Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > The PlayGround

Old 03-08-2011
Mad Member

Default Web Designers

Hey Gang,

Just wondering if any of you can recommend some decent web developers that aren't stupidly priced.

Post up any links etc so I can check them out.

Cheerz,

Jon

http://www.xfactoryrc.co.uk/

UK Distributors of RCS Products

Old 04-08-2011

Just sent you a PM to see if I can be of any help Jon.
Old 04-08-2011
Mad Member

I can recommend the guy who did my site. Awesome guy, loads of help, and great ideas to go with it.

Have a look at www.telstar-racing.co.uk and if you like what you see i'll pass on his details.

Thanks

Matt
Old 04-08-2011
Mad Member

Thanks for the response guys

Feel free to pass on his details Matt and I will have a look.

Cheerz,

Jon

Old 04-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Just sent this link to a great designer I know Jon. Hope it helps

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 04-08-2011
Mad Member

cheerz buddy

Old 04-08-2011
oOple Advertiser

As far as I am concerned the best value for money is a man called Tom How - I am sure others would recomend him too.
Go to http://www.opsman.co.uk/ and have a look - he has many others too.
If its value for money you're after then you will look no further
Old 04-08-2011
Mad Member

Cheerz Tony, will have a look.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2011
Mad Member

Try http://www.jemmettfoxmedia.com/ it's a side of Jemmett Fox Accountants and Business Advisors where I work.

Tell them you know me and you might get a discount!

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 04-08-2011
Mad Member

Microdark in london are spot on. Click the name. I've linked it to their site.

Or Bighellodesign. Another clicky one, mouse over it.

These are london type design houses though so proper money but you'll get a very good site from it that will work glitch free...

However, my friend is a student, she'd do it cheaper, she can put some decent together although it probably wouldn't be as complicated...

Above all that though a huge number of people are now turning to word press, you can do it all yourself, and therefore you can keep it updated yourself, it's super basic, you don't need any software, it's all on the net so you just use your domain and upload as you would to hear or photobucket.

Google it, have a look. If you need Sam's details give me a shout mate.

My paintwork thread

Last edited by eyeayen; 04-08-2011 at 09:58 PM. Reason: highlighted the links
Old 04-08-2011
Mad Member

cheerz jcb

nice1 ian

Old 05-08-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
Above all that though a huge number of people are now turning to word press, you can do it all yourself, and therefore you can keep it updated yourself, it's super basic, you don't need any software, it's all on the net so you just use your domain and upload as you would to hear or photobucket.

Google it, have a look. If you need Sam's details give me a shout mate.
+1 - It's especially effective for a chronological/blog type site.

I'm starting to offer my services quickly putting together CMS (e.g. Wordpress, Joomla, Prestashop, whatever suits) sites, but for those semi-computer literate, eminently doable by yourself. Wordpress especially produces a pleasing result very quickly.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 05-08-2011
Mad Member

Without meaning to down talk anything you're doing Jon, how many of your customers would notice the difference with a website put together by a london designer like the ones I've mentioned as opposed to a word press one where you've done it yourself, saved yourself loads of money and it's still completely functional. If it's clear and you can sell your products on it I doubt many of us would really notice the difference. As long as people are wowed by your paint and products the site has served it's purpose.

I understand there is an issue with your time if you create it yourself already being busy and having to take time away from everything you are already doing for a website but at the same time how many jobs will you have to do to pay for it. Swings and roundabouts fella but certainly food for thought.

My paintwork thread
Old 05-08-2011
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeayen View Post
Without meaning to down talk anything you're doing Jon, how many of your customers would notice the difference with a website put together by a london designer like the ones I've mentioned as opposed to a word press one where you've done it yourself, saved yourself loads of money and it's still completely functional. If it's clear and you can sell your products on it I doubt many of us would really notice the difference. As long as people are wowed by your paint and products the site has served it's purpose.

I understand there is an issue with your time if you create it yourself already being busy and having to take time away from everything you are already doing for a website but at the same time how many jobs will you have to do to pay for it. Swings and roundabouts fella but certainly food for thought.
Valid point.

Are you after a site revamp to make it look prettier? or trying to generate more visitors to your site initially?

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 05-08-2011

Send a message via MSN to colmo Send a message via Skype™ to colmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0sie View Post
Valid point.

Are you after a site revamp to make it look prettier? or trying to generate more visitors to your site initially?
If it was the latter, I'd happily offer my services in exchange for a few shells. It should be easy enough to shoehorn a CMS backend into that site. The former, I don't feel I'd be qualified for though.

Photos:
Oople Invernational 2010 - Sodden Sunday
Muchmore N. Irish GP 2010 (Touring cars)
BADMCC 1/8th Nitro buggies

Current cars:
X6^2 | JC BJ4WE | TM E4 & E4JS | HPI E-Firestorm | Losi Crawler | + many F1s, super crawlers, scalers, drifters in the works...
Old 05-08-2011
Mad Member

To be honest I just need a few things adding to some of the menus and a new page or two adding for clothing etc. I really want a better shopping system too as the current Paypal one doesn't allow for many options.

I would like a whole new site so was just curious as to cost but I am quite pleased with the current one especially as my graphic skills aren't that hardcore and my bro doesn't do much web stuff. As said, the previous points are my main needs at present.

I deffinately wouldn't want to downgrade to a blogy type site thing as it needs to represent the brand to a certain standard.

Old 05-08-2011
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmiller View Post
To be honest I just need a few things adding to some of the menus and a new page or two adding for clothing etc. I really want a better shopping system too as the current Paypal one doesn't allow for many options.

I would like a whole new site so was just curious as to cost but I am quite pleased with the current one especially as my graphic skills aren't that hardcore and my bro doesn't do much web stuff. As said, the previous points are my main needs at present.

I deffinately wouldn't want to downgrade to a blogy type site thing as it needs to represent the brand to a certain standard.

Give us a ring on 01362 851118 and ask to speak to Jon or Antony, they'd be able to log in to your site while on the phone and perhaps work out what may be the cheapest and easiest option for you. After all the phone call is free and may help you decide on what way you want to go with things.

Norfolk Buggy Club- Norfolk's 1/10th and 1/8th Premier Off Road Model Car Club in association with BRCA East of England 1/10 Off Road Regional Racing

JemmettFox- Accountants and Business Advisors

Click any of the above to head to the website!
Old 05-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmiller View Post
There are other CMS around that don't look like blogs. I have used Typo3 in the past for web sites. It is also open source and free, this was one I did with it http://www.ans-ltd.co.uk (although since I haven't been doing web site stuff except for myself for ages, they've had a it re-done with a different design). Makes it very easy to add pages which will automatically appear in menus and change/add content yourself.
Old 05-08-2011
Mad Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think the best bet will be to stick with the site I have at present as it doesn't look too bad. (For those who haven't seen it.. www.rcsgraphicworx.com)

I would really like a better shopping cart system. Can anyone shed some light on that subject?

Old 05-08-2011

Do you have a database included in your web server package?

Might want to look at OSCommerce (also open source). It's a full on web store system but it looks like it would take some effort to customise the look, most web sites I've seen using it stand out as using it.

How often do your products change (inventory and price)?

The reason I ask is that I developed my own shopping system for my online shop which uses cookies to track the cart contents and sends the whole lot to Paypal or Google Checkout when the customer decides they want to buy. I use a database to store product descriptions, prices, paths to images etc. but it doesn't have a nice interface for adding or editing products so it's a bit of a pain for product management if changes are needed regularly.