Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 26-11-2011

Default X6 Chassis Tweak

I've just joined the family with an X6 Squared!

I have been setting up the car, it's used, so I've not built it or had the rear end to pieces yet. When checking the corner weights I couldn't get rid of the right rear being about 40g up on the left.

I could correct it by making the shock collars uneven, but I found I could also correct it by giving the chassis a firm twist in my hands!

I guess it may be in the gearbox/bulkhead/shock tower mounting rather than the chassis. It's not a massive amount, but anybody seen anything similar? Or any ideas where the twist may be?
Old 26-11-2011
oOple Contributor

Don't screw the lipo in too tight, don't use the L that connects the motor plate to the chassis.
Old 26-11-2011

Just check the rear bulkhead is sitting flush on to the chassis. It's worth just taking a tiny bit off the back of the chassis to ensure this does happen as some of the bulkheads are slightly different where they seat, only a tiny bit but it's a close tolerance in there. Pretty sure it shows in the manual to check this. You can download them if you don't have one.

Not ever known of a chassis to tweak.

E.
Old 27-11-2011

Thanks for the advice. I took the rear end to pieces, it was quite dirty/dusty but the the bulk head seemed to be well seated. I decided to chamfer the chassis slightly exactly as it shows in the manual just to be sure, I also removed a tiny bit of flashing on the bulkhead where the inserts sit. I cleaned it all up and put it back together and the tweak's gone .

Is running without the motor plate brace recommended?

On my brace the thread's are stripped anyway... So may be time to get an alloy one.

I actually ran the car today, it was on a tight indoor track running foam tyres. I transferred the shocks and tyres over from my B4. The rear tyres didn't have much left and I'd been struggling for rear grip with the B4, so thought the chassis change would be an interesting comparison.

I was blown away by how well balanced the X6 was! Traction out of corners simply wasn't an issue. I went from 4 to 3 rear toe to actually get a little more steering. I also put 0.060" up from 0 for anti-squat to try and get a bit more side bite mid corner, this was the only place grip felt a little low. Compared to the B4 pace was 1-2 tenths up, but the biggest thing was taking the knife edge out of the handling, very happy .
Old 28-11-2011

You can put longer screws with nuts to hold the plastic motor brace.
Old 29-11-2011
Mad Member

Glad you got it fixed, Ian, and are happy with the car. Welcome to The Family!

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC