Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 12-10-2012

Default Turnigy track star brushless motor series

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_4620KV.html

Is ths a rebranded reedy/lrp x12 motor?
is it legal legal to use in efra races?
any experience with this motor in offroad racing?

Thanks
Old 12-10-2012

Send a message via MSN to metalmickey0

That looks a nice motor and not a ridiculous price like most are as well
Old 12-10-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex007 View Post

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_4620KV.html

Is ths a rebranded reedy/lrp x12 motor?
is it legal legal to use in efra races?
any experience with this motor in offroad racing?

Thanks
It's unlikely to be a rebranded LRP motor (it looks different for starters). Impossible for me to say whether it is from the same supplier or whether it is a very close copy of inferior quality without having one and running one.

Whether it is EFRA legal depends on EFRAs rules. It's not BRCA legal right now, but that might change if someone decides to submit one.

Motors are a tricky one. Just because the can looks fast doesn't mean the motor is fast! These could either be a club racing bargain or a waste of money - and you won't know unless you buy one.
Old 12-10-2012

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...or_3040KV.html

On the review of the 13.5t one guy says its the same as lrp x12 and assembles resembles the reedy motor. One guy say's the rotor is 12.5mm.

In the discussion of the motor it's mentioned that the motor is roar legal.
So hoping that some guy in here have some experience with this motor
Old 12-10-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

I've got an 8.5t version and it's very good for the money. It's visually a clone of the reedy motors. I haven't run a reedy but I can tell you that this motor is smooth. I've also got an x12 and it's no where near as hot or aggressive as that. The only problem I had was getting the solder to actually take to the tabs, but otherwise really happy with it. Buy one, it will be money well spent
Old 12-10-2012

I've got the 7.5t version of one of these that i'm putting in a project car (a HPI cup racer) that i'm building over the winter. All the reviews said how good it was, so it was pretty much a no-brainer really. The finish on all the machining seems really good, especially for the price.
Old 15-10-2012

I find the turnigy stuff is really good

I run 3800 turnigy lipos in my car and they have been no hassle in the 6 months ive ran them

Just ordered 2 5000 lipos from them which are roar approved ( whatever that is) and at 30 quid for the pair they are half the price of model shop lipos and twice the capacity!

Im also running a leopard motor which i think they supply and its great as well!
Old 15-10-2012

it same as reedy thunderpower hacker gens ace novak ballistic and the new motor bt horizon hobby
Roche
Stoke RCMCC
Monitex
FunDecal

Old 17-10-2012

I have a 13.5 Turnigy TrackStar, which I am using in a touring car.

Build quality is pretty good. The internal bearings are packed with really stiff grease, so need flushing out and relubing with a light oil.

When I first got it it was really fast. Competetive with anything else at our club. It also runs very cool. Much cooler than the X12 or SP/hobbywing motors at the same ESC settings.

However, after a couple of meetings, it seemed to "go off".
It feels like the timing ramp isn't being applied quickly enough, and when the turbo comes in it seems to take ages to wind up.
This was running on a Tekin RS Pro.
I swapped it over to use a Hobbywing Extreme Stock ESC, and it feels a little better, but still reacts slowly to the ESC timing inputs.
As such, I'm now at a disadvantage on the track, as I lose a meter or more when acccelerating out of a corner.

It wasn't like this when I first got it, so something has changed or broken. there is nothing inside which is obviously at fault.
No settings were changed on the ESC to provoke the behaviour.
three different sensor cables were tried.

In summary, when I got it it seemed like a fantastic bargain. Genuinely competetive with anything else out there. (I bought it to replace an X12 and was not dissapointed).
Now, I have a motor which works, but is just a fraction off the pace for competetive racing, with no easy way to figure out what the problem is.
I'm not sure wheter to try another one, or bite the bullet and get another LRP/Noram.
Old 16-02-2013

Default Slow motor

My seed passion 13.5 seemed to slow down a tad recently, I discovered the screws has come loose and the end bell had turned slightly retarding the timing, may be worth checking, ps i bought one of those bullistorm motors and it is exactly the same as the orca and gm motors, I believe they make them them for orca or they come the same factory and orca have the cans machined. It cracks me up when companies like orca and speed passion rebadge a factory item and sell for 2 or 3x the price, like the hw 2.1 esc/ sp gt and bullistorm/orca,gm.
Old 16-02-2013

I put one of these in my gt12 , 13.5 run it back to back with my dynamite 13 the lap times were identical

Not bad for £20