Go Back   oOple.com Forums > General > General Race Chat

View Poll Results: How far would you travel to a track and why?
I would NOT travel more than 100 miles 25 24.04%
I would travel more than 100 miles if the organisation was good 11 10.58%
I would travel more than 100 miles if the track was ace 45 43.27%
I would travel more than 100 miles if the food was ace 1 0.96%
I would travel more than 100 miles if the rostrum was ace 0 0%
I would travel more than 100 miles if top drivers were in attendance 2 1.92%
I would travel more than 100 miles if there was prize money 1 0.96%
I would travel more than 100 miles if it didn't clash with other events 1 0.96%
I would travel more than 100 miles if the meeting was part of a National competition 15 14.42%
I would travel more than 100 miles weather dependant 3 2.88%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15-09-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Dont see off-road only anywhere so stand corrected

I only do local club meets, indoor tc, so I dont go far.
Quite correct, it doesn't say anything about off-road only on this poll, but Tony's related poll asks if we prefer dirt/clay, grass, astro ........... have fun with the touring car on those surfaces
Old 15-09-2010
oOple Advertiser

Hi yah all, just to clarify that this is targeted at OFF ROAD racing tracks .....my fault I assumed everyone knew I only race off road.......

Another poll soon gents and I can only tell you that your input is so so valuable to the future
Old 15-09-2010
Mad Member

Tony just build a clay track with huge jumps, a great rostrum, good organisation, really good food & guaranteed no rain ever really close to where i live & i reckon you should see me there a few times a year!

can't say fairer than that

oh & chuck in a few hotties as well for some random clunge action & you'll be sorted
Old 15-09-2010
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Id drive over 100 miles if;

The organisation was good, the track was ace, the regular National/oOple drivers were in attendance, it didnt clash with anything I organsised, and it was either over a few days or not rushed like mad if one day (oOple Invernational for example!).

I dont care about prize money, why do I want to line the pockets of those who are always going to make the top end of the A no matter what meeting they attend?

Never really understood the idea behind the "dash for cash" thing. Yeah its great to watch the heros dominating the A, showing us why they are the top in the UK, Europe, World, but I dont see the fascination in giving them a shit load of cash to do what their sponsors sponsor them to do.

Currently:
JQ fan.
Bellend.

Forums are better than Facebook groups
Old 15-09-2010
oOple Advertiser

Default Prize Money

Lads - Prize money events are NOT giving the top drivers money - there are so many ways in organising these things it's unreal......

ps - I am happy that people are voting for the 'good track' as reason to travel as this is what I believe in but dissapointed to see some people would not travel irrelevant to how good a venue was.....
Old 15-09-2010
Mad Member

Tony,

If the track was awesome, dirt, didn't eat tyres, there was a big enough turnout and it was good weather/indoors, then I would make a longer journey.

I travel upto a couple of hours each way for regionals, so if a meet had 7-8 heats (preferably at least 5 heats per class) then I would see that as being a fairly large meeting and would find that appealing - even better if you could run a series (although it would probably be difficult to avoid clashes during the summer months).

But a 200 mile round trip for racing against 30 or so others (which I would guess is a reasonable turnout for a 'regular' club meeting) is not cost effective for me - sorry.

Knowing how ace "Planet Hampshire" was, if anyone can make it happen, it's you
Old 15-09-2010
oOple Advertiser

Thanks for the kind words....all I can say at this stage it's going to happen but it HAS to be right so patience is needed...
Old 15-09-2010

Send a message via MSN to rich_cree

I used to happily trek 180 odd miles or so from west london to tiverton for their winter series because it was the only dirt track and not think much of it. I'd be pretty happy to do the same again for a decent dirt track.

