Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 08-09-2009

Default Buying A Lipo Charger

Guys, im new to all this Lipo stuff and im gradually coming to terms with it.

However, if im going to be going Lipo then I need a decent charger with balancer to keep them at their best.

Im looking at the Trakpower charger and balancer as it is probable I will be purchasing the new Trakpower Lipo's when released, but can anyone offer any other options on the charger/balancer front from experience.

Any info or links to products (if allowed?) would be great so I can do a bit of researchy...

Cheers,

Matt
Old 08-09-2009
Spends too long on oOple ...

ORI30126 Team Orion Advantage Clubman LiPo Charger for £40, comes with balance leads. 12v supply needed
CFR RCTV Channel
Glenn Atterton

BRCA 2005 1/10th Off-Road Veterans Champion
LMP12 National Champion 2003/2004 / F3 class
Old 08-09-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Core-RC are just releasing the new UDC30 which has in built balancer and comes with loads of cables for most makes of battery. You can also buy the optional power adapter for it to run it from 240v if needed at about £17. The charger itself is around £60.

The current king of the Lipo balancing world is the Bantam BC6 due to its 12v and 240v capability in one small box. However that is £100+.

The Core option is slightly cheaper. The trakpower charger and balancer are ok, but you will have 2 seperate units and together will cost over £60.

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 08-09-2009
Mad Member

The Bantam BC6-10 is a really good piece of kit and easy to use.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ancing-Charger
Old 08-09-2009

It depends if you want to make use of over 1C charging or not. What those before me have suggested work fine for 1C charging.

However, if you wish to charge at 2C (1/2 hour charge times from flat), or more, you'll need to go 12V only, as chargers with built-in power supplies have low power capabilities. E.G. The UDC30 only has a 50W maximum power output and a 5A maximum charge rate.

Something like a Hyperion 720i has a maximum power output of 250W, and a maximum charge rate of 20A. This means that you could charge one of those new Trakpower Dark series packs (say the 5000mAh 40C one) at 5C to fully charge it from flat in 12 minutes.

It also has in-built balancing, but is better than the Core-RC charger in that it can utilise different balance boards.

The Core-RC charger has a balance board suitable for JST-XH plugs, whilst the Trakpowers traditionally use TP plugs, though JST-XH leads are available.

The Hyperion charger isn't that expensive, considering its capabilities, though bear in mind, if you haven't already got a power supply, you will need one for 230V use.

An option that is more widely available in the UK, is the Fusion range, from Logic RC. These chargers range from a £60 12V and 230V input, 40W charger, to a £125 12V only, 180W charger. I use two of the Paladins, and I have to say, they really are excellent, and very easy to use. You can also charge more than one pack at a time (as you can with any charger that can do 4S or more), but I needed it for 5S packs.
Old 05-10-2009

I have been looking at the Core RC and Bantam chargers myself. I've got a Pro Peak mains supply and a leisure battery for at the track. I'm thinking of getting rid of the Pro Peak mains PSU as I can't really see a need for it. It's just nice to charge at home without have to get the 12v battery out.

The main reason I'm wanting to look at a new charger is for the balancing quality as my current charge I don't think balances very well.
Old 05-10-2009
Lion-O - King of the Thundercats

Send a message via MSN to bigred5765 Send a message via Skype™ to bigred5765

core rc udc 30, is probably the best, and simplest i have ever used
Old 05-10-2009

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-bat...e-p-29459.html

Take a look a the one at the link. This is what I bought and so far so good. It's only $40
Old 05-10-2009

Whats the Imax B6 LiPre Balance Charger like? does anyone have 1? They seem to be on ebay alot from the far east
Old 05-10-2009
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

The Imax is the Core UDC-20. Well its the same basic circuit board, processor, LCD etc in a different case.
As is typical with electrical items this is quite common, and keen eyes will have spotted that there are quite a few chargers with very similar capabilities, built in JST-XH balancing and a blue LCD panel - all based off essentially the same circuit board.

That said I'd pay the extra for the Core since it comes with all the leads, and with decent backup.

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 05-10-2009

I have bias regarding chargers(work closely with a good brand!),
but I will say one thing. if you do get a "cheep" charger, be very careful about what the voltage of the cells are when you take them off charge.
I've seen problem with people have spent sensible amount of money on race packs to charge them with a "$30" charger from china/ebay and ruin the packs when they just kept charging.
the problem with these chargers is that some are good, some are bad, some are really ugly (and could cause serious damage) and the problem is finding out which ones are consistently good.
Old 05-10-2009
#1 ZX5 fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac View Post
I have bias regarding chargers(work closely with a good brand!),
but I will say one thing. if you do get a "cheep" charger, be very careful about what the voltage of the cells are when you take them off charge.
I've seen problem with people have spent sensible amount of money on race packs to charge them with a "$30" charger from china/ebay and ruin the packs when they just kept charging.
the problem with these chargers is that some are good, some are bad, some are really ugly (and could cause serious damage) and the problem is finding out which ones are consistently good.
+1 for sure!

Nortech is ACE!
Old 05-10-2009
Supah doOpah

Send a message via MSN to PaulRotheram

very good advice seen here!
i too am looking at ventureing to the lipo side on my return to racing!
does anyone know if the trakpower charger can be used both on 12v and power supplies?
Old 05-10-2009

the Trakpower Pit Pro can take 11-18v dc input
Old 17-10-2009

I'm interested in the new Core RC charger looks good.
Old 17-10-2009

Ive got an LRP quadra pro its a really good charger and only cost £80