Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > Tamiya

Old 04-04-2011

Default TRF 201 Gearbox noise

Hi All,
Just getting back into racing after well over a decade and Ive just built my new TRF201.. (Well rebuilt really, because i bought it new and built.. not that i dont trust the skills of the original builder)

Ive hooked my beautifully cheap EZrun 6.5 (please dont snigger)

And the whole drivetrain seems to chirp, almost like a pulsing sound on full throttle and its really hard to determine where its coming from. I thought it might be the diff being a bit too loose, so i tightened it up a bit.. still the noise stayed.
I tightened the slipper, and it seem to lessen the noise a bit, but i cant help but feel that the drivetrain still seems really noisy.

With the motor unmeshed, the 'box feels beautifully smooth and free

Does the TRF 201 have a particularly noisy gearbox? Is there anything obvious that i should look out for when troubleshooting a gearbox on one of these things?
Maybe the EZrun is making the noise and is a bit of a pup?

Sorry for the newbie questions but previously, i sort of prided myself on my meticulous building.. any suggestions/ help would be massivley appreciated.
Old 04-04-2011

Check your diff setting. If it is too loose it will make a barking sound.
Old 04-04-2011

tamiya made some dodgy idler gears, but they have introduced an updated reinforced gear set.
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastinfastout View Post
tamiya made some dodgy idler gears, but they have introduced an updated reinforced gear set.
What were the symptoms?
Old 04-04-2011

Some quick suggestions:

it might be that the earlier mentioned idler gear has lost some teeth. Replace it with the reinforced Gear Set, part number 54262.
Is the mesh between the pinion and the main gear ok? It could make a weird sound if the mesh is too tight or too loose.
The diff could be too loose. Tighten it and see what happens.
Maybe you mean the sound when the Slipper slips? This should be easily to hear as it will only occur when you accelerate hard.
Can´t think of any other possibilities.

I ran my 201 for about 50 batteries now and apart from replacing the white gears for the reinforced ones and a worn pinion i had absolutely no problems.
Old 05-04-2011

Thanks for the suggestions folks. As quickly as the noise arrived, it went! Think it was the slipper in the end.. sorry for the absolutely newbieness of my question.
Took her for a shakedown in the park tonight... ermm.. not sure i shouldve gone for the 6.5T.. eek!
Old 07-04-2011

I agree, i tried my 6.5 in mine and it was a bit of a animal. I have settled with an 8.5 and larger spur gear and its a lot more predicable now.

jK