Go Back   oOple.com Forums > Car Talk > General Car Talk

Old 16-03-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Talking Diff Rebuild Service

Whilst chatting during a bit of down time last night we talked about the dark art of diff building .

It was suggested that somebody ought to offer their services for a complete overhaul and diff service on a 3 or 4 day turnaround. This could incorporate a postal return and also all items that maybe needed (shins, plates, ball, lube etc).

We discussed that we'd all be willing to pay for this service and we are all jointly, pretty useless at diffs!!!!.

So, anyone interested in a little side line?
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

I've been doing that for a while, send me the diff, buy some diff and thrust race balls an I'll do the rest for £5 + any other parts.
Old 16-03-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybucks View Post
I've been doing that for a while, send me the diff, buy some diff and thrust race balls an I'll do the rest for £5 + any other parts.
We're lazy. Can you source all the items?. Think people will be happy to pay for your mark up on them
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
We're lazy. Can you source all the items?. Think people will be happy to pay for your mark up on them
Depends on the car. If I stock the brand then yes. If not then I can, but it's not as quick to turn around.

However most diffs do not need parts. The majority of time it's just a case of cleaning, sanding the plates, replacing the balls, and rebuilding.
Old 16-03-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Tamiya, Associated, Schumacher
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudders View Post
Tamiya, Associated, Schumacher
Tamiya, and Schumacher I have parts for. Associated I would need to get in so an extra day turnaround if any other parts apart from the balls.

I have the full range of buds balls in stock, so most rebuilds can be turned around pretty quickly.
Old 16-03-2012
SHRCCC Legend

Ok mate, I'll spread the word and come back to you. Can you pm or email me prices for each diff posted back complete please?
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

Another good idea is if somebody made a really good tutorial on how to re-build a diff. At least that way if your diff fails during a race meeting, you'll have the knowledge on how to do it.

The only problem on somebody doing a diff for you is, once sent back how can you ensure the slipper is properly set, and who will re-tighten once the balls have bedded in? The end user will still require some good knowledge on how to do this, in which case he/she may be better to learn how to service themselves.

Another option would be to sell a service kit, which could include plates, balls and relevant greases including a tutorial.
Old 16-03-2012
oOple Advertiser

We do a ball differential abrasive paper kit with basic instructions and pictures on diff preparation and building techniques!
http://shop.cpdracing.co.uk/index.ph...roducts_id=239
Old 16-03-2012
oOple Advertiser

Quote:
Tamiya, and Schumacher I have parts for. Associated I would need to get in so an extra day turnaround if any other parts apart from the balls.

I have the full range of buds balls in stock, so most rebuilds can be turned around pretty quickly.
Matt if you are struggling to get AE diff parts a lot of them are coverred in the MIP diff parts ranges for their ball diffs, the parts used by both conmpanies are the same.
X-PARTZ - PHAT BODIES - RACERS EDGE - RM2 - DIRT RACING PRODUCTS - DMS INSERTZ
TKR GRAPHICS - BF MATERIALS - BATAN - DMS PARTZ - TEAM AJ
Tel : (01923) 816636
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie.T View Post
Another good idea is if somebody made a really good tutorial on how to re-build a diff. At least that way if your diff fails during a race meeting, you'll have the knowledge on how to do it.

The only problem on somebody doing a diff for you is, once sent back how can you ensure the slipper is properly set, and who will re-tighten once the balls have bedded in? The end user will still require some good knowledge on how to do this, in which case he/she may be better to learn how to service themselves.

Another option would be to sell a service kit, which could include plates, balls and relevant greases including a tutorial.

This is quite a good guide

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...er-clutch.html

Trader feedback
http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25152
Old 16-03-2012
Mad Member

Send a message via Skype™ to simoncrabb

Quote:
WAY too cheap in my opinion! A bargain.
Old 17-03-2012
*SuPeRsTaR mEmBeR*

Better still get geared diff's no worries !!!!
Old 24-03-2012

I would say anyone can put together a good diff if they can stick to some simple rules:

1. Take it all apart and clean it very throughly before inspecting everything and deciding what to replace

2. Wash your hands and work area down BEFORE rebuilding (there's no point rebuilding a ball diff if you are then going to contaminate the balls/rings with grease and oil - only silicone in your diff centre)

Keeping the inside of your diff contaminate free will greatly extend the life between rebuilds - grit and dirt in the diff and thrustrace (can be small stuff you cant see).
E.G. you have a slightly dirtly diff ring, this ring now gets a groove cut into it quicker than in a clean diff, the metal of the diff ring will then accerate the wear rate on the diff balls - and its just a vicouse cycle some people never break out of!
Old 24-03-2012

Very helpful video from Jiles Groskamp http://bit.ly/GLRvg3
This is how I learnt to rebuild diffs as well as advice from other TC drivers. Would recommend using associated stealth diff lube and black grease to build a diff nicely.

2011 DMCRC Mini Mod Champion / NFRCC Mini Champion
CWIC 2010/11 2nd Place Mini / Pirate RC SRS 17th 2011

Top Mini Sabre (Mini Mod), Tamiya M06 (Mini Stock) Tamiya M05
Losi 8ight EU, Team Associated / CML C4.1
Old 28-03-2012
Mad Member

Hi, i offer a full diff rebuild,clean and oil service.Please visit

www.service-rc.co.uk

I OFFER ALL FORUM MEMBERS DISCOUNTS!.

It doesnt say diff service,but it will be under labour charge.

Thanks and please do not hesiate to contact me.