Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Electrics

Old 12-09-2011

Default Buying a 2nd hand esc?

Hi

As title, is it ever worth buying a second hand esc? I am looking to upgrade from my "starter" Hobbywing 35a and 9T system. I have got a second hand 6.5t SP V3 but I am more worried about a second hand esc being reliable etc.

Is it better to pay the £100 +/- £30 for a new one which will last me and have a warrenty etc?

I know its a bit of a "pays yer money..." style question but other peoples experiences would be valued!

Cheers
Old 12-09-2011
Mad Member

Like most electronics, ESCs will either work or not. There is usually nothing inside them that will degrade over time.
Old 12-09-2011
Mad Member

i have had mixed results buying 2nd hand esc's... recently bought a very good condition tekin rs pro that has been faultless.

in the past i have bought a "very good condition LRP sphere" that had that familiar "blown up and repaired" smell - the seller claimed it had never failed but had been in a box next to one that had blown up, hence the smell.

It never worked.
Old 12-09-2011

I bought a second hand set . Losi excellroin 6.5t motor which was fine and a Orion Vortex esc which was shot. Went to 3 race meets that cost me money to go to and never finished a race as it would overheat or something. I got a hobbywing 120a v2.1 for £90 and its been absolutally faultless. Its the only new thing ive actually bought, all else is second hand.

Buy new and save yourself the hassle!
Old 12-09-2011

Default Given it is a quality product and a good seller - yes

Buying a second hand ESC is no different from buying a used brushless motor. If the seller has a good reputation and claims the speedo works as it should, then yes. If not, look for such an advert.
Old 12-09-2011

Good points all! Interestingly the H-wing 120amp needs the settings box for an extra £20 + £110 total.

Does the LRP from JE @ £129.99 come with a similar box or is that all laptop/usb and push button/led?

And would the Hwing work "better" with my V3 as its a "speedpassion" as well?
Old 12-09-2011

Speedpassion is a rebranded Hobbywing. You pay more for the SpeedPAssion as its for the UK market but in reality its just a Hobbywing. Look at Races in exiles website for the hobbywing.
Old 12-09-2011
Mad Member

The Speed Passion/Hobbywing ESC's come with a program box. You only need to buy the LCD box if you want to update the firmware/use the boost feature.

The SP and HW are really good speedo's. The Speed Passion LPF can be purchased for less that £90 new these days.
Old 12-09-2011

I'm currently running a Orca Q spark 7.5t combo and so far it has been as good as my LRP Speedo. The Q Spark has a turbo function and is very easy to use. Telstar will give you a good price on a new one.

Or you can go for a new speed passion Esc for around £90.00 as Matty said and purchase a new HPI Flux motor for around £50.00.
Old 12-09-2011

Yeah, i ve got a second hand 6.5 sp v3 just landed so trying to match a decent speedo to it. Is the connecting of an sp esc and motor easier with the sp connector system? Does it make it solder free or do i still need to get wires onto the speedo and the motor connectors onto the wires?