Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 21-07-2010

Default Apple's Exchange Rate

Hey guys,

So the exchange rate according to Google is 1 US Dollar equals .6602 British Pounds.

An Apple iPod Touch costs $199 in the US and £159 in the UK. Seem reasonable? Not really. You pay more for an iPod in the UK than in the US.

The Real exchange rate=(Nominal exchange rate*domestic price)/Foreign price

In my case this is (.6602*199)/159=.8643. So if you buy an iPod from the apple store in Britain you are essentially over paying by $67 or £44.65.

Apple's making a killing on every iPod sold in the UK...

Jon
Old 21-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

have you only just realised that? Apple products have been over priced for years. That's the price you pay for style over substance!

Ansmann Racing UK

RIP - MicroTech Racing

Trader Feedback
Old 21-07-2010
Mad Member

AFAIK prices on the US site don't include tax where as the prices on the UK one does so the difference isn't as big as it 1st appears.

Apple is making more money that they have ever done before, every new product they launch creates massive interest and sells out instantly. I can't see them lowering their prices ay time soon.
Old 21-07-2010

Yep sales tax is not shown. Although, apple stuff is overpriced for what it is. Apparently, each iPhone 4 costs $99 to make.
Old 21-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

people who want apple stuff pay for apple stuff. I personally love everything the company does. I'll be buying an iphone 4 in a few months.

my nan's house cost £1000 to build and she sold it for £160000. What an item costs to make is neither here nor there. business is business.

p.s typed on a 2010 macbook pro
Old 21-07-2010
Mad Member

The US price excludes sales tax (VAT). Sales tax is local, and IME varies from 3% to 8%. Only very few states (eg New Jersey) levy that tax on ANY purchase, including those from out of state.

The US price at your rate of exchange when adjusted for 7% import duty (best number I can find for electrical goods, open to a challenge on that rate!!) and then VAT on top of that (yes, another tax on a tax that we enjoy over here!!) puts the total price at £165, compared to the UK price you quote of £159, which will include both Duty and VAT.

It is nothing like a simplistic as that, but it follows two immutable Laws of business:

Profit = Sales Price - Cost. If you can charge more, you make more profit. Apple can charge more, so they do. The American market will stand $199, the UK market will stand £159 and they can sell every one that they make. If it were your business would you sell your product or service for less than you could get? Neither would I...

Brand is worth more profit than functionality. Why are Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Renault, Nissan... in fact every car manufacturer except VW Group, BMW and Mercedes struggling to make money? Because VW, BMW and Merc can charge premiums of 20% to 30% over the others for the privilege of having their badge on the bonnet of what is (as people like to describe Apple) an inferior product.

Welcome to the real world, where people like to make money. If you don't want them to, don't be a fashion victim!! For balance, I have an iPhone, Mac and iPod, but drive a Volvo because it is based on the Ford Focus/C Max (the most reliable car in Germany and the UK!) and cost £500 less than the same spec of Ford Focus!! I'm happy to be a victim of Apple 'fashion' and functionality, but not BMW blandness and austerity!!
Old 21-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
p.s typed on a 2010 macbook pro
Jealous...

(Typed on my 6 year-old Powerbook G4!! )
Old 21-07-2010

It's all about the brand.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg

www.wbmcc.com
Old 21-07-2010
Mad Member

Christ it looks like ive posted something that's actually right

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowOne View Post
Jealous...

(Typed on my 6 year-old Powerbook G4!! )
Quoted on my iPad
Old 21-07-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Send a message via MSN to Big G Send a message via Skype™ to Big G

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdale11 View Post

I love it!

it grants 3 wishes even if 1 of those wishes is for an iphone
Old 21-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdale11 View Post

That's so spot on with general consumers
Old 22-07-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopers View Post
That's so spot on with general consumers

Indeed....me included I can upgrade next month so I have been looking at all phones BUT my eye always goes back to the iphone4 even though they are having problems with the signal!

www.wbmcc.com
Old 22-07-2010
Administrator

I thought on itunes the lowest paid price point for an 'app' was 59p in the UK - and in the USA 99 cents? but 59p is 89cents meaning apple are doing us a favour in the UK by artificially making things cheaper for us.

And I can confirm the iphone4 is the best thing ever.
Old 22-07-2010

THe iPhone is not the best thing ever, but this isn't the thread for that argument (plus I would never win against the Fanbois).

Isn't it 59p to allow for the exchange rate to change? sometimes they make money, sometimes they loose on iTunes?
Old 22-07-2010
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadeh View Post
THe iPhone is not the best thing ever, but this isn't the thread for that argument (plus I would never win against the Fanbois).

Isn't it 59p to allow for the exchange rate to change? sometimes they make money, sometimes they loose on iTunes?
They always make money, as they hedge their exchange rates. It just means that sometimes we think we are getting something cheaper than the Yanks, and sometimes we moan!!
Old 22-07-2010
Administrator

I think the argument was originally about the price being cheaper in the USA - but in the case of itunes, it's not. simples!
Hard to set prices in each country when exchange rates fluctuate all the time and keep it fair, but you can't have it both ways that Apple sucks and is ripping us off.
2/3 of the cost of software goes to developers - and they set the price not apple.

Other than making games for the Iphone I've no experience of apple stuff or interest in their company - far from a fanboy, but sadly the products speak for themselves. There's only one thing as blind as a fanboy and that's an anti-fanboy.
That Ipad thing is simply amazing piece of kit (we've a couple at work) - if it were 150 quid I'd not hesitate to get one. Awesome, there's nothing out there like it, not even a patch! 500 quid? haha, you're having a laugh!

iphone4 still best thing ever tho.
Old 23-07-2010

Its not the best thing ever
Old 23-07-2010
Mad Member

I do like apple stuff (except iPad (just buy a magnifying glass!)), but its overpriced for me to buy it!

I've recently got a HTC Desire which runs on Android, faster than an iPhone, cheaper and I'm not tied down to iTunes! Apple stuff is just a fashion gimmick these days! I laughed at my friend who just got an iPhone4 on O2, paying £40 a month for same package as me (I should pay £35 a month but also get unlimited web) but paid £89 for the phone too!!!!!! So over the 18months that's an extra £179! Is the iPhone £179 quid better.... no!
Old 23-07-2010
Mad Member

Since 1987 I've had three computers at home. Every one of them was an over-priced Apple, but in total they have cost be a tad shy of £6k. That's £260 a year, including software upgrades and (one) hardware upgrade. Add up all the PCs you've bought in the last 23 years, the software and the hardware upgrades and tell me you've spent less.

Oh, and I've never, ever had the Mac freeze on me, or crash more than a handful of times, nor ever had a virus or a worm. They might be fashionable, but I buy them because they work... and they work and they work and work...

As someone not a million miles from Steve jobs office once said, I have nothing against any other computer company, but I don't like buying second-rate products. I don't mind PCs, I use them at work and for my RC speedo. But when I have to rely on a connection to the outside world through the internet, or accessing my songs, pictures and documents, I rely on a Mac. Your mileage may vary...
Old 24-07-2010
Mad Member

I agree about MAC's, they are better than pc's, but its just the Iphone which is overpriced.