Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 29-01-2010

Default Can vintage keep up with a modern car?

I have been running my XX at south lakes for a couple of years and I have had some good results but I was wondering if I should upgrade to maybe the new Cougar or an RB5. Not keen on the B4 as everyone has one.

My question is, if I could set my XX up correctly will I be able to compete and win against younger cars or should I ditch the vintage machine and spend lots of wad? Would I be wasting my money?

I think it can compete, especially with a good driver. Does anyone else run a vintage car with more modern machines?

Old 29-01-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

I seem to be remarkably successful in trucks (a minority class admittedly, but with a reasonable local following) campaigning a near 20 year old original RC10T against its own more modern ancestors like the T4 and SC10. At several Bury rounds people have commented that my ancient truck looks more planted than the newer ones, and I too am sure that my skills at the wheel are more a limit than the age of my truck!

Yz4 - Yz2
DEX210 - Cobra 4210- DEX410
RC10 Team - Manta Ray -
RC10T
Mini Trophy - Blizzard - Wheely King
Tz4 - GT24B

BMRCC
Emergency back-up race controller
(but only if nobody better is available)
Old 29-01-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I have been running my XX at south lakes for a couple of years and I have had some good results but I was wondering if I should upgrade to maybe the new Cougar or an RB5. Not keen on the B4 as everyone has one.

My question is, if I could set my XX up correctly will I be able to compete and win against younger cars or should I ditch the vintage machine and spend lots of wad? Would I be wasting my money?

I think it can compete, especially with a good driver. Does anyone else run a vintage car with more modern machines?
Definately as we have a few XXCRs running at our club and they beat the modern stuff.

XXCR Kinwald has the track record at our club for 2WD

Awesome car. The difference I have found myself is you can be more aggressive with the B4 and get away with it.

I have a B4 and XXCR and I enjoy the XXCR more than the B4 and it also beats new kit.

PM SteveB on here for my XX info
Old 31-01-2010

I still race my 6-gear gold tub rc10 at EPR and around the south east. The same car I raced when I was a teenager in California in the '80s...

Now to be honest, I'm certianly not winning too many races - but not coming in last either..

for 4wd, I run a modern car (b44), and still come in similarly in the standings - so if you take my driving skills out of the equation - the car doesn't seem to be too too much of a handicap..

I think it's got a whole lot to do with the driver, yet there's no doubt that a modern car could be much faster than the 10 - esp w/ the 6 gear. but hey - I love it nonetheless...

Cheers,
Ty
Old 31-01-2010

running vintage has both some advantages and disadvantages over the modern buggies. i run both vintage and modern. depending how old the vintage buggy is you make have to figure out some things to swap on it to help make it more competitive.

on the track you will notice that different areas a vintage buggy will be faster yet other areas it will be slower. now as a driver you should be able to make it work so you can run equal lap times with the modern guys.

the biggest downside is parts. be sure you carry every possible spare that you can because the track most likely wont have what you need if you break it.

the best part is the look on the other racers faces when you beat them driving an antique.
Old 31-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymill View Post
I still race my 6-gear gold tub rc10 at EPR and around the south east. The same car I raced when I was a teenager in California in the '80s...

Now to be honest, I'm certianly not winning too many races - but not coming in last either..

for 4wd, I run a modern car (b44), and still come in similarly in the standings - so if you take my driving skills out of the equation - the car doesn't seem to be too too much of a handicap..

I think it's got a whole lot to do with the driver, yet there's no doubt that a modern car could be much faster than the 10 - esp w/ the 6 gear. but hey - I love it nonetheless...

Cheers,
Ty
Sounds like a trip to EPR with a XX

Come down to Titchfield as Steve loves his vintage Associated and Losi
Old 31-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowClassCC View Post
running vintage has both some advantages and disadvantages over the modern buggies. i run both vintage and modern. depending how old the vintage buggy is you make have to figure out some things to swap on it to help make it more competitive.

on the track you will notice that different areas a vintage buggy will be faster yet other areas it will be slower. now as a driver you should be able to make it work so you can run equal lap times with the modern guys.

the biggest downside is parts. be sure you carry every possible spare that you can because the track most likely wont have what you need if you break it.

the best part is the look on the other racers faces when you beat them driving an antique.
You have hit the nail on the head as your comments are spot on.

