hardware doesn't do much.

I am a real Vista fan too. Vista is awesome on powerful pc's laptops but it really does struggle on some older ones with less memory. If you plan on running Vista on your Mac make sure you get a lot of memory. If you plan on playing newer games on it get something better than the Macbook.
Old 21-08-2008

Send a message via MSN to craigosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Windows keys are Gay Fact!!

I picked one up on the way home from work and im very impressed with it, it seems very fast, everything is done in an instant.

Is it just me or can you not get the web pages to fill the screen? Probably me just being thick
You can get it to fill width wise, but height wise it will only fill from the bottom of the top bar to the top of the dock on the bottom, hence i have mine quite small and sometimes set to auto hide.

go to 'apple/dock/turn hiding on' to get it to auto hide.
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

Always used Apple machines myself ever since I had to admin a network with a mix of PCs and Macs and discovered which OS needed a whole load of software installed just to stop them keeling over when they were let loose on the internet.

Still using my 5 year old Powerbook G4 and each OS upgrade has meant it runs faster each time. Yes it was more expensive than the equivalent PC laptop, I guess most of the money went into the carbon fibre chassis and titanium case - it meant it has survived being knocked off a table a few times, try doing that with the cheap ABS cased PCs.
Except you can't drag Apples newer laptops off a table, the magnetic power lead just snaps off if you catch it. It's one of those nice details that you pay a but extra for but you soon realise why they have included it and wonder why PC makers don't.

Got a Macbook Pro and the multi touch trackpad, illuminated keyboard and light sensor are features that seem a gimmick, but again you soon start to wonder why no one else has them.

You notice nice touches like it recognises a camera, printer, etc. when you plug it in without crying out for a driver disk, and it takes about 5 seconds to join a wireless network.

And you can play a DVD without needing any extra software to be bundled with the machine.
Old 22-08-2008
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogger View Post
Mmm, no. Apple now use Intel hardware just like everybody else and they are pushing OS's out faster and faster that needs patching every so often too. I have 4 laptops in my house, one of them a new-ish MAC running Vista and in that form it's no better, actually a lot worse than the others.

As some people have already said, if you are keen on the MAC OS and want a bling looking laptop then go for it. My wife couldn't be bothered going through the learning curve on the MAC OS so that is why we ended up putting Vista on it. Now we like it even less, no right mouse button, no windows key, very poor battery life when running Vista, Apple webcam not compatible with Windows Messenger, etc.

On the other hand I have just bought a brand spankin new Dell XPS 1530 fully loaded for £800. Best laptop I have ever owned and I get a new laptop at least every year, sometimes twice a year (through work and otherwise) and have done for years so I've used a few. Almost as good as my new iPhone
Did I read that right - you've bought a Mac and run Vista on it? Isn't that like buying a Ferrari F1 car, putting a GP2 engine in it, and then complaining it doesn't seem to go very well? I'm not surprised you don't like that combination...

My System updates have numbered 5 in 34 months, with 20 Security updates in that time. Since installing Leopard in January, I have had 4 software updates (each with more features, including MobileMe, not just patches) and 3 Security updates. There have been two Mac OSs since 2004, each one optional, and each one totally backwards compatible.

That you don't like Macs is fine, but next time you diss something (anything) please check your facts.
Old 22-08-2008

Yup, Macs are simply awesome. Just wish i could afford one! (Preferebly a Macbook Pro )