Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > X-Factory

Old 07-01-2012

Default X6 Sq gearing help please!

I'm new to the X6 Sq and I want to run a 10.5 so its manageable to start off with. If I'm using the 78T spur what pinion size should I be using as a starting point?
Old 07-01-2012
Mad Member

Start at 27
Old 07-01-2012

Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian h View Post
Start at 27
Old 07-01-2012

Quote:
Start at 27

Really??? Surely it's dependant on surface, track layout, motor type etc, I generally run 22T occasionally upto 26T but it all depends. I'd look for recomended ratio for your specific motor first.
Old 07-01-2012

Send a message via Skype™ to Timee80

i use a 29t on my speed passion if i dont use boost (on a big track anyway) so 27t sounds about right to me to start with
Old 07-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilRalph77 View Post
Really??? Surely it's dependant on surface, track layout, motor type etc, I generally run 22T occasionally upto 26T but it all depends. I'd look for recomended ratio for your specific motor first.
I never used to run less than 27 for a 10.5. That was using Novak, speed passion or LRP. This was high grip, carpet and astro.
Old 08-01-2012

Thanks for the info guys.

I presume the box ratio is the same as the B4. Started testing today with a 27t pinion and its was a good starting point giving me a ratio of 7.5. I then went up to a 31t which was fine at about 6.5 and down to a 24t which would give me about 8.5. The 10.5 motor was more than fast enough and with that pinion range it gives me plenty to gear up or down depending on the surface.
Really looking forward to racing the X6sq in the summer
Old 08-01-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPaul View Post
Thanks for the info guys.

I presume the box ratio is the same as the B4. Started testing today with a 27t pinion and its was a good starting point giving me a ratio of 7.5. I then went up to a 31t which was fine at about 6.5 and down to a 24t which would give me about 8.5. The 10.5 motor was more than fast enough and with that pinion range it gives me plenty to gear up or down depending on the surface.
Really looking forward to racing the X6sq in the summer
Also remember that gearing alters weight balance as the motor moves forwards or backwards. ie smaller gears moves motor back which will shift weight balance rearwards. I used to run 78 spur most of the time but sometimes 76/75 and drop 1 on the pinion to keep ratios the same.
Old 09-01-2012

i also use 29/78 with a 10.5 on high grip, 10.5 motors love big pinions !
Old 09-01-2012

Quote:
Also remember that gearing alters weight balance as the motor moves forwards or backwards. ie smaller gears moves motor back which will shift weight balance rearwards. I used to run 78 spur most of the time but sometimes 76/75 and drop 1 on the pinion to keep ratios the same.
Agree. keep to a smaller spur when using slower motors to reduce the pendulum effect of having the motor hanging out back. Ive just tried a 75t spur and 26t pinion on mine and it was ballistic. Helped along with 20 degree of boost and 10degree of turbo added in. This really helped to keep weight forward and give me the speed it needed.
It was actually much faster in my b4 than when i ran my 8.5t x12 in the x2c earlier in the day
i love that i can just drop the boost levels and leave the rest of the gearing alone for smaller tracks. Very driveable
Old 09-01-2012

does anybody make a 60t spur gear
Old 10-01-2012
Mad Member

Too small. Slipper pads & plate won't fit. 70 is about the smallest where the plate & pads will fit under the underside of the gear teeth. D.M.S. makes a great one.

Engineering Without Fear
www.XFactoryRC.com
www.facebook.com/XFactoryRC
Old 10-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timee80 View Post
Agree. keep to a smaller spur when using slower motors to reduce the pendulum effect of having the motor hanging out back. Ive just tried a 75t spur and 26t pinion on mine and it was ballistic. Helped along with 20 degree of boost and 10degree of turbo added in. This really helped to keep weight forward and give me the speed it needed.
It was actually much faster in my b4 than when i ran my 8.5t x12 in the x2c earlier in the day
i love that i can just drop the boost levels and leave the rest of the gearing alone for smaller tracks. Very driveable
Thats the wrong way round. The X6 is mid motored so a small spur will move the motor backwards, not forwards. Are you talking about the B4?
Old 10-01-2012

Sorry, yes it was a b4