My vintage was excellent on very low grip surfaces and never lost a club race but on high grip i had to redesign to try at least to get it on a level playing field. The problems are as said getting parts, and in my case as the car is one of a very few ive had to get spares made up. I also found at the petit i broke my car in four races but was going at the same pace as the rest in my heat until it broke so just a bit of work can make a difference.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 31-01-2010
Mad Member

Funnily enough, I have just bought two procats to test the theory!!

Procat No1 - £10.00 bargain from ebay as a parts donor... Complete minus a shell & wing..

Procat No2 - £45.95 from ebay, with loads of spares and in very good nick!!

Will be running modern electrics/cells so should be more or less as quick as the majority, cant wait to see how it goes!!!
Old 01-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by x313 View Post
Funnily enough, I have just bought two procats to test the theory!!

Procat No1 - £10.00 bargain from ebay as a parts donor... Complete minus a shell & wing..

Procat No2 - £45.95 from ebay, with loads of spares and in very good nick!!

Will be running modern electrics/cells so should be more or less as quick as the majority, cant wait to see how it goes!!!
Cool - same here, i've got an RC10 I am re-building, hoping to fit modern brushless & LiPo & give it a go against the B4s etc. Funny as the last time I raced Off road was about ten years ago, with what was then a new Losi XXX, this is virtually still the current Losi 2wd car, yet back then I prefered my old XX that i'd just sold over the new car.... so i'm not suprised the Double X can still cut the mustard.

By the way X313 - I see you are in Northants - where abouts are you intending to race your Procat/s?
Old 01-02-2010
Super Moderator

Yes

I ran an ali tub RC10 at a York indoor regional with lipo/brushless and qualified 3rd and finished 3rd beating an AE team driver with his B4 and other quick guys

Also ran the ProCat with 10 double and ran competativly in A finals at York club meetings

G
Old 01-02-2010
Mad Member

Depending on the weather and how well it goes, might give it a try at the mini MAM event on the 14th Feb at Cov, I havent raced one since 1990 so cant wait to give it a try, plus there are some retro heats at Hinckley in the summer months, so will probably take it over there too...

Just wish I still had my old Cat xls too.. they were the days...
Old 02-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
I ran an ali tub RC10 at a York indoor regional with lipo/brushless and qualified 3rd and finished 3rd beating an AE team driver with his B4 and other quick guys
Awesome.
Old 05-02-2010

I don't find spares much of an issue. I have loads and you can always pick them up on e-bay. Having said that I have problems finding smaller spur gears.

One thing I have noticed. The car under steers on the power. Getting out of the bends as fast as a B4 is tricky. If you go in slower you get monstered from behind and taken out. Not sure how I can dial it out. I want to be able to get the back out under power without it spinning but I haven't yet found a set-up that will do that for me.

Old 05-02-2010
BANNED

I put my XX 10th in round at Worksop last winter, last time it turned a wheel.

That was with a period M-tronics 900VHF ESC, Reedy Sonic motor and old cells.

In the hands of a top driver it's not inconceiveable that a XX could not make a national 'A'.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 05-02-2010
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
........One thing I have noticed. The car under steers on the power. .......
Maximum front droop & extra lead up front.
Tune it from there.
SP12/RC10/XLS/JRX-2/XX/XXCR/XXCR-KE/XXX/XXXBK2/CR2/Xpro/B4/XX4/XXX4/X5/X11/DEX410/DEX210/DNX408/8ight/VW Golf GTI MK2/VW Golf TDI Wagon/Ovlov V70 D5/VW Beetle II (registered to Carrie)/Bailey Ranger/(does anyone read this bullshit?)/Creda Tumble2/HotPoint FE800/BOSCH SGS45C02GB/Dyson DC04/new patio doors & windows/freshly painted bannister rail & skirting boards, baby.
Old 05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I put my XX 10th in round at Worksop last winter, last time it turned a wheel.

That was with a period M-tronics 900VHF ESC, Reedy Sonic motor and old cells.

In the hands of a top driver it's not inconceiveable that a XX could not make a national 'A'.
Awesome. Still got it and running it?
Old 05-02-2010
BANNED

Yeah, sure have. I have a XX, a XXCR and a XXCR-KE, all ready to go.
Maybe at the next Bury indoor meet?
Old 05-02-2010
Super Moderator

I'm gonna get the RC10 tub running again - it's a weapon

G
Old 05-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy View Post
I'm gonna get the RC10 tub running again - it's a weapon

G
Only cause they are built like tanks with the front end!
Old 05-02-2010
BANNED

Just been looking for some photos from when we were running the vintage stuff a few years back, can't find anything online any longer - I'll put some back up tomorrow.