Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > R/C Graphy!

Old 08-09-2012
Banned

Default Liquid mask & Vinly mask combined.

Hey Guys,

I wanna discuss how I can use Liquid Mask & Vinyl Mask together.
In my mind I see two options here.

1) Use the LM to Split up the background colours, when the segment of BG is unmasked then apply the Vinyl to create the foreground. The problem I see with this you could not overlap your foreground into various background colours? (if that makes sense!!)

2) apply the vinyl to shell first. Then cover the shell in liquid mask (over the vinyl) When the liquid mask is dry you can cut it as per normal. Then remove the LM and paint, when all the LM has been removed then you can work on the parts masked by the vinyl.

But... That's all well and good. But would you be able to peel the liquid mask away without lifting the vinyl?

What are your thoughts and experiences?
Old 08-09-2012

Hi mate, I use liquid mask and vinyl together, put vinyl on first then cover with liquid mask as normal. The thing to remember is to leave an bit of vinyl round the edge. then go over the extra bit with the scalpel lightly an peel back the window of liquid mask when your ready.
The only problem is when you want to do two designs close together and the excess overlaps. liquid mask won't lift the vinyl.
Hope that makes sense.

E-mail njsmithdesign@aol.co.uk

www.ndesigncustompaint.com
Old 08-09-2012
Banned

Thats kind of what I'm thinking, The LM will basically mask out the background.

So you would treat it like painting two shells, the first stage is remove all the LM and spray in those sections, then when its all removed, spray all the details into the remaining vinyl.

Ive ordered a cutter so it should be here next week. I'm really excited to use it haha! I've been bashing designs out on ilustrator all weekend haha!
Old 08-09-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyG

done a bit of this on one shell I did for Steve Kirk .... check out the link in my autosig, I did a little step by step guide / picture set on it.

Halfway down page 4.

You may have already seen it of course.
Old 08-09-2012

No just treat it as one shell, peel lm from vinyl as stated before spray the vinyl designs, then cut any designs in lm and spray or remove all lm and spray background.

E-mail njsmithdesign@aol.co.uk

www.ndesigncustompaint.com
Old 09-09-2012

Never mind playin on oople mr coleman youve got shells too paint 😱😜😱😜😱
Old 09-09-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Matt.

Not sure on exactly what N-Design is doing, could use some pictures to explain it better !

In my experience - liquid mask WILL lift the vinyl if you try to - for example lay down some typography or logo, then liquid mask over the top. When you peel the liquid mask off, it will pull at the vinyl and if it's a big enough area, it will pull the vinyl straight off!

I've done something similar to AndyG's walkthrough - but it takes time and planning !
AndyG and I have discussed this topic at length, and his was - for us - so far is the best.
If you want to overlap area's of colour and do the usual liquid mask stuff - then use liquid mask - the last few shells i've painted are using liquid mask for all of the design and only vinyl for details such as the window masks and carbon panels etc. I do all of the main design in liquid mask - to be honest - i'm favouring this approach as with liquid mask you have the safety net of all the mask - other than the area you are painting - protected.

With lots of my shells - where I only use vinyl - it's the exact opposite - the majority of the shell is unmasked and the details are masked using vinyl - as shown here : http://shillyshells.co.uk/wp/my-workflow/

Can't wait so see how you get on with the Cutter Mat - did you go for the Graphtex in the end - the expensive one ?

Would be very interested if there is a 'better way'

Andy

Custom Painted Bodyshells by me ! www.shillyshells.co.uk

http://www.shillyshells.co.uk
Old 09-09-2012
Banned

Yep I got the graphtec one, the link I sent too you.

I reckon its going to be a matter of just testing. Ive got a few pretty mad shells in mind so watch this space!

The cutter should be here Tuesday. So il be on it tuesday night