Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > Vintage RC

Old 12-07-2010

Default RC10 screws in stainless steel

Found a great supplier for the aircraft-spec countersunk 8-32 screws on original rc10s. They are availabe in small quantities in a variety of aircraft-grade materials.

LAS Aerospace Ltd
http://www.lasaero.com/site/

beware of being tempted to buy ordinary 8-32 screws like those used on current Losi cars since the countersink angle is different and the screws will protrude. (I learned this the hard way...)

Basically, most countersink screws in the American standard have a countersink angle of 82 degrees. this includes the currently avail Losi items.

Screws used in the aircraft industry, however, have a 100 degree countersink. The RC10 chassis is aircraft spec.

For a full set, you will need (all 8-32):
16x 1/2 inch (one more if you still use the front bodymount)
1x 1/4 inch
2x 3/4 inch (the originals are actually 7/8 but 3/4 is fine if you've got a ballraced setup)

Cheers,
Ty
Old 14-07-2010

Placed the order late night Monday, and the screws arrived Wednesday morning... nice!

Check the difference... (yes, I got so desperate with that one old screw that I resorted to filing a notch on top!)

Here's the clever bit... I like to put nuts on the back of all screws into nylon for added strength and knowing that you can torque away without stripping out the plastic.

For the rear pivot blocks, there are enough threads in the back to put a nut on the back 1/2 inch screw. However, the stock 1/2 inch screw is too short to get a nut on in the front, due to the anti-squat. As a solution, I ordered a couple of 5/8 screws to put up front instead. The fit under the rear bulkead for the nuts is tight, but they clear. However, you have to notch the bulkhead a little bit for the longer screws to clear. It's thick nylon at that point, so I don't think it makes much of a difference. Nice!

Cheers,
Ty
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02370.jpg (81.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02371.jpg (46.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02372.jpg (96.0 KB, 57 views)