The drive to tiverton was all motorway pretty much too, so at least it made covering the miles nice and fast in the mornings.
Old 15-09-2010

I live in Bracknell (Berkshire) and used to travel 120 miles to a club in Essex.
I have to stop this now as the club is no more but the reason I went so far for club racing is the people, the track and the fact it was "laps" racing, although I still would have gone if it wasn't.
Old 15-09-2010

still missing some options tony.
for me a track needs to be ace and the organisation aswel and also the track time needs to be there . the first two could be good but if you just run 4 or 5 heats I will no longer make the distance and go race at a lokal track with les off everything.
I come to england more than the rest of my county men just to practice and get a small club meeting .
if I can have the track time on the saterday.
if you look at the EIR race this year they are planning a free pracktise on the friday , 10 qualifs on the saterday and sunday with even 3 finals for all on the sunday. that is wort the travel and this for 160 peaple . or like the oople race that was worth it to me.
hope this make's sence to you all.
Rude-Bits
Serpent
Fba section offroad chairman.
Old 15-09-2010
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by feniks View Post
still missing some options tony.
for me a track needs to be ace and the organisation aswel and also the track time needs to be there . the first two could be good but if you just run 4 or 5 heats I will no longer make the distance and go race at a lokal track with les off everything.
I come to england more than the rest of my county men just to practice and get a small club meeting .
if I can have the track time on the saterday.
if you look at the EIR race this year they are planning a free pracktise on the friday , 10 qualifs on the saterday and sunday with even 3 finals for all on the sunday. that is wort the travel and this for 160 peaple . or like the oople race that was worth it to me.
hope this make's sence to you all.

Hi and yes all is crystal clear - for club events I dont think we run practice on the day before but for sure I am liking the Saturday practice time on the track and this of course also takes away the home advantage and so on.....mmmm!!!!
Open practice on the Saturday and normal race format on the Sundays!!! MMmmm!! and we are talking Electric and Nitro here of course - Not on the same race events before anyone asks!
Old 15-09-2010

I am with Rich on this one i used to travel the 200mile to tiverton just to race on dirt.

Now i race 1/8th i still travel the 150mile+ to Slough or Herts just to race on dirt even though there are 3 astro tracks within 90 mile of where i live.

Given the option i would always travel further to race on a good (aka dirt) track with great organisation rather than the closest to home.
Old 15-09-2010

electriks tony.
in belgiem tracks are open the day befor a meeting so poeple would be able to set there cars up a bit and now the track . as otherwise ceeping up with home drivers is hard. U now becaus jou ware at the GP and I am not even a lokal there I drive at that track perhaps 2 a jear .
Rude-Bits
Serpent
Fba section offroad chairman.
Old 15-09-2010

It's all about the track for me.

Best location, best rostrum, best organisation, best catering etc all counts for Fuk all if the track sucks. Simples.

The point is validated by my home 8th club Slough. Although they now have THE complete package, many of the racers drive a long way just for the track. 100 odd entries for club meets sums it up.

Evdo, get it done!
Old 15-09-2010
Spends too long on oOple ...

Yeh MAAAAAAA, the winter's coming and we need a bigger pda 2!!
Old 15-09-2010

Well living in the south west we have to travel to go racing if we are doing nationals unless you do 1/12 as we have one in plymouth i have been traveling from plymouth to chesterfield to do the shootouts,just started 1/10 off road again so will be doing more than 100 miles to race but 99% of the racing is in the midlands but that is just how it is.
Just wish that clubs think about it sometimes i go on a sunday to go racing i dont care how long i am at the track but i dont want to drive over 100 miles for the tracks to be rushing through and booting you out the door
i know i have gone off subject but hay
Old 15-09-2010
Awesome Admin

Send a message via AIM to Col

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFF55 View Post
Yeh MAAAAAAA, the winter's coming and we need a bigger pda 2!!
Why did PDA close?
Old 16-09-2010
Mad Member

I voted for good organisation. But in fact mean how the race format is. For example Oople race was good, because lots of track time was assured. Friday practise, lots of qualifying and 3 finals for everyone.

That's the reason I'm not going to petit this year. Way too many people, you have to wait hours in between 2 runs, hardly any practise, and only 1 final (and tq qualifying).

So for me the main thing is track time, as it's a bit crazy to travel a long way to be a few minutes on the rostrum.

edit: so I agree with bart on this issue :-)