Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Events & Venues > CLUB TALK > Titchfield Off Road Club Hants

Old 10-07-2013

Default Batteries and a charger?...

First I want to say it was great coming down on Sunday, I was really impressed with the track and the whole place looks really professional! I'm really looking forward to getting my car on the track now (even if it's gonna be the slowest one there! )

I got some really useful advice from the guys down at the track, which I've tried to put to use looking for batteries and chargers but now have a few questions re what I've found!

I put the same question to the guys in the Durango section of the main forum but would like your opinions and also more specific advice as to how this all relates to your track!

So, Julian was saying he uses 5700mah packs and they are useful because they last a bit longer, maybe even two races so I found the below packs but mattr on the main forum thinks they are probably not a good bet as they weigh a ton and the stock electrics won't be able to make use of their power anyway. My first question is do you agree and will they be worth using with upgraded electrics as they could make use of the power or are they just too porky for racing?

https://www.rcgeeks.co.uk/Turnigy-RC...-NC6000-2S2P-6

He recommended shorty packs as they are smaller so they can be moved around to balance the car, which I imagine could be useful but I would probably want to highest Mah/C rating available mainly for future proofing, but I've not managed to find any decent ones other then on U.S. sites.

The other option is saddle packs like the ones in the link below. Again I may try and find much performance ones but if 6000 is too much should I be looking for something around 5700 mah but still with the same C rating as the first? Which of these options to you think is best and are there advantages to any for astro?

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/gens-480...-p-407511.html

And I was going to go for this charger:

http://www.giantshark.co.uk/power-b6...-p-406285.html

Cheers
Dean.
Old 10-07-2013

You can't go wrong with gens ace saddles, both the 4800 and 5100 are brca legal, word of warning regarding the gens ace 6000, they are 5mm taller than the standard size packs so may not fit your car, they don't fit the cougar sv2.
I would go for the gens ace 5100 saddles
Cheers
Robin
Old 10-07-2013

I use the 6000mah Nano-Techs you've linked and TBH after a 5-minute heat they barely go below 8 volts so Julian is right, if you get these you'll be carrying a lot of fuel around that you don't need so get some shorties if they suit whatever car you have.

It's the C-rating that governs the performance so if you were to go for some, say, 4200mah 65-130C shorties they would give you the same performance as a 6000 with the same C-rating, just less weight and runtime. I want to get some soon!

The charger looks the same as an Imax B6 which has always been good value for money, I know several guys who use them with no problems
Old 10-07-2013
Mad Member

Another vote for the Gen Ace cells.

I've got 4 packs of the 4800 saddles which I share with my son - had them since around January. I run a 7.5T motor in my 2WD and never used more than about 1800mahs out of them on a 5 min run so if you want to use them them for two runs not a problem although we always tend to top them up between runs. At the price I really do not think you can go wrong.

The charger you have picked out is a fairly generic and basic model that is sold under a variety of brand names - I imagine there is a factory somewhere out in the Far East knocking out 1000's of them every week in various colours and logos. I've got one to charge my transmitter batteries (about once a month) and also bought my Dad one to charge his r/c plane batteries and we have both had them for over a year and no problems. It's £20 so its going to go one way or the other - it'll last forever or it will break after 3 weeks and you'll swear and buy a better quality one!! Given its retail price in this country you wonder how much quality control can go into it given it can't cost more than a couple of £ to manufacture??

HTH

Rob
Yokomo YZ4 SF2
Old 11-07-2013

I really like the idea of these shorties, lower weight, easy balancing of car and high C but although they are roar approved they are not brca approved, apparently most clubs allow you to run them but I wanted to check with you guys before buying!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=34366

If not then it would be the gen ace saddles, but does anyone know if they available with a higher C as the ones I linked to are only 25-30 and can't see any with a higher value...
Old 11-07-2013
Mad Member

If you are worried about the legallity of the nanotechs (either due to club rules or wanting to race at higher level) theres a good few shorties listed on here.

(Posted it in your other thread too!)

http://www.brca.org/index.php?q=cont...-updates/14218
Old 11-07-2013

I'm glad you recommended these mattr, these are the ones I want... I'm sold on the benefits of shorties! Let hope TORCH allow them!
Old 11-07-2013

The only rule for club racing at TORCH is that the cells are hard cased.
Old 11-07-2013

Excellent, I'll get on and order some then!
Old 11-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getpip View Post
The only rule for club racing at TORCH is that the cells are hard cased.
Guys you need to understand if your run in a regional you will have to run Brca approved lipo's, we only hold 2 of these a year so not a real issue,

Thanks Steve
Old 12-07-2013

Don't think that's going to be a problem for me just yet Steve, I'm just starting out in my RC driving career so I don't think I'm going to be competing to that level any time soon!