Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > 1/18th & Micro stuff

Old 28-03-2010

Default Aluminium Chassis on RC18T

Hi, just wondered what you RC18 boys felt about the ali chassis? There was one on the used RC18T I just bought, though doesn't look as if its been driven yet with the chassis in place as there isn't a mark on it - looks brand new. Not sure what make it is, don't think its Trinity or GPM, any ideas - photo attached?

What I'm keen to know is if there's any real advantage to running one, or if I should just use the original plastic one which also came with it when I come to rebuild it??? I won't be racing, just bashing.

I've heard that because of the extra rigidity it doesn't fair so well in a big crash? All the suspension arms are still standard plastic. It looks OK, but I'm not a big bling fan, so keep it or sell it on the bay

Cheers
BB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ali Chassis (Large).jpg (48.0 KB, 21 views)
Old 28-03-2010

hi bertberr,it is a fasttrak chassis.if ur just car park bashing stick with the plastic chassis,as the ali ones tend to bend.(trust me)if ur a crap driver like me get a carbon fibre 1 like me,strong,light and hard to bend.(trust me)
Old 28-03-2010

Ok haven't heard of Fastrak chassis, will give it a few runs then make a decision... only thing that bothers me with the standard plastic one is how flexible it is - holding it in both hands at either end I can literally twist it without having to really try... Oh well, probably helps in a smash
Old 06-04-2010
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertberr View Post
Ok haven't heard of Fastrak chassis, will give it a few runs then make a decision... only thing that bothers me with the standard plastic one is how flexible it is - holding it in both hands at either end I can literally twist it without having to really try... Oh well, probably helps in a smash
Those came out years ago when the RC18 series first hit the market, but I haven't seen one myself in years.

I think that you'll find.... as espana suggested, that aluminum has a tendancy to bend (twist, etc) and not return to its original form, and especially for chassis plates that medium is prefered by guys building shelf queens/bling kings (something to sit there and look good), and is not of much use if your plan is to run it - while racers prefer carbon fiber (because of it's strength and light weight), and bashers have the best luck with the stock plastic bits (that can flex like a pretzel and return to their original shape) and take repeated beatings and are CHEAP to replace.