Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 09-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Default My X5 lipo mounting (and couple sneaky X6 ones)

So I've changed the way I'm mounting the Lipo in my X5, I must admit to totally ripping off Phil Sleigh's design as it was much better than what I came up with initially.

It's simply a peice of Carbon slotted for a strap, then screwed into the back of the chassis at the right height for the cells you're using.

Front end is a battery post drilled in the right position

Couple of self indulgent photos of cars with new SMC lipos in them (4000mah 28C), they are really good so far though only used them a couple of times.

And a couple of X6 for good measure, they are a perfect fit in the new chassis with the new battery straps

Wiring not quite up to ideal standards but with still trying various things in the new car and weight positions I'm not too 'worried'

Just as a disclaimer I should point out I've no idea if these will be BRCA legal this year until the list comes out

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-02-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

will that battery strap on the X6 work with LiPo cells with the corally tubes in them?
Old 09-02-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Yup,

I've seen Trackpwer and LRP/Nosram packs in various team cars/trucks. you have to have the connectors on the pinion side though.

Nortech is ACE!
Old 09-02-2009
Mad Member

Yeppp, I can confirm the new strap fits just fine on LRP/Nosram & Trakpower cells. The connectors just need to be at the "Y" end of the X-Factory wording on the strap.
Old 09-02-2009

That's brilliant. Love the way you've fitted that LIPO to the X5 there.

You know, they say mimicking is the highest form of flattery....I feel you've given me some inspiration to get the dremel out.

Can I just ask though, did you need to dremel the chassis much? It looks like you've removed one of the battery post bosses and the half moon at the back, but that's all it seems.

Also, the side section on the strap that reaches back towards the chassis....does this attach anywhere or is it just touching the side of the belt tunnel?

Finally, regarding the small piece of CF that the strap slides into, how is this attached to the chassis. Are there nuts on the other side of those screws or have you just screwed into the chassis directly?

Very nice work! Hope you don't mind me picking your brains.

Thanks.

Old 09-02-2009
Mad Member

Ok then...

The chassis will require the following items dremelling;
- Rear half moon
- Both original battery mounts bosses
- The rear aerial mount (depending on the size of your LiPo)

If you intend to run your speedo in the two cell area, then you'll need to take out the battery mount bosses on that side too.

On Dan's strap the 'leg' that sticks out towards to the belt tunnel is simply a hang over from the source part he used (B4/T4 strap) so not entirely required. This might actually depend on the make of LiPo, so I'll let Dan confim if it's needed.

The rear slotted section on mine is screwed with two countersunk 4-40 screws into the lowest section on the chassis. I chose those area as it's the thickest section of the mould and I therefore didn't require any nuts that might have fouled the LiPo.

Make sure you use countersunk screws as any other type will foul the wishbone travel, so just double check things as you start your measuring/dremelling.
Old 09-02-2009

Send a message via AIM to Paul_Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
- Rear half moon
You'll probably also have to touch up the rear part of the servo mount bosses.

Very clean install Dan!
Old 10-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by _sleigh_ View Post
Ok then...

- Rear half moon

If you intend to run your speedo in the two cell area, then you'll need to take out the battery mount bosses on that side too.

On Dan's strap the 'leg' that sticks out towards to the belt tunnel is simply a hang over from the source part he used (B4/T4 strap) so not entirely required. This might actually depend on the make of LiPo, so I'll let Dan confim if it's needed.

The rear slotted section on mine is screwed with two countersunk 4-40 screws into the lowest section on the chassis. I chose those area as it's the thickest section of the mould and I therefore didn't require any nuts that might have fouled the LiPo.

Make sure you use countersunk screws as any other type will foul the wishbone travel, so just double check things as you start your measuring/dremelling.
Thank you Phil. Will definitely give this a go.