Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 20-04-2009

Default Charging from the cigarette lighter?

Had my first taste of racing outdoors on the weekend and was wondering if anybody had ever modified the 12v input on their charger to charge from the lighter socket in their car? (mine's a bantam bc6)

Are there adaptors for that? Will save needing to buy a generator or battery....

Last edited by DomRC; 20-04-2009 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Missed a bit
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Unless you have a huge battery in your car then a days racing could well drain it to the point that your car wont start. Believe me i did it to my dad many times
It's also worth pointing out that car batteries arn't designed to be used in this manner.

A leisure battery is your best way forward, you can get a 110amp one for about £40 if you know where to look.
Old 20-04-2009

yeah you really need a leisure battery, you can get away with charging a couple of 7.2v packs but otherwise be ready to bump start your car seen it happen many a time

Old 20-04-2009
Mad Member

Send a message via MSN to markwilliamson2001

Other option is of course a generator, but the cheap ones are generally very noisy and smelly!
HTH
Mark
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The biggest problem with a geni is it's a continuous cost. Unless you want to run a laptop and lighting then i wouldn't bother. I only take mine to nationals.
Old 20-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossCat_Works View Post
yeah you really need a leisure battery, you can get away with charging a couple of 7.2v packs but otherwise be ready to bump start your car seen it happen many a time
Indeed... And remember that LeadAcid=realCar car batteries suffer when going flat. They are not designed for that.

Alternative is
==========
1) to get 2 or 3 old car batteries in your boot & charge off that. 1 fully charged real car battery is roughly 50AmpHour, so you should be able to do 10 Lipo charges with it before you reach the bottom 30% of the LeadAcid. (1 lipo charge=5Ah at 8V, so with modern chargers ~3Ah off the 12V LeadAcid battery).

2) charge off the cigarette lighter but do run the engine every so often to keep you car battery charged
Old 20-04-2009

Ok cheers guys.. Next questions would be:

1) where would you recommend I find a good deal?

2) how do the plugs on the bantam attach to the battery? Do you need adaptors/clips or do they just plug in?

Cheers
Old 20-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

trouble is most modern cars the cig lighter is only live with ignition on, and there not designed to power such as the chargers, best be is a 12 volt leisure battery from a caraven centre

just unplug the mains cable and plug the red croc clip to positive and black to negative
Old 20-04-2009
Lee-Mag

I also doubt the wiring would be able to cope with the constant current draw, i may be wrong but it would concern me, having said that i have driven to a race meeting with my charger lead out the door and under the bonnet and connected to the 12 v and a pack of nicads charging away on the dash

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 20-04-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
I also doubt the wiring would be able to cope with the constant current draw, i may be wrong but it would concern me, having said that i have driven to a race meeting with my charger lead out the door and under the bonnet and connected to the 12 v and a pack of nicads charging away on the dash
think ford are rated 15 to 20 amps fuse dependent on car
Old 20-04-2009
Lee-Mag

Mine are just whatever i have left in the spare section

SUPER SEED

I am getting my own oOple blog !!!

Paint by www.Mikovic.com
Old 20-04-2009

car fuse and wiring should not be an issue

5A 8V charge is 3.5A 12V on the cigarette lighter. I often travel long journey with a 240V inverter attached to the cigarette lighter for my laptop (it's 100W consumed so twice as much as a lipo charger)
Old 20-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Plus start your car and run it for a few mins a couple of times during the day and you won't run your battery flat.

The car battery still won't like it though long term, so leisure battery is best!
Old 23-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb View Post
1 fully charged real car battery is roughly 50AmpHour, so you should be able to do 10 Lipo charges with it before you reach the bottom 30% of the LeadAcid. (1 lipo charge=5Ah at 8V, so with modern chargers ~3Ah off the 12V LeadAcid battery)
Just to clarify, do you always use 5ah with one lipo charge or does it depend on whether its a full charge or just a top up? 110ah batteries that I've seen are more than the £40 that Southwell suggested (unless I'm looking in the wrong place), so I'm wondering if an 85ah would last me a long time instead....
Old 23-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRC View Post
Just to clarify, do you always use 5ah with one lipo charge or does it depend on whether its a full charge or just a top up? 110ah batteries that I've seen are more than the £40 that Southwell suggested (unless I'm looking in the wrong place), so I'm wondering if an 85ah would last me a long time instead....
I always charge at 4.2a with my lipos, no matter what. My 110a battery was more like £80 but ive heard of many people who got them around £40.
Old 23-04-2009

Yes you can charge thorough the cigarette lighter but you have to keep an eye out on the car battery or just start the car every now & then and let it idle charging up/ toping up the battery
Old 23-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
I always charge at 4.2a with my lipos, no matter what
I'll be charging off the battery at 5.0a for mine. My question is though, does the number of charges you get out of a leisure battery not depend on the length of each charge? How can people say exactly how many charges you'll get out of a 110ah battery?

Sorry if i'm being a bit dumb here
Old 23-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I used to die after 1 and 3/4 days of charging at nationals on a 75ah battery at 5 amp. I would only go 110ah if you plan on doing more than one day.
Old 23-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwell View Post
I used to die after 1 and 3/4 days of charging at nationals on a 75ah battery at 5 amp. I would only go 110ah if you plan on doing more than one day.
Ok so I'm likely to be doing a day of racing a month on average (regionals and practice/club meets)...so a lower ah should be fine.

And to charge the battery back up again it just plugs into the mains?
Old 23-04-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomRC View Post
Ok so I'm likely to be doing a day of racing a month on average (regionals and practice/club meets)...so a lower ah should be fine.

And to charge the battery back up again it just plugs into the mains?
Yeah, get a decent mains charger. Remember to unplug it from the mains before you disconnect from the battery or you could short it out and get bits of plastic and acid in your face.