Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Team Losi Racing

Old 11-11-2012
Mad Member

Default Indoor astro set up

Hi guys I ran at turf wars at southport today which was indoor astro and really struggled with my set up, it's a surface that's very different to normal outdoor astro and incredibly high grip level and bite.
The Main problem I had was it having major push on power and then diving off power, now I know this is caused by the weight transferring back and forward excessively but for the life of me for all the changes I made though out the day couldn't stop that awful handling characteristic of pushing and diving. Any set ups or set up advice for this surface would be much appreciated
Gavin
Old 12-11-2012

Is there any chance you could post your set up so we can see where you finished and offer suggestions from there.
Old 12-11-2012
Mad Member

Front
Oil 35
Pistons 55
Blue springs
Axles low. (didn't realise I'd left this from a previous polished floor meeting until after the meeting admittedly I know this make it aggressive)
Shock position tower middle, wishbone middle.
Ride height 20
Camber link 2 (shortest) 0 spacer inside 2mm outside
Camber 1 deg
Tyres Schumacher yellow cut stagger no insert
0 deg toe
2mm bump spacer

Rear
Oil 32.5
Piston 3 hole 1.5 mm
Spring yellow
Ride height 20 mm
Toe 4 deg HRC
2deg anti squat
Camber 1 deg
Camber link 1 inside, furthest back and second widest hole on hub
75 gram under lipo
Chassis converted to side by side saddle and turnbuckle link from gearbox
Schumacher yellow mini spikes light blue medium insert
Forward cab shell
Old 12-11-2012

There's a couple of elements on your setup that I can't comment on such as the chassis mod you have made and the 3 hole 1.5mm pistons but I would suggest that a longer front link may have helped along with raising the inner ball stud on the front by 2mm.

I'd also suggest limiters under the pistons in the front to help reduce the weight transfer.

Not sure what caster and kick angle you were running? But off the top of my head, 20 deg kick with 10 deg caster would hold the nose in the turn longer than 25/5 would.

Hope this helps as a starter.
Old 12-11-2012

Default Birkdale 22 set-up.

If your racing at turf wars round 3 on the 2nd of December come and see me and we'll get it set up.

John Kirkman.
Old 12-11-2012
Mad Member

Are you running a ball diff?

assume you are running mid motor?!

Are you running drag brake?

if you are on a high grip track then strong drag brake or running strong initial braking will cause weight to transfer faster than needed. as the weight is slung to front it will cause the pushing.

I would try black front springs with 37.5 losi oil and pink rear springs.

stiffer front springs and oil will help weight transfer under braking/slowing for corner entry.

Are rear pistons tapered? just wondering if running tapered rears and standard fronts would be causing faster dive as weight moves away from rear

try dropping ride height to 18mm too... i found the 22 is very sensitive to ride height

Have you tried changing back to standard body? the forward cab could be giving too much downforce on front end... not really something the 22 needs on slower sections but i found it does help high speed corner stability.

The chassis mod sounds interesting, got any pics?... i tried rotated saddles on mid car but kept motor guard as removing it gave far too much chassis flex front to back, assume you have removed guard and use a turnbuckle to stop this?

As Gnarly says, Kick up and castor angle are important and strongly affect the weight transfer.
Old 12-11-2012
Mad Member

I was running 25/5 caster and tried both black/pink and blue yellow combonations with no avail.
Yes your spot on with the mod that's what the link is for, I've not finished it yet at the moment I'm running b44 battery bars with the link to one side which is temporary, I've just received a new piece of CF to fabricate a new lipo brace which is a little stiffer and can then have the link directly in the centre.
No the pistons are just drilled out standard
Old 12-11-2012
Mad Member

Also I must stress this is the first time I've had problems like this. It's just on this surface which baffles me as didn't think indoor astro would be so different to outdoor astro
Old 12-11-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frecklychimp View Post
Are you running a ball diff?

assume you are running mid motor?!

Are you running drag brake?

if you are on a high grip track then strong drag brake or running strong initial braking will cause weight to transfer faster than needed. as the weight is slung to front it will cause the pushing.

I would try black front springs with 37.5 losi oil and pink rear springs.

stiffer front springs and oil will help weight transfer under braking/slowing for corner entry.

Are rear pistons tapered? just wondering if running tapered rears and standard fronts would be causing faster dive as weight moves away from rear

try dropping ride height to 18mm too... i found the 22 is very sensitive to ride height

Have you tried changing back to standard body? the forward cab could be giving too much downforce on front end... not really something the 22 needs on slower sections but i found it does help high speed corner stability.

The chassis mod sounds interesting, got any pics?... i tried rotated saddles on mid car but kept motor guard as removing it gave far too much chassis flex front to back, assume you have removed guard and use a turnbuckle to stop this?

As Gnarly says, Kick up and castor angle are important and strongly affect the weight transfer.
Very good point with the drag brake yeah I was running 10% drag just to try it and forgot about that... Supposed that wouldn't of helped
Old 12-11-2012

Darren has emailed over his set up from Silverstone Round 2 at the weekend. They run on Hi traction astro, so this might be worth a look at for some guidance.

HTH
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB Silverstone Winter Series RD2.jpg (591.6 KB, 86 views)
Old 13-11-2012
Mad Member

Cheers pal, interesting to see the LRC block used I've generally been told high roll centre on high grip but who'd argue with bloomers....
Old 13-11-2012

In my opinion the LRC will generate more traction but let go towards the latter stage of the turn. The HRC block generates less overal traction but is more progressive in the way it breaks away, so if you have a bunch of HRC blocks maybe just start off by reducing the toe and see how it goes; especially if you have a lot of traction to start with. Having said that, if you are going to put DB set up on you have to go the whole hog to get a true feel for it.
Old 19-11-2012

how would the above setup work o high traction ozite...