Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 27-05-2007

Default Batteries dying! Please help!

Hello guyz. I need some help about batteries. My batt packs do not charge up to the full amount any more. Can only get 2700mah for my GP3300. And i have 6 packs and all of them are the same. All my packs are GP batteries and they are suppose to be robust right? Got this info from my hobby shop. I have these not more than a year but i dont used them weekly. Twice or once a month only. I discharge them using Spintec batt. manager and charge them using Novak Millenium pro. When not using i will half charge and store them. So is there anything wrong with these steps or are there better steps to maintain batteries? And is there any way that i can get back those batts fully charged again? Btw i tried slow charging 1 pack using 0.5v but it gets worse. Only 2000mah. Any one ideas? Thanks
Old 28-05-2007
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodom View Post
Hello guyz. I need some help about batteries. My batt packs do not charge up to the full amount any more. Can only get 2700mah for my GP3300. And i have 6 packs and all of them are the same. All my packs are GP batteries and they are suppose to be robust right? Got this info from my hobby shop. I have these not more than a year but i dont used them weekly. Twice or once a month only. I discharge them using Spintec batt. manager and charge them using Novak Millenium pro. When not using i will half charge and store them. So is there anything wrong with these steps or are there better steps to maintain batteries? And is there any way that i can get back those batts fully charged again? Btw i tried slow charging 1 pack using 0.5v but it gets worse. Only 2000mah. Any one ideas? Thanks
are they old
Old 28-05-2007

not sure about the spintec battery managers functions(wether its just discharge or if it does contain an equalizer( and no not edward woodward)) but have you eqaulized the sets at all.
Old 28-05-2007
Spends too long on oOple ...

Send a message via MSN to mark christopher

what are you discharging them to? they need to be totally flat, if they perform ok ignore the readings
Old 28-05-2007
Mad Member

Stick a meter on them after they are charged. Post up what the results are. Its the voltage in the pack thats important, not what the charger says it has put into the pack.

My new Ep4200 cells typically quote on the charger putting in around 4000 however i always stop early as it prolongs the life.

My charge method always includes discharging before charging and equalising on a smart tray. This will gain the maximum readout on a charger, but the voltage would still be high regardless.

TBH max voltage is not always necessarily required. On 4wd running brushless i can get away with running a final on 8.5v, (cells will happily go to 9v if i want to ) after running i can still achieve 8v still left in the pack.

Hope this helps.

Col.
Old 28-05-2007

just to simplfy this tread
a normal battery even though stated @ 3300mah will not take that amount under normal charging circumstances as it will always have a small charge in it
normal discharge takes the cells down to 5.4v ( 0.9v per cell)
equalizing a set takes the voltage down to approx 4.8v ~(0.6v per cell )~ the product i use i this one http://www.nosram.com/products.asp?id=57 its cheap simple and effective .once equalizing is done then a battery is possible to take the stated amount if not more. i charge my 3300/3700 on a sirius @ 4amps 25mv detect. discharge @ 25a ( 5.4v cut off) after each days racing and leave them at that cut off before charging them the day before racing & repeak at track and once a month or maybe a bit more depending on use i equalize them .#
im not the most experienced so i may get flamed but it is how i was taught and works for me ...
Old 28-05-2007
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Southwell

Are you sure? My discharger leaves 500mah in mine so you should equalise them to get rid of the rest.