Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Schumacher

Old 03-02-2009

Default Cat Sx Lipo question

Hi guys.
Seriously considering bying a Cat SX. I like the design, seems rigid and one of it most importaint features, its built for Lipo stickpack.

The usage of Lipo stickpacks is the most important feature for me and is one of the reasons I may replace my D4wce for a cat SX.

But...
What is the maximum hight a Lipo-pack can have without gitting in the way for belt & pully?

In pictures shown with Core lipo-pack, witch is 23mm high I belive, it seems like the belt is almoast "resting/touching" the battery pack..

Can someone please clerify this for me

Thanks
Futaba 4PL
GMBK
Norway
Old 03-02-2009

Hi Jensk
You're right - the pulleys are close!
There are other threads that will show the issue clearly but any pack whose overall height INCLUDING cell bumps is more than 24.5mm may have difficulties in clearing the pulley flanges.
LRP and Nosram cells have this problem although some ingenuity can resolve this (by spacing the servo outboard slightly so that the whole pack can be moved inboard further - check out the other thread and photos)

Trakpower 4900s and Core RC 5000 are OK - the belt doesn't appear to flex greatly under load and I've not experienced any witness marks that would suggest and rubbing.
I've used TP3600 packs without any issues at all and in a 5min run, I'm only using about 2000mah with a 5.5T which is plenty powerful enough for my liking.

Gotta just add though that the car is definately lush - and well worth considering.

HTH
Old 03-02-2009

Yup totally agree with the above.

With my TrakPower 4900's it is close to the belt/pulleys but no sign whatsoever of any marks that would suggest it's been rubbing even with my "special" style of driving

So in theory as long as it fits under, you don't need to worry about any flex. So in theory any packs without the bumps should do you fine. (TrakPower ftw though ).
Old 03-02-2009

Thanks guy`s
Good answers.
Also, on the Nosram/ LRP packs the battery plug (bullet/corally style) goes through the pack, so you can mount the pack " upside down". If you do it like this the fake "battery slots" would be facing up and therefore you should have more clerance?
Agree??
Futaba 4PL
GMBK
Norway
Old 03-02-2009

In theory - but not in practice.
That's exactly what I tried and even upside down, the inner most front cell bump fouls on the pulley flange - unless you can move the whole pack further inboard as was posted elsewhere here...
Old 03-02-2009

Ok.
Good to get that cleryfied

Thanks
Futaba 4PL
GMBK
Norway
Old 03-02-2009
Mad Member

My LRP 5300's fit perfect upside down with the bumps between the pulleys. Ace 1015 servo with no spacers.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 04-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
My LRP 5300's fit perfect upside down with the bumps between the pulleys. Ace 1015 servo with no spacers.
On that servo, what horn did you use? With the one supplied with the servo, even with no spacers it was fouling the undertray?
Old 04-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG28 View Post
On that servo, what horn did you use? With the one supplied with the servo, even with no spacers it was fouling the undertray?
Dave, i use that servo with the horn supplied with it. As you can tell dave it's also a bit shorter ! all i did was dremeled the tray a bit and stuck a bit of foam at the front of the undertray to keep the shell out of the way
Old 04-02-2009
Mad Member

Mine doesnt foul the undertray. It clears lovely with the servos own horn. That horn looks loads stronger than kit standard too. I'd like to run a good saver but suspect that would foul. Any ideas? My mate has broken a sanwa and ko servo in the last 2 meetings. Very unlucky.(and off topic,sorry)

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 04-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sime46 View Post
Mine doesnt foul the undertray. It clears lovely with the servos own horn. That horn looks loads stronger than kit standard too. I'd like to run a good saver but suspect that would foul. Any ideas? My mate has broken a sanwa and ko servo in the last 2 meetings. Very unlucky.(and off topic,sorry)
How have you secured it sime ? Here's mine, these horns are so much stronger than the standard ones !!!

Old 04-02-2009

Medium Kimrough servo savers fit a treat!

Cheers

Darryn
Old 04-02-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by stegger View Post
How have you secured it sime ? Here's mine, these horns are so much stronger than the standard ones !!!

Thats how I'd have had to do mine too, I may still end up doing so (hadn't thought of using a pad to push the shell out) as I agree the horn with the servo is very strong!

Sime, hope the X5 was ok by the way, and that you didn't get the Cat because I sold you a dud?? How do you find the two compare, I haven't run the Cat yet (need a battery!) so eager to find out?
Old 05-02-2009
Mad Member

Hi Dave. You wouldn't recognise the X-5 now mate. Its coverted to lipo. Its a proper beast. I think it'll be my weapon of choice come the regionals outside. I bought the X-5 cos I was struggling to find the sweet spot with the Cat and wanted an alternative in case I couldn't crack it. Now I've got the Cat just about sorted so its really easy to drive and very quick(despite the driver). The Cat is defo easier to live with cos it comes apart if you whistle whereas the X-5 is a little more involved. Had some minor drive train issues early on with the X-5 but think its sorted now and it too is very quick and reliable. It is by no means a "dud". I love it. Only prob this end is deciding which one to use. Cat so far cos I was determined to get the hang of setting it up and driving it. The X-5 seems well sorted with its set up. Easy to go very quick with little fuss. Just to confuse matters a little more I am eagerly awaiting the arrivel of my X-6 squared. Can you ever have too many buggies? I think not.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 05-02-2009
Mad Member

Re the servo, mine is very much like in your pics but clears by a mm or two. Its been absolutely mint since fitting this one and the horn seems dead on for throw/travel. Great set up.

PBM Racing 01773 769323
TEAM XRAY
RC DISCO
Old 08-02-2009

just found a very good Lipo retainer in a LHS today...........made of aluminium........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 123 001.jpg (56.4 KB, 49 views)
Old 08-02-2009

Is that actually made for the Cat?
Old 08-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
Is that actually made for the Cat?
this is designed for Xray 008'.......simply drilling two holes on the chassis is not a difficult task I think.......