Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 21-03-2010

Default Front One-Way's

Can some one give me a simpletons explanation of the use and benfits of front one-way bearings as opposed to the traditional ball diffs. How does it improve handling, durability, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Old 21-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Corgi View Post
Can some one give me a simpletons explanation of the use and benfits of front one-way bearings as opposed to the traditional ball diffs. How does it improve handling, durability, etc.
Thanks in advance.
Well it doesn't necessarily improve handling, but it does change it considerably. The effect is that of a 2WD when your off-power, and a front spool on-power. This means you have amazingly fast turn-in speed, but the use of brakes is severely limited since the only slow the rear wheels.

I've only used a front one-way in on-road, and I found it very difficult to defend my position while driving. I was limited to a very specific line, while everyone with front diffs or spools could hug the inside. This means they could easily dive in and knock me out of the turn. I don't know if people can get away with that driving open-wheel cars in off road though...
Old 21-03-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

I find having a one way give more speed in and out of corners and suits my style of driving where i like major steering.

I found my lap times were quicker with and easier to drive with the one way.
Answer UK team driver
Designer of the Lazer ZX/ZXR carbon fibre tub chassis
Designer of the Lazer ZXRS
Old 22-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Corgi View Post
Thanks in advance.
A one way's main purpose is to give you more front wheel traction through a turn. It does this be ensuring that both of your front tires can "free wheel" in a forward direction only.

-----
Example: let's say you are making a hard right turn... The outer wheel will naturally want to rotate more since it has more ground to cover than your inside wheel.. The more time your wheels stay planted to the track, the better traction you have..

A standard 4WD diff tries to rotate both front wheels at the same constant speed causing the outer wheel to slip a little every time you make a turn. Some traction is always lost when this happens.

A one way can 'free wheel' your front wheels allowing the outer wheel to rotate at a different speed than your inside wheel when you make a turn (same as a 2WD car). This means more traction every time you make a turn and a little better chance to make faster turns that the other racers.
-----

It's nice to have once you get used to using one. The Front One-Way is specifically for indoor higher traction surfaces where your wheels will stay in contact with the track most of the time.

The Center One-Way is specifically for off-road tracks where the front differential action is still required to maintain grip over bumpy and loose surfaces.

Hope this helps.
Old 22-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimblum View Post
A one way's main purpose is to give you more front wheel traction through a turn. It does this be ensuring that both of your front tires can "free wheel" in a forward direction only.

-----
Example: let's say you are making a hard right turn... The outer wheel will naturally want to rotate more since it has more ground to cover than your inside wheel.. The more time your wheels stay planted to the track, the better traction you have..

A standard 4WD diff tries to rotate both front wheels at the same constant speed causing the outer wheel to slip a little every time you make a turn. Some traction is always lost when this happens.

A one way can 'free wheel' your front wheels allowing the outer wheel to rotate at a different speed than your inside wheel when you make a turn (same as a 2WD car). This means more traction every time you make a turn and a little better chance to make faster turns that the other racers.
-----

It's nice to have once you get used to using one. The Front One-Way is specifically for indoor higher traction surfaces where your wheels will stay in contact with the track most of the time.

The Center One-Way is specifically for off-road tracks where the front differential action is still required to maintain grip over bumpy and loose surfaces.

Hope this helps.
That is just wrong. You have it completely the wrong way round. The whole point of a diff is that it is there to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds (hence the name differential) so that there is no slip between inner and outer wheels. This is one of the disadvantages of front oneways replacing diffs (centre one ways allow you to keep the diff operation at the front).

What a one way gives you is more turn in by removing the breaking on the front wheels. The wheels can only provide so much traction or grip. In permanent 4WD the front wheels have to brake and turn. With a one way all that grip can be used for more turn. However your breaking is much reduced.

James
Old 23-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piman View Post
That is just wrong. You have it completely the wrong way round. The whole point of a diff is that it is there to allow the wheels to rotate at different speeds (hence the name differential) so that there is no slip between inner and outer wheels. This is one of the disadvantages of front oneways replacing diffs (centre one ways allow you to keep the diff operation at the front).

What a one way gives you is more turn in by removing the breaking on the front wheels. The wheels can only provide so much traction or grip. In permanent 4WD the front wheels have to brake and turn. With a one way all that grip can be used for more turn. However your breaking is much reduced.

James
sorry, you're wrong, the diff, whilst the intension is to allow the wheels to move at differing speed around a corner, is not perfect, the diff has a natural resistance to spinning the wheels at differing speeds which causes some slip of the tires on the surface

off power, front one-ways allow both front wheels to spin completely indepentantly of eachother at whatever speed they need to, as correctly stated, into a corner, the front wheels free wheel like a 2wd, then as the power is applied, the front one way acts like a spool

you're right about one ways giving you more steering because of the free wheeling nature, but its a combination of the braking and the diff resistance, which is why a centre one-way is seen as an in-between option, though thinking about it now, i personally cant see any benefit in running a centre oneway, u lose your braking, and u wouldnt gain much in the turns, but thats for my driving style, i use a lot of drag brake, and i dont ever use front one-ways
Old 23-03-2010

A properly adjusted diff will have no problem with the speed differential for the wheels. If it did not then there would be no point to it. Your statement that ‘A standard 4WD diff tries to rotate both front wheels at the same constant speed causing the outer wheel to slip a little every time you make a turn.’ is wrong.

As you say the one way can only freewheel when there is no power through the wheels so only has a differential effect going into the corner. You loose this completely powering out when the need for it becomes more critical.

James
Old 23-03-2010

Like I was saying.....2WD off power, and 4WD w/ front-spool on power...
Old 24-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piman View Post
A properly adjusted diff will have no problem with the speed differential for the wheels. If it did not then there would be no point to it. Your statement that ‘A standard 4WD diff tries to rotate both front wheels at the same constant speed causing the outer wheel to slip a little every time you make a turn.’ is wrong.

James
well we'll have to agree to disagree, i think theres going to be some resistance from the diff, im not saying its a big amount of resistance but it has to be there, if you were right then the there should be no difference on the turn in effect of a front one way and a centre one way. whether its the diff or the braking causing the front end to not turn in as well as a one way, i'll never sacrifice the braking. the device i did like was the losi clicker in the xx4, that allowed you to dial in the amount of free wheeling on the front depending on how much front braking u needed for